Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING bonding othello & calypso

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • aims
      Participant
      50 posts Send Private Message

Hi all,

I will be posting my experiences bonding my two rabbits Othello & Calypso here. Any thoughts/advice/observations would be greatly appreciated 🙂 I have had Calypso for about 1 month, and she is approx 6 months old and spayed. Othello just arrived and he is 2 months old and not neutered yet as he is still too young. I have read it isn’t a good idea to introduce a non-neutered rabbit to a spayed one, but I was advised as he is so young it should be ok because his hormones aren’t raging yet, is this correct?

Calypso is currently living on the balcony and Othello in the hutch I hope to move her into once they are friends. Calypso comes into the house and wanders around freely, Othello hasn’t done this yet.

OK, the story so far…

I made their first introduction in the bathroom where neither of them had ever been before. They began by sniffing each other’s noses, both of them with ears forward. Then they started to sniff each other’s bums and if I recall correctly, Othello began to chase her. I was not sure if they were fighting or playing, but they were running after each other very fast so I sprayed some water on them to break it up (as I read is a good thing to do), and Calypso went running over to my boyfriend Nick and climbed onto his lap for safety (which she has never done before). Othello then ignored her and began grooming himself. He did a bit of boxing at one point but stopped. Calypso sat with Nick for about 15 minutes and did not want to go back down to meet Othello, even after I put him in his carrier. She sat shaking and panting with Nick so we eventually took her back to the balcony.

Othello spent the night in his hutch. I put his carrier back onto the balcony with Calypso and in the morning I noticed she had peed and pooed in it, everywhere, which she has never done before. Maybe because his scent was in there?  we brought Calypso down to the garden and left Othello in the hutch. They were very interested in each other, sniffing through the wire at each other for about half an hour. Both had their ears forward and they seemed very non aggressive. Calypso enjoyed circling the hutch while Othello followed her from inside. He was very excited and seemed to want to play with her. She began running around the garden and did many binkies which I have not seen her do so excitedly before, so I thought she must be very happy.

We decided to let Othello out of the hutch for a while and put her inside instead, to reverse the situation. He took no notice of her and began exploring the garden while she insisted on sitting in his litterbox where he had just done a wee. Eventually we decided to let her out and see what would happen. She ran out of the hutch and immediately started chasing him; it’s hard to say whether they were fighting or playing – there was no growling or hissing or any sounds, but there were running very fast and we broke it up after about ten seconds.

Nick picked up Calypso and she was shaking but she seems to do this quite a lot. She didn’t seem to be majorly freaked out. When we put her back in the balcony she immediately flopped over and lay down as if she was very tired.

All up I’d say their first 2 meetings were (from my limited viewpoint) non-aggressive but I am concerned about the chasing. They seem very tense when they are in the same space together – it’s like they sniff each other and no one moves then suddenly someone gives chase and the other one bolts off. He is definitely more bold than her in all respects – he has been running around the yard everywhere, whereas the first time we brought her down there she very slowly explored the place with her body stretched out very long and low to the ground.

On the third day I created a wire fence to divide Othello’s hutch into two, because I was hoping to put Calypso in there for periods so that he doesn’t begin to think it is his and only his. They could poke their noses through the wire. I put Calypso on one side and Othello on the other, and they both stuck their noses through to suss each other out. He stuck his nose through and Calypso began to nip at him and soon enough they were both squabbling from either side of the fence, going up on their back legs to attack each other through it 🙁 they would stop fighting and then othello would put his nose through again and she would start nipping and scratching and then the fighting would begin again.

i let this go on for about 1 minute, trying to push her back each time, then i took her out. it seemed to me, she was the one initiating all the fighting. There were no aggressive noises but she had her ears back a few times, whereas his were up. The lady from the shelter where i got Calypso was very surprised to hear she was being dominant, and said all the other times calypso has been brought to meet a male she has been submissive. This time though, I’m bringing a male to her, so maybe that’s the difference?

i put her down outside the hutch and she seemed fine, hopping around the outside of it while he came up to sniff her through the mosquito netting (the difference this time being that no one could put their nose through anything because of the netting). they seemed to be playing, and both had ears forward, but a couple of times she tried to swipe him through the netting.

both of them have been rubbing their chins all over everything which i’ve read is a territorial thing. I haven’t seen her do it before but now she is chinning everything. She also did more poo and wee than i have ever seen before in the carrier he was in at one point!

I hope they can be bonded 🙁 the mozzies are starting to arrive with the warmer weather and i really need to move her into the hutch and off the balcony.  she also seems more scared of me now, as if she doesn’t like me for bringing her to him the last few days….

What are your thoughts, from what i have described above? I had thought, being similar ages (she is only 4 months older) they would be relatively easy to bond. She is normally very non aggressive, never nips me or anything. I am surprised to see her acting cranky toward Othello. He is slightly smaller than her but will grow to be larger, being a standard Rex. She is some kind of a cross.

Thanks for reading!

