Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Bonding Baby BUnnies

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • zeldabuns
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Hi all, I’m a newbie here.  I just got a 9-week old Holland Lop, and I was thinking about getting her a companion.  I’ve heard it’s easier to bond rabbits when they are young. But I also know that it is better to spay/neuter them first and wait a couple of weeks before introducing them. So, I was wondering if it would be better to get her a companion now, and get them both altered later, or, if I should wait, get her spayed, and then find an altered companion for her?  I’m thinking I should wait, but I thought I’d get some other opinions. Thanks in advance for any help.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

I think you’re on the right track. Wait and bond with her yourself, and get her spayed (that way there is also NO chance of baby bunnies-rabbit’s are easily mis-sexed) and then do some ‘bunny dating’ and find her a companion

• MooBunnay
          Participant
          3087 posts Send Private Message

I agree with Kokanee – I think you have the right idea. Even if you wait a few weeks to get her spayed AND then also wait a week for her to heal, she will still be a young bunny, and will probably still be relatively easy to bond (generally speaking, you never know for sure with bonding!) If you wait, you also have some time to get to know your bunny, and get to know her personality. You’ll also have time to read about bonding and time to peruse the local rescues for the ideal bachelors for her!

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

definitely wait! if this is your first bunny (and you’re like me!) you probably have a lot to learn! rabbits are not as simple as people think they are. so stick around here and absorb as much as you can. get to know your new bunny, get her spayed when she’s old enough and then a month post-spay, start the process to get her a companion. that’s what i did with my first bunny. she was a single bun for ten months, and just last month we got her an already neutered friend and things have been great!

• zeldabuns
              Participant
              2 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for all of the advice. I’m definitely gonna hold off for a while, and she seems to be pretty happy by herself at the moment.  She’s not my first rabbit, but it’s been a while since I’ve had them.  I used to have a pair of mini lop bucks as a kid but I bought them together so I didn’t have to worry about bonding, or baby buns!

I’m really glad I found this forum and I look forward to talking more.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Bonding Baby BUnnies