Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bonding

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Tripppysmurf
      Participant
      10 posts Send Private Message

I am thinking of buying a bunny of my own to bond with the female rabbit we already have. I am not sure exactly how to bond rabbits. I read the article here about it but any extra advice on what to do for beginning stages?

• osprey
        Participant
        2065 posts Send Private Message

Bonding bunnies can be a little tricky, as they have definite likes and dislikes.  Both should be spayed/neutered before introduction, and the introduction should take place somewhere neutral, where neither bunny has left their scent.

Are there any rabbit rescues and/or shelters in your area?  Rescues and shelters will often have volunteers who can help you with introductions and the bonding process.  There is also good information on bonding here at BinkyBunny and at http://rabbit.org

• Gravehearted
          Participant
          2428 posts Send Private Message

I’d second Osprey’s excellent advice – please please consider adopting, ther are many wonderful bunnies in need of a loving home. Most rescue groups will help your bunny through the dating process and finding the right match. Is your bunny spayed yet? Both buns really need to be fixed first.

I’d recommend reading through the bonding journals and even some of the \ recent posts about bonding. It definitely takes a commitment of time, patience and consistency – but the outcome is very worth it! Bunnies can be territorial and it also takes some time for them to figure out who’s in charge. At first you’ll work with them in short periods of time in a neutral space – like in a dry bath tub or kitchen, take them for car rides for slowly increasing times. There will likely be times they’re mounting and aggressive, but hopefully they’ll work through it. You slowly increase the bonding sessions over time as the bond strengthens. Bunny love at first site is VERY rare an extremely easy bond can be under a week – but most are several weeks to a month or even longer. After they are fully bonded they’ll be able to live together.

• MooBunnay
            Participant
            3087 posts Send Private Message

The best way to have a good bond is to start off on the right foot, and the best way to do that is to take your bunny on several dates to see who your bunny gets along with best. The only way to do that, as Osprey and Gravehearted mentioned, is to go to a rescue, because at a pet store it will probably be difficult to get the proper time, attention, and information from the staff to do an introduction. Often the staff of a pet store will not even be able to tell you the gender of the bunny correctly. I used to be in the So Cal area, and the Bunny Bunch is a great rescue for that area, now I am in Dallas, and the North Texas Rabbit Sanctuary is a good rescue group out here. You can try just googling “rabbit rescue” and the name of your city to fin out what is around you.

Good luck!

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bonding