Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Bonding a baby to an older bunny

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Maple
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

Hi everybun, I’m new to the forum so I apologize if I did something wrong creating this post, I wasn’t sure what to do.

I have a 10 month old female bunny called Maple, she was spayed when she was almost 6 months old! She is an adorable bunny but not very cuddly and I have always thought on getting her a friend so she won’t feel so alone during the time my husband and I are at work.

My friend’s duo had a litter and she’s donating the babies so I thought I would get one. I will be getting the new bunny on December 26th (SUPER EXCITING ???) she took the babies to the vet and I will be getting a male which I named Dusty, he will be 2 and half months old when he arrives home!

I read a lot about the bonding process and how is recommended to have the both bunnies fixed before introducing them, and all the controversies on bonding a baby to and older bunny but here is my questions. I had a plan to keep Dusty the new bunny on my living room and leave Maple on her bedroom as usual until Dusty gets neutered, but I thought during this whole period I could introduce their scent to each other by exchanging their litter box and stuffed animals and maybe occasionally have them seeing each other. Now I wonder if that’s a good idea since once Dusty hormones kicks in won’t he become territorial and dislike Maple’s scent in his cage?
        Is that a good idea at all or should I just keep them apart until he gets neutered?

If someone has another idea for me, please let me know I’m really confused about all this.

Thank you very much for reading all this and taking the time to help me! Sorry for any English mistakes it’s my second language.

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

Hi there, welcome

And congrats on the new bun

So, since Maple is spayed, you can have them side by side if you want, and/or do pre-bonding litter box swaps etc, if you would like. It won’t harm anything, but it probably won’t help much either, as his scent will change a lot once he hits puberty, and again once he is neutered. I’m guessing Maple’s litter box habits will go out the window with a stinky hormonal teenager around. :p So you really won’t be able to start the “pre-bonding clock” until he’s neutered.

So if it were me, I would probably just wait until he’s neutered and healed to start the pre-bonding things, just because it’s less work (and less work cleaning up all the territorial marking!).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Maple
          Participant
          4 posts Send Private Message

Hi thank you so much for your answer ??
            I did not know their scent change throughout the growing up period, even though now that you mentioned makes a lot of sense haha
            Thanks very much for your help, I will follow your advice and wait for Dusty to be ready for bonding!

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

You’re welcome!

Of course we would love to see pics of baby Dusty, and Maple too!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Bonding a baby to an older bunny