Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Bonding baby male with 1 year old male

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Fluffbusters
      Participant
      24 posts Send Private Message

how young can a baby bond with a fixed 18 month old male 

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

Any bond that may come between a young rabbit to another rabbit, regardless of that other rabbit’s age, may be seen as temporary. By young rabbit, I mean one who is has not reached an appropriate age to be neutered/spayed. Rabbit bonds established before hormones develop likely to suddenly change once hormones come in, making that rabbit act on mating and territorial urges. Most likely, any baby rabbit would initially try and get along with your fixed rabbit; however, when they grow and experience hormones, this will change. Also, your rabbit may act on territorial urges due to a new rabbit’s presence, even if he is neutered.

The best recommendation I can give is adopting an already fixed rabbit and going through the bonding process with your rabbit. You can find information on bonding rabbits in the RABBIT INFO section of this website.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Fluffbusters
          Participant
          24 posts Send Private Message

Unfortionalty that was the plan but my boyfriend came home with a 6 week old bunny for me for my birthday .. qas not my ideal choice  of angidt as I osnt belive in pets as gifts… however I am an experienced bunny owner and I already have one 18 month old male who is neutered and I have a 5 year old female who is spayed. I have set up this new little babies running space in my bedroom he is very small and I would like to bond him with my older male, however I know bonding meals can be extremely difficult. I am prepared to house all of them separately if I need to I just didn’t know what age they can be bonded I know they had to be fixed I just didn’t know if it would be different for a baby. I’m going to have to wait a little bit and get him fixed and see how it goes I guess. My question is is that if I do put this little baby in the bunny room with the others in their own separate x pens well that upset anyone? I have an entire bedroom dedicated to my rabbit so they can roam free and they are all in their own separate expense at this moment so I do kind of know what I’m doing I’m just learning at the same time.

• Wick & Fable
            5781 posts Send Private Message

Objectively, if they are all housed separately and cannot touch each other (gaps in between pens), then it is safe. You will want to observe how each rabbit reacts though. None of them may care or one/some/all of them may become stressed due to the new rabbit being there.

Yes, once the male is neutered and given at least 1-2 weeks to recover from it, you can begin the bonding process. Male to male bonds are possible.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Peanutthebunny
              Participant
              239 posts Send Private Message

they can be bonded any age

• LBJ10
                16907 posts Send Private Message

Young rabbits cannot form true bonds. I agree with Wick. The baby may want to get along with your current bunny and your current bunny may or may not see the baby as a threat. Everything will go out the window though once the baby starts to mature. For now, it’s best to keep everyone separated. Then work on bonding once the baby is neutered. It’s a myth that males are difficult to bond. It all comes down to the personality of each bunny. Two males can most definitely be bonded if their personalities work well together.

• pinkiemarie
                  Participant
                  414 posts Send Private Message

So here’s what happened with my boys. Your mileage may vary. They had a love at first sight bond and it was beautiful! Then the younger of the two (he’s only about 6 months younger and the older was already neutered) got hormonal and mean. Lots of humping and ripped quite a bit of hair off his poor big brother. My vet was ok with neutering him at that point so we had it done and within a few weeks they were back to normal. But the hormonal shift will happen to every rabbit and can change the dynamic so be prepared to separate them for a few weeks if needed and possibly rebond again later.

• DanaNM
                    8935 posts Send Private Message

Echo what’s been said already, male-male bonds are totally possible once everyone is neutered. Once he’s healed from his neuter and his hormones have had some time to drain you can start working on their bond. If things seem a little crazy with them at first he might need more time for his hormones to settle down.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Bonding baby male with 1 year old male