Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Bonded – went to vet – now they hate eachother

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Jenalynn
      Participant
      75 posts Send Private Message

Sweet Pea and Buzz have started bondind at the beginning of January -it really went awesome… it only  took about 2 weeks in the “neutral”area before we moved them to the bedroom where they both individually played.. and after a week in there they were able to roam freely together anywhere, and have been sleeping in the same cage together for the last 2 weeks – and it has been PERFECT!…. Well I took buzz this past  saturday to the vet to get his tooth extracted and found out he has a uTI, and when I brought him home sweet pea ran to him and sniffed, and groomed him since she was wondering where he had been …they seemed fine…. and then all the sudden buzz was charging at her, and then she was charging at him, and it as been almost 2 days now and they still are iffy with each other….. there are sometimes where they will be by eachother for a second and be fine and then all the sudden sweet pea is trying to bite buzz (which was the complete opposite when i initially started the bonding)…he was the more dominant one who did the charging – this time both of em jsut go after each other – its worse than it was when I initially bonded them in the regards that sweet pea is being submissive – she fights back

So …I guess I need to start re-bonding???

My other issue was that  I have to take him back to the vet this saturday for a urinalysis so I didn’t want to start bonding again and then take him to the vet and then start all over again for the 3rd time, but I called the vet and told her what happened- so she suggested I bring Buz and sweet pea to the vet together – so she can get the sense of smell he is bringing home and what not….

So I am going to start rebonding this week – and then bring them to the vet together – and hope this works!

Any opinions or similair experiences?

Lol you guys make me feel somewhat sane when it comes to my bunny issues….=0)

• Karla
        Participant
        1624 posts Send Private Message

Yeah, same thing happened to me recently. I had to do a lof of banana on the forehead-trick. The thing was that since Jack had his incissors removed, he was really not up to licking Molly, who is the dominant one, and so she would not let him be, but would bite him when he refused to groom her. But I found out that when they were in the cage at the same time eating, there were no problems. So I would lock up Jack and Molly together in the cage hoping that could help a bit, and then when I was around they were free to run as usual. It worked out after a week, but it was so sad to see Jack in pain and also being chased around.

Since you are bringing them to the vet together quite soon, they should both smell the same, so your problems might be solved then.

• Monkeybun
          Participant
          10479 posts Send Private Message

Definitely take the buns to the vet together once they are bonded, it helps so that they don’t smell different when getting home, sometimes they get all confused that their buddy doesnt smell the same, and think its another bunny all together. So its better to always take them together, even if one doesn’t need to see the vet.

• Lintini
            Participant
            3329 posts Send Private Message

I have read in lots of different articles to bring bonded pairs together to the vets for procedures. Vets don’t usually mind at all, of course it’s good to ask but it won’t be a problem I’m sure. When the parrot gets her beak trimmed our dogs come too just because it’s an outing and they are loved by the staff there.

• jerseygirl
              22345 posts Send Private Message

What a shame! Try not to think of them as unbonded but that they’ve had a tiff that needs patching up. Some stress bonding techniques and time in a pen should help. Car rides and the likes. Dual petting, swapping hands between them to mix up their scents.  One thing you could try is to get a towel/blanket/plushie that they’ve shared in their pen and rub it over Buzz, transferring the scent and hopefully masking any difference that Sweet Pea is picking up on.
                Definately try keep them together once bonded. It’s common for this to happen after vet visits.
                I was hesitant about suggesting stress bonding given Buzz’s ailments but he’s likely stressed having her aggressive and also being separated from her anyway, so in my opinion, I think getting them back on track would be better for him.  Of course, you’re in the best position to know what’s best, so gauge how he is as you go.

Good Luck!

• Jenalynn
                Participant

AHhh I guess I shouldn’t lose hope… I feel just stressed myself.
                  I finally had them bonded beautifully which made my day so much easier with my crazy schedule.. and now since the vet they are worse than they ever were… I feel as if I won’t be able to re-pair them …. but I think this is just because of the stress I am under..I don’t have my hopes as high as I should.
                  For the people who have been through this before… how long did it take you guy to re-bond… and did you really start from step 1 in bonding process….
                  I have been hoping if I just let them out together and get to smell each other they will kind of make up by themselves..but It is like they will be by each other and be fine and then all the sudden sweet pea goes to bite his face…. which she never ever did! =( =(=( …. thanks for all the advice… and keep it coming if there is more out there…

Once I successfully rebond- they will NEVER leave each other! lol

• Jenalynn
                  Participant

I did the mutual petting while they were together in the same cage… and all was going well _ i petted for a about 5 minutes..swapping hands to get the smells together… and then all the sudden sweet pea went right for buzz’s face and then he lunged at her… and then I shewed her out of the cage and into her own…. – so I know they won’t rebond on their own… I am definitely going to have to retry all over again

• jerseygirl
                    22345 posts Send Private Message

Wonder why she’s going for his face? It’s possible to that he’s acting out of character too due to the possible UTI. Is he on any med?

Do you have to take him back in? Can you just take a urine sample in or are they taking a sample via needle? Sorry for all the qu’s!

ETA: Whose cage did they spent the last 2 weeks in?

• Jenalynn
                      Participant

I am not sure why she is going for face area… I am not sure about the UTI playing a part of the issue. He is on meloxicam, metoclorpromide(or however you spell it – to keep his gut moving for the teeth issues), and he is on baytril for the UTI….
                        I have to take him back in this Saturday – because there is no way I am going to get a clean sample of urine from him and get it to the vet within 2 hours… I do NOT want to take the chance of the results being inconclusive because there was bacteria wherever he peed. So the vet suggested to bring them in together. They spent the 2 weeks in Buzz’s cage. And sweet pea wants to get in there so bad again, and I let her up there to see what happens, and she will just lounge and lay around, but then buzz and her will meet and then after a couple seconds they go at it…..

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Bonded – went to vet – now they hate eachother