Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Bonding timing question

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ali925
      Participant
      544 posts Send Private Message

So I’ve been lazy, or perhaps just a bit too busy lately, and haven’t started bonding my two like I had planned.  Their history is 2-3 short bathtub sessions, the last of which was a little scuffle that scared the crap out of me and I have yet to try since.  This was back in August I think?  Months and months ago.  

Fast forward to October, we were selling our house so I moved out to my parents’ house with the bunnies.  Husband and I sold the house in November and since then we’ve been living with my family.  I had plans to start bonding since it was a new territory and still haven’t.  Now we’re about a month and a half or 2 months max before our new house is completely finished (we’re building new one).  

My question is, if I man up and start bonding before we move would that be the best situation?  If all goes well, then they cement the bond in the new house?  I’m just wondering how I should plan to do this since I’m lucky to have all the unfamiliar territories to work with.  

Currently they live in the same room with about a foot of space between their pens.  They’ve been living this way for a long time now,  I don’t see any aggression in this setup, but I fear they will be a difficult pair to bond just based on their personalities.  I really hope I’m wrong.

Any thoughts?

• mocha200
        Participant
        4486 posts Send Private Message

have you tried a stunt double yet? if not you should try it and see how they react, then you could try some sessions in a basket on the dryer.

• Elrohwen
          Participant
          7318 posts Send Private Message

I don’t really think it matters in this case – either way won’t be significantly easier I don’t think. You really just need to jump in and do it consistently. I think if you start now you should get them to the point where they can cement before you go to the new house. If you only get them halfway there, I can imagine you dropping the bonding during the move (at least I would!) then picking it up again later – at that point you might as well just wait until you move to the new house before you start.

So just think through which will be easier for you because I don’t think it will make a difference in their bonding.

• Ali925
            Participant

Thanks mocha I’ll keep that in mind!

Elrohwen, Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering since I may not be able to start soon enough to get much progress before moving… I’ve got a foot injury that’s got me in a walking boot and I’m not getting around all that well to be taking on the bonding just yet. So I know I’ll be delaying a bit more. We just got a tentative date for our house to be done in late March … so that gives me ample time to get started, if my foot improves quickly enough. Second problem is the husband is moving down early (we’re moving bc of his job relocation) and I’ll stay here until the house is done since I don’t have a new job there yet… I need assistance, so I don’t know if I’ll start without him. Although Dad did say he’d help…we’ll see I guess.

Thanks!

• Ali925
              Participant

Oh and Elrohwen…I LOVE that pic of Otto…he’s such a cutie!!

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Bonding timing question