Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Bonding a Trio – Fights

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • mylo.myrtle.summer
      Participant
      7 posts Send Private Message

I have 3 bunnies, Mylo, Myrtle and Summer. Summer is the new bunny, Mylo and Myrtle are my original pair which I bonded late last year

I am looking to bond Summer with Mylo and Myrtle. All rabbits are neutered and have been living side by side for the past 3 months.

I have attempted to bond them before in the bath tub. The two lops (Mylo and new bunny Summer), did get on originally when on play dates, dat together and grooming but summer just started fighting with him which was quickly parted. Then summer would start fighting with Myrtle. So I tried them on the bathroom floor…same situation there.

So i decided, given that we are on lockdown and we are staying with my patients during lockdown that I would give it a rest for a while.

I tried again on Friday using some NIC grids in my room making a small square – a fight attempt was made which I stopped before it started.

Just some notes below;

All bunnies seem on edge (including me).

The fights don’t seem bad – just rolling around on the floor with fur pulling. None have ever been hurt.

The new bunny appears to start the fight.

There are no warnings before fights. Just when near each other.

I have swapped litter trays – not much interest is given.

Has anyone get any experience with this?

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

Hi there, welcome 🙂

So to me, “rolling around” on the floor with fur pulling sounds to me like fighting, and should be prevented. A little nip is OK. Some bonders allow fur pulling, I try to prevent it. Especially if it escalates to true fighting. It is very important to prevent fighting. You can try petting everyone when they approach each other so they think they are getting groomed and help build calm feelings.

Have you tried a large space? Some folks like small spaces, but I have personally always found things to escalate to fighting more quickly in small spaces because they have no way to interact naturally and no where to escape. If your options are fight or flight, and you can’t flee, you can only fight.

Some people also prefer to work with the pair that is having the most trouble separately when working with trios, or they might also do this if they have trouble managing all three at once.

If you check out the “bonding template” in the bonding section and paste it in your reply with a bit more info that will help us give you advice based on what you’ve done so far.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• mylo.myrtle.summer
          Participant

Thanks Dana! Please see the template below 🙂

I have had another session today with just the two lops (so the two that have had the most fights). This was a little better, although there was a very tiny hiccup which was stopped. The problem being, she tries to get very close to him, and she will bury her head under his stomach. He will then do a digging movement and she will pounce on him. This is how the first fight happened.

So today’s session was ok – i say in a small pen i set up for the session with some food and treats. Mylo just say there and looked tense, where as Summer was eating and trying to interact with him.  I also gave both head strokes throughout the session as i knew Mylo would not give groomes (as she was requesting) so i did this to prevent any fights.

But no fights happened – although i was still a little on edge. Tomorrow i will do the same thing but with the two girls. I am thinking if i can just have separate sessions rather then with all 3, until i am more confident about less negative exchanges, before attempting to bond all 3 together.

Spay/Neuter
            Are your bunnies spayed/neutered? Yes
            If so, for how long (for each)? The last one to get spayed was just before lock down – so coming up to 4 months.

Housing
            Please describe your bunnies’ current housing set-up (living together, as neighbors, etc.).

The two bonded rabbits live together in an open pen, while the new single bunny lives in a temporary accommodation next to the pen. A brick is placed between the two cages to stop them getting within reaching distance. 

Bonding background
            Did you allow the bunnies to “settle-in”? Yes, although there was a slight negative interaction on the second day of the new buns arrival as one of the bonded bunnies managed to get to close to the bars. 

How would you describe your bunnies reactions towards each other (answer for each bunny): shy, scared, curious, calm, aggressive, excited, affectionate, etc.? Territorial, as the new bunny was a fully grown, un-spayed female when she arrived. So the sight of her would cause my two bonded buns to have small fights with each other so i had to use a cloth to cover each cage and pen when either rabbit was out an about. This has improved since her spay, however small negative interactions can still happened if they get to close to the new bunny rather then within the bonded pair. 

Have you done any “pre-bonding” (cage or litter box swaps, etc.)? Yes

If so, for how long? For the past 2 – 3 months. Although i could probably do more item swapping. 
            Have you started sessions yet? Yes
            How long have you been working on bonding your bunnies? The first session was in April / May time
            How frequently do you have bonding sessions, and how long are they? It use to be everyday, however the bonding sessions was getting worse due to the stress. So I gave them a break and have just started again.
            Have you tried any stressing techniques? I do not drive so i cannot take them out in that way – but i have tried changing their environment. 

How do you post media here?

I would post photos and videos but it wont allow me.

• mylo.myrtle.summer
            Participant

• DanaNM
              8930 posts Send Private Message

Oh my gosh they are cuties!

I think you hit on a good strategy. Any session where they don’t fight is a good one. When she comes and buries her head under him, she might be asking for grooms (although a bit unconventionally), so those times are when you should pet pet pet them both to keep everyone calm.  I think continuing cage/litter box swaps every other day is also a good move, so long as it doesn’t upset your current pair.

It might also be helpful to read some bonding journals of other’s who have bonded trios on this forum, if you search “trio bonding” in the forum.

This one was a successful one that I think might be helpful: Luna & Sirius’s Journal: https://binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/aft/165467/Default.aspx

Notice that the intro of the new bunny did cause the current pair to split up, but she then was able to bond all three successfully. This might happen with you as well, so it’s something to be prepared for.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Bonding a Trio – Fights