Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING bonding jack and julia

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • rosalie68
      Participant
      193 posts Send Private Message

i put jack and julia in a laundry basket together.   poor jack kept trying to jump out.  i bounced it on my leg for a few minutes then i walked around the room and up and down the stairs.  they were both too scared to even think about each other.  jack kept putting his head on julia for protection.  he was just so scared.  there was no biting or growling or anything.  i pet them a couple times and put them back in their pens.  i also put one of the boys litter boxes in her pen.  so she will be getting jack and charlies scent.  im so glad they didnt fight.  i was pretty nervous since she had boxed and tried biting them through the pens a few days ago.  they were only together for just under 10 minutes but did pretty well i think.  should i put them in the basket a few more times?  how many times should i do it before i move on to something else?  would i put them in the tub next or a bigger laundry basket?

• Deleted User
        Participant
        22064 posts Send Private Message

Do the same laundry basket session many more times, until you see them less scared and relaxing. Then move on to a new setting.

• rosalie68
          Participant

thanks petzy. should i do it more than once a day? is it better to do lots of little sessions or just 1 long session? i was also wondering, should i let julia out of her pen on the main floor where i let jack and charlie out or should i make a special place for her in a different part of the house to let her out? i mean let them out at different times of course. their pens are across from each other but i have a blanket on the side of julias so she cant see the boys. or do i keep her in there until she is bonded with them?

• Deleted User
            Participant

you said you are at home right now so if you have the time, by all means, make as many sessions as your nerves can take! Just keep in mind that the close sessions prevent rabbits from doing routines because of the stress applied, so they will need long breaks. I would go for a few days of several short sessions, three sessions spaced out over the day for example, then try longer sessions after that. –Have you gotten to know Julia a bit? what is she like? Is she a timid rabbit at this point, or curious, outgoing? Does she trust you a bit already?
              I would use the same exercise area for all rabbits separately but there will be poowars for you to clean up. Save as many areas as possible for bonding spaces. You may need them later. If you give Julia another area to exercise she will make it her territory altogether. Don’t let Julia box at the oys again, though.

• rosalie68
              Participant

well, she growls at me when i put my hands in her pen. she doesn’t come up to me too often while she is out. she is very shy. when she is out she binkies and explores everything. she will come up and sniff me or nudge me but if i put my hand out or move then its over with and she runs to hide. they told me at the shelter that she was very shy and it would take her a little longer to get to used to me. they said that everytime they went to her cage she would run to the back and hide. she is pretty territorial over her wooden house. if i put my hands near it she starts making noises at me. i dont feel like she trusts me at all. i have been trying to just ignore her while she is out.

i’ll try putting them together a few times a day.

• Deleted User
                Participant

Defnitely wear gloves then even for the basket sessions. She may inadvertently bite you as she will be insecure.

• Barbie
                  Participant
                  1581 posts Send Private Message

I remember you posting about getting Julia, but I can’t remember exactly when that was. How long have you been doing the bonding? I only have one bunny, so I don’t know if this would work or not, but I would suggest putting the bonding on hold for a week or two and let Julia become more comfortable in her cage and to bond a bit with you (things like hand feeding would help strengthen your bond with her). That might make future bonding sessions easier if Julia is more comfortable in her new home and less shy. Also… the growling and such sound like the beginnings of cage possesiveness and if you bond with her now and help her settle in, it might prevent any further aggression like that.

• Deleted User
                    Participant

I disagree with Barbie on this; if Julia is healthy, I would proceed with the bonding sessions before she feels at home too much. Cage protectiveness is quite normal. I would take advantage of the fact that Julia is out of her zone right now.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING bonding jack and julia