Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bored, Won’t Leave Cage

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • JackWabbit13
      Participant
      73 posts Send Private Message

Hi there! My 9-year-old, blind, senile rabbit Jumping Jack is losing her mind, and making me lose my mind

Jumping Jack can’t get out of her pen to play. Not because we’re doing something wrong. But as I said earlier, she’s blind, so she doesn’t like to leave her pen. She just sits there, eats hay, plays with her toys, and sleeps. If I’m playing my guitar, she likes to listen, so I open her gate and she’ll hop out, but won’t go more than 4 feet or so away from her pen

I think part of the reason is the mat. I think most people use puzzle mats. We found it easier to go to Murdoch’s (Northwestern America version of Tractor Supply, for those of you who don’t know) and buy some horse mats. She seems to like those. The rest of the room doesn’t have the mats, just her pen, so she’s used to that feeling. Her pen used to just be the floor, so I don’t know why this is some kind of foreign texture to her now

I’m out of town right now. My dad is taking care of Jumping Jack for me, and he just sent me this:

I need to figure something out. I don’t have much money to spend, I can’t get another rabbit, and she is kind of senile (I think), so I don’t think I can train her to do anything new or make any kind of huge change. Ideas?

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

It looks like she’s been busy bunstructing newspaper? Her resting position looks relaxed. The left leg isnt straight, I dont know if it’s always crooked or if it just happened to be like that when your dad took the picture? Anyway, an unhappy rabbit wouldnt rest in that position. From what I can see, her weight seems healthy.

It could be that she feels unsafe on the bare floor now when she’s blind. But all in all, from your description she sounds like a happy older lady who enjoys life even though she’s not bouncing around like she did when she was younger. It’s lovely that she likes it when you’re playing guitar 💚

I think it looks like you’re taking very good care of her. Enrichment for her could perhaps be to add some other kind of hay (buy a small bag in case she doesnt like it), for some variation. And more stuff to bunstruct if thqt’s what she likes to do. Nothing expensive obv, just cardboard box houses etc. I’m guessing you’re already giving her that kind of stuff though.

Why is she making you lose your mind?

• Wick & Fable
          5782 posts Send Private Message

Flooring is definitely key for rabbits who cannot see so they can feel secure. Keeping the floor somewhat clear and having things consistent can also be important. As Bam asked, what has been bothering you specifically?

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
            16908 posts Send Private Message

Yes, the flooring is going to be what she is familiar with and, therefore, what makes her feel secure. For fun, could you make a trail of mat pieces that leads out of the pen and over to you? She might be more willing to explore if the flooring feels the same.

I agree that she looks happy. As bunnies grow older, we have to make adjustments. We can’t expect them to do all of the things they used to do. They narrow their focus on what is interesting to them. It doesn’t mean they are bored or unhappy, necessarily.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bored, Won’t Leave Cage