• aims
        Participant

Hi all, 

sorry for the lengthy nature of the first post! Hope it’s not putting anyone off helping me (help me!! help!! hehe).

as a quick question can I ask you guys, how long should i let my bunnies squabble for before seperating them? they appear to be struggling for dominance and i feel like i need to let one of them decide who is boss but i don’t want either to get hurt. 

when they squabble, there are no aggressive noises, but they circle and chase and seem to nip/scratch (happens so fast i can’t really tell, and i always break it up after 5-10 seconds).

here’s what happened on the most recent meeting 

We put celery, grapes and banana in the bathtub, along with that i rubbed some banana on othello’s face. At first when they were both in there it was looking like it could be ok; they just gave each other a couple of sniffs and sat not paying each other much attention for about ten seconds. then Othello mounted Calypso; she let him do his thing for about 10-15 seconds, then she got fed up and they started squabbling. There were no noises but just a lot of tussling.

I seperated them with a towel, using it as a screen, this worked really well. once they calmed down I let them together again but they started squabbling once more, so i poured more water on them. Each time i seperated them, Calypso showed obvious interest in being together again, by standing up and trying to look over the towel

At one point I held her down and put Othello on top of her to simulate mounting; she didn’t like this and they had to be seperated again. Then we tried it the other way around with her on top, but neither of them seemed to like it.

After the squabbling was dispelled with water, she lay on Nick’s lap and he lay on mine. both were facing each other and we stroked them and they became very calm.

So it seems they’re struggling to decide who is boss. I’m not sure how long i should leave them to settle their disputes before breaking it up…?

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

Welcome!! If at only 2 months old, Othello is already humping Calypso, they are not ready for bonding. You will have to wait another 2 months or so for him to be neutered and those hormoens to decrease. I know it’s frustrating to have to keep them separate at first, but you have to prevent a big fight from occurring because:

1) One or both can become badly injured, requiring emergency vet treatment/surgery
            2) A bad experience can hinder future bonding progress, making it impossible when they are ready to bond

It sounds from your post that they are outdoor rabbits. For the bonding process, you will want to have them indoors, and once they are close to bonded, they should be housed indoors for at least a 2-week period so you can be on hand in case any fights do break out.

• aims
            Participant

Hi Beka, 

thanks for this advice! I was told that, being so young, it would be ok to bond Othello as his hormones haven’t kicked in, but i take it you’re saying the fact that he is already humping means he is an early developer?!

They live outdoors, yes, but are free to roam around the house when I’m home.

If i continue to keep them apart as you have suggested, would you recommend i swap their living enclosures regularly to get them used to each other’s scent and make sure Othello doesn’t become accustomed to having the hutch all to himself?

Thanks so much

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

If he were not humping, you could try them together, but chances are the hormones would kick in anyways within another month and they’d still have to be separated. Very few bunnies (even baby bunnies!) can get along long-term before one or the other is altered.

Swapping enclosures won’t hurt. Even if you did a 3-day rotation, doesn’t have to necessarily be everyday. After he’s altered we can certainly direct you further as to what steps to take.

• aims
                Participant

thanks beka 🙂

as it is, i’ve now moved calypso into the bottom half of the hutch and othello is in the top half – they can’t access each other (and sadly can’t see each other) but they can hear each other moving about. i have done this solely because it’s warming up in sydney and there are a mozzies about so they both need to be somewhere mozzie proof ie. the hutch as there is no vaccination for myxomatosis in australia. so calypso cannot stay on the balcony any longer.

i will continue to keep them apart until he is desexed and then i’ll get back into the bonding and tell you how it goes!

if you can see any problems with the above housing arrangement please do comment. thanks so much!

• aims
                  Participant

just thought i’d update you to let you know the bunnies are officially buddies!

…and i didn’t even do anything!

i went away for 4 days and left them at the shelter where calypso came from. when i picked them up again the lady who runs the place said, by the way, they’re living together now!

i am really pleased as it was a huge pain looking after two in different areas. othello is getting desexed nov 1st so hopefully he doesn’t bother her too much with his humping. she seems to just hop away from him and then he gets the picture, poor guy 😉 she’s is spayed already.

i’m glad they are friends!

• jerseygirl
                    22345 posts Send Private Message

Had you told them you were hoping to have them cohabit? I’m surprised they would do this otherwise. I hope they do stay friends in the coming weeks. Some bonds are that easy – count yourself lucky! :o)

• aims
                      Participant

yep, i’d kept the lady well informed on my bonding issues. i really have no idea how she did it because they had been fighting before. actually, she told me the problem was othello kept chasing calypso and she trained calypso to stop running away from him. once no one was running, there was nothing to chase and no fights could ensue. now they seem to be real pals, licking each other and hopping off to sit with each other when i try and pat them, almost as if they are giving me the flick! othello is definitely more keen on letting me pat him than she is. it is cute they run to each other when frightened though 🙂

• aims
                        Participant

i just wanted to add, there is nothing like seeing a bonded pair playing, sitting, lying and grooming together… for all of you who are having bonding problems i’m sending you good luck vibes  i’m so happy watching my two together, they are so sweet!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING bonding othello & calypso