Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Bonding mixed signals?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • GlennTheLionhead
      Participant
      361 posts Send Private Message

Hello!

I was hoping someone may have some advice to offer. I am beginning to bomd my resident bunny with a rescue. I have had some experience bonding so I am familiar with the steps to take but I am a little confused about some behaviour I am seeing.

I have began by some scent swapping and I am have had the bunnies in adjoining pens for an hour or so a day for the last 3 days.

Through the bars I am seeing some nice behaviours of both bunnies eating hay, forage, grooming themselves and even flopping in close proximity with one another. However when I bring the adjoining pens close enough for them to touch noses the rescued female seems to show a little aggression. She tries to nip/bite my boy through the bars and digs/kicks at the bars with her front feet when he’s sticking his nose through the cage. Obviously I intervene straight away and move her back a little but it almost looks as though she ready to full on go for him through the bars. I then pull the bars back a little so they see each other but cannot not touch noses. The behaviour then goes straight back to both buns eating hay, flopping by the pens very close together and being relaxed around eachother.

Its such mixed signals. Is this normal? Perhaps it is just a sign that they need take it really slow?

Both are neutered/spayed and the girl is partially sighted.

Any advice or thoughts? Thanks so much!

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

This sounds pretty normal to me. I wouldn’t allow them to touch noses through the bars at all. Since the territory isn’t neutral, once she feels like he is actually getting in her space, she wants to defend it.  If possible, have them spend 24/7 next to each other. You can swap who is in what pen every day or so.

Once they are calm with this set up, you can start trying real dates in a very neutral territory. I’ve definitely seen completely different behaviors in neutral territory vs. through the fence in non-neutral!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• GlennTheLionhead
          Participant
          361 posts Send Private Message

Okay thanks! Thats reassuring. I guess the last bond I did they must have liked eachother from the start because they never showed any aggression towards eachother just dominance displays.

The funny thing is that I had set them up in adjoining pens in places the new bunny had never been and thats when she was showing the aggression… Perhaps she just staked her claim the spot instantly because her hidy box was in there.

Thanks for the advice.

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

Every pair really is different! Honestly the buns I’ve had the hardest time bonding ended up being SO closely bonded at the end of it, so it’s no indication of how things will go in the end.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Bonding mixed signals?