Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Bonding Dates going well!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • skunklionshow
      Participant
      1257 posts Send Private Message

The hubby agreed to try Leo, the lionhead, from work w/ Jessica.  I’ve always loved him and really wanted to keep him, instead of leaving him at my job after I leave (8/3).  Anyway, I brought him Leo yesterday and he was ok w/ Jessica.  The only prob is that he keeps humping her head.  I can’t get him neutered until 8/8.  She looks so confused!  I have to spray him w/ water or pull him off her.  Why her head?  Can’t he tell the difference?

I’m very pleased that they are not fighting, since this occurred w/ her former cage mate Oreo.  So we are doing supervised visitations b/t the two of them.  The first date occurred in the kitchen, but they both moved back into the living room (where their cages are located).  So I’ll keep everyone posted.

The other problems are that:  1.  He smells..skunky!  Like the post under general.  I’m assuming this is cause he’s not neutered.  2.  He’s poop is really gross and stinky.  Grape clusters and mushy poops…maybe cecals?  He goes to the vet next week for his pre-surgery exam, so I’m post poning dealing w/ his poop til he goes in.

• BinkyBunny
        8776 posts Send Private Message

Bunnies that are just trying to display dominance don’t care which end they mount.  But if he’s also being a horn dog since he’s not neutered, he may also just be too excited to care. You are doing the right thing to stop him from mounting her head, as bunnies can seriously bite the "mounter’s" genitals.  It’s okay to let him mount her backside though.  If she allows the backside mounting, then pet and comfort her while it’s happening.

It’s a good sign that she’s not fighting him, but just becareful, because since he’s not neutered, his determination to mount may be stronger than ever, and she could get real tired of it, especially if she has patiently played the passive role.   That’s one reason I always advise that they both be altered.

His stinky smelly self could be due to many things.   The fact that he’s not neutered makes his urine and marking abilities even more pungent than normal   Can smell very musky skunkish. 

His smelly poop: If it’s excess cecals or ???, could be due to stress.

AND, on another where Poopy was complaining about her skunky bunny, I discovered that basil can actually cause a skunky smell. Well, not Basil itself, but a bunny that consumes it.  

• Hedi
          Participant
          969 posts Send Private Message

Head humping must be big these days! lol

Cooper did that to little Pookie. Because of their size difference (he is 5lb she is 2.5lb) I was afraid he would hurt her. She was such a trooper though. She would put her head as flat as she could and let him go and then if he stopped she would run away. I stayed with them and when he would start I would pick him up and put him the correct way. He would hump her on her side as well. lol But after continual reinforcement he got it down. They have been together almost a month and he doesnt even hump her anymore.

After two weeks he was horrible with the head humping and still fertile if you get my drift. Pookie has been fixed for a long time so no worries but I put off bonding until he was four weeks post op and then things were much better.

I would do what Binky suggests-get him a stuffed animal to hump that has Jessicas smell on it. That is what kept Cooper occupied the month I had him before surgery.

• skunklionshow
            Participant

I’m really not sure if she absolutely hates the humping?  When he is locked up in his cage, she lays next to his cage.  I was honestly worried that she would be really upset w/ his humping…but it honestly seems that she seeks him out…i.e. going after him, jumping into his cage, etc.  I just don’t get bunnies?

I will get him a "stunt bunny".  I just don’t want her to get hurt from his chasing her and humping her…after all she’s a dwarf and he’s a lion head. 

I can’t wait until he gets fixed b/c the stink is just awful!  I also think that Jessi appreciates the bunny companionship and would like to spend some non humping time w/ him.  Is the chasing OK?  She doesn’t seem aggravated by it…but sometimes they seem a bit worn from the chasing each other.

• Spacehopper
              Participant
              540 posts Send Private Message

Don’t overly worry, i panicked like mad when we first got Bean chasing humping….. a couple of weeks later they are inseperable, but i still have to remove one or t’other from head and hind of the other beast every few days. They don’t ‘alf confuse me. Bean’s cage has become a ghost town as after the first day she took it upon herself to join Brian in his, he wasn’t concerned, in fact i think he liked the company!

• Lucy
                Participant
                370 posts Send Private Message

mine were like that for a month- now it’s all love…

• skunklionshow
                  Participant

It is definately doing really well!  They really seem to like each other…though starting last night he likes to chase her around the cats’ litterboxes closet.  Leo likes to sit in the pink litterbox and Jess is so small that she hides behind it (it’s a highback litterbox). 

When I came home from work today, Leo didn’t come running out of his cage for Jess.  It was just the opposite, she came running out to his cage!  Goofy little guys.  I think she likes having another bun in the house!

• Lucy
                    Participant
                    370 posts Send Private Message

i love multiple bunnies! congrats!

• BinkyBunny
                      8776 posts Send Private Message

This is really good news so far! And it looks like it’s coming along in rather short order as well. Keep us updated.

• skunklionshow
                        Participant

OMG!!!! They are so sweet & cute together!  Leo likes to lay in Jessi’s bed, which is on the top shelf of her cage.  She lays on the shelf just below and gives him dirty looks when he does this.  The other day, she gave up and hopped into the box w/ him.  She ended up laying on his head.  As I went to grab the camera she hopped away.  Later she was back w/ him and not sitting on his head.  It was the cutest thing I ever saw.  It made me so happy that I brought Leo home.

Also, my vet said that once Leo is off cage rest I can try overnights w/ them in one cage.  Any input?  Its just going so well.  They seem to really love each other.  Jumping into each other’s cages, napping next to each other’s cages, etc.  I’m so happy they have each other!  I feel like Jess is getting that bunny companionship.

• MooBunnay
                          Participant
                          3087 posts Send Private Message

Hi! Once you’ve been able to leave them together for awhile and there has been no fighting, you can start expanding the amount of time that they spend together. It is a good idea to make sure that they are very comfortable with each other before leaving them together unsupervised, just in case a fight breaks out you want to be there to make sure that it is broken up before anyone gets hurt – how long have they been spending together and in what kind of environments? I saw in your post that they hop in each other’s cages, thats so sweet! Do they have dates in neutral territory at all?

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Bonding Dates going well!