Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING bonding questions…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Beth
      Participant
      10 posts Send Private Message

Hi,

I have a 7 yr old, neutered male New Zeland named Willoughby.  He was bonded with Flower (mini lop, neutered male)who recently passed away.  I have been thinking about getting him another friend.  I work at a veterinary clinic and we occasionally have people who don’t want their pets anymore, so I thought if a bunny came along that needed a home I would consider taking him or her.  Shortly after that thought, I guess everything happens for a reason, our practice manager told me about one of her friends husband became allergic to their bunny so they were looking for a home to place him in.  Butler is  approx. 2 yr old, intact male, English spot.  I had him neutered this past Thursday, so its only been 3 days since surgery.  They are separated right now.  Willoughby is in a x-pen and Butler is in cage that his previous owners had him in.  I have them side by side and there has been no aggression between them that I have noticed.  I was just wondering if having them side by side will hinder any bonding later on?  Tonight I put Willoughby in Butler’s cage and Butler in Willoughby’s x-pen, I had read that you can do that to get them used to each other scent.  Well, Butler marked with poop all over the x-pen, was rubbing his chin on everything, thumping, digging/pulling on the sheet I use over the carpet.  When I noticed he started doing all that I put them back in their own areas and hoped I didn’t do something I would regret later, when I introduce them. Is that just behavior of a male?  I do not plan on introducing them for another month, so Butler can get rid of some of his hormones.  Any suggestions that will help this bond to go smoothly when the time comes would be great, I just want to make sure I don’t do things that will  prolong bonding.

Thanks so much,

Beth

• Monkeybun
        Participant
        10479 posts Send Private Message

Thats just normal territorial marking. Chinning and pooping leaves their scent, I am finding that switching 2 of my bunnies between cages is actually helping them get along better

• Karla
          Participant
          1624 posts Send Private Message

Completely normal Even when they are bonded, you might risk seeing this poop behaviour for a while.

I suggest you read these articles:

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml
            http://www.fuzzy-rabbit.com/bonding.htm
            http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/introductions.html

Then you should be well prepared and know what to expect and how to proceed.

Right now, I think I would have them live side-by-side (if you see any aggression at all between them, cover the cage, so they can only smell each other). Also, I would buy two stunt doubles and let them get to know each other by using this double. And of course, switch litter trays.

Best of luck

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

Nothing more to add, but I am so sorry to hear of the passing of Flower. And thank you for taking in Butler…

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING bonding questions…