Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Bonding Help

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Mtowsley
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

I currently only have one bunny, he’s almost a year old and he has recently gotten neutered. My friend has to move and cannot bring her bunny with her and has asked if I would take her. Her bunny is and unspayed female and is quite old (about 8 years). I would hate to see her have to go to a shelter, but I don’t know if it would be safe to introduce them since she is elderly and isn’t fixed. I know it is ideal for both rabbits to be fixed but I don’t feel comfortable putting her through a surgery at her age. Would it be worth attempting to bond?

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

Hmmm, it may be possible if you take it slow. It used to be more common for unspayed buns to be bonded with neutered males, but it does depend a lot more on the personalities of the buns. If he is mounting relentlessly or she acts very aggressively towards him at their first meeting then it’s unlikely to work out.

For what it’s worth, 8 may not be too old to spay if you have an experienced vet, and could actually give her more years of life. I volunteered with a rescue that had a few 7 year old unspayed buns come in. They went to spayed them and found they already had reproductive cancer, but were able to remove it and the buns were able to be adopted out. 🙂

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Ellie from The Netherlands
          Participant
          2512 posts Send Private Message

Yes, the chances for cancer in unspayed females are high, very high. It’s estimated at >50% by age 4. I’d discuss it with a rabbit savvy vet to see what’s their take on it.

• Mtowsley
            Participant
            5 posts Send Private Message

Update- thanks for your advice! I decided to take her and attempt bonding. Lots of territorial disputes despite being in a neutral space. I did small introductions for a few days, and it seemed like they weren’t making much progress. If she hadn’t been elderly, I would have continued small play dates every day because I know it’s not typical for them to get along right away. However, I was worried that she was getting to stressed and I didn’t want to do anything that was going to harm her. Luckily, my brother fell in love with her so now both bunnies are living happily by themselves. Maybe I will try getting him a friend in the future, but this didn’t seem like the best pair.

• DanaNM
              8901 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like a good plan! I’m glad she found a home. 🙂 I’m sure they will enjoy each others company as neighbors, even if they can’t be bonded.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Bonding Help