Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A bonded vs single?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • mschoonover11
      Participant
      288 posts Send Private Message

Toby is a single bun but sometimes I wonder if it’s best to get him a companion. Since I first got him, I always wanted to get him a friend. Do bonded bunnies live longer than single bunnies? I’m considering it since next year I’m going to school and I’ll spend more time out of the house. I don’t want him to get lonely and depressed. Would  the cost much more? Is it ok to have 2 bunnies while living under your parents? My parents are starting to get much better with Toby. We figured out a way to let him out all day.

• Daisy
        Participant
        199 posts Send Private Message

Food costs will double as there will be two mouths to feed. These costs are not that big, as food is not that expensive anyway. I still take months to finish a 10 kg bag worth 30 euros of pellets with 2 bunnies and hay can be as cheap as 5 euros per 20 kg.  I go through a kg worth of hay per week. That’s with a 2 kg bunny and a 3 kg bunny, for reference.

Litter costs won’t really double, you may need to clean a little more but it’s not double the work I don’t think.

Vaccination costs double as well as vet costs, but I’ve only had 1 fragile bunny that needed a lot of vet visits in my life. The others either never saw a vet or just ended up there to be put to sleep. This will thus heavily depend on the health of your bunnies and is a matter of luck.

The huge pro of having a couple is that they will never be lonely. Rabbits live in groups, they are not made to live alone. A human can keep them company but they will never replace a bunny friend to snuggle with. Especially with you having less time for him, adding a friend would make your bunny very happy and not dependend on your company anymore.

• Ellie from The Netherlands
          Participant
          2512 posts Send Private Message

That’s amazing, I hope that he can become more a part of your family now!

Single vs. bonded is a very difficult question to answer. It depends a lot on the rabbit, all practical matters aside. Many rabbits do totally fine as long as they can roam and have the freedom to seek out human companionship. That depends on where the rabbit lives. If he’s in the center of your family life it’ll be fine, if a rabbit is in a bedroom he’ll likely need more companionship.

There are several ways to find out whether your rabbit would be better off with a companion:
            – Are there signs that he’s bored? (Destructive, behavioural problems)
            – Are there signs that he has trouble caring for his own fur?
            – Is he alone for many hours a day because people are at work or at school?

• mschoonover11
            Participant

thanks!!!

Sometimes, or most of the time I should say, he’s pretty destructive. He does stay by himself most of the day in our basement, but I’m working on spending more time with him. And I could kind of tell he has trouble taking care of his own fur. Every day his fur looks very messy.

I hope this was enough info tell me if you need more. Also, please let me know if you guys think I should bond him or not. I will be a freshmen in high school next year so I’m still under my parent’s roof. That’s something I need to consider.

• Deleted User
              Participant
              22064 posts Send Private Message

For me I say don’t bond him. You’ll be in college in a few years (if you take that option ?) leaving your parents to tend to Toby and another bun alone. Not to be rude, but they haven’t been the greatest. They’d have to be as committed as you are. You take good care of Toby, but your standards are different than their standards. Look how long it has taken to get an actual physical for Toby.

I have two single buns, and I’m not going to lie, it is hard work. It means having completely separate play times until Bun #2 is fixed, and then they are bonded. Which means less time for each. It also means twice the food, hay, and litter, which isn’t a huge deal, but then think about vet costs. What people don’t think about with another bunny are the potential vet costs. Everyone assumes their second bun will be just as healthy and relatively low maintenance as the first, but you really don’t know. Asriel hasn’t had any issues at all, and Bombur has cost me almost $5,000 in the past year I’ve had them. Bombur has had multiple GI Stasis episodes and I have to keep up with his EC almost monthly. You’d have to be committed to doing that for another bunny if he/she needed it. Toby potentially has teeth problems (I’m away so I haven’t been on B.B. in a bit, if it’s changed let me know) but that has taken a few months for your parents to potentially even want to help that. Imagine ending up with a bunny like Bombur or Wick (no offense little man ?). You’ll also have to get him a physical when you first purchase him and then again for his neuter or spay if it’s a girl. Lastly, you’ll need a contingent plan if they don’t bond. Some bunnies are unbondable with each other. You need to decide whether you’re able to care for two completely separate bunnies and make sure your parents will do it when you’re gone. Would you rehome the second one? Do you have the time to bond them yourself when the time comes?

I honestly think if you want bonded bunnies, wait till you’re older and financially independent. I’m 26, and married with a full time job and grad school, and sometimes I struggle with my boys. You really need to look at it at more than just Toby might need a friend.

• GarfyTheLop
                Participant
                171 posts Send Private Message

I have to agree with everything A&B has said! It’s nothing personal to you, as I think you’ve been great with Toby but your parents have never been 100% committed.

I think you should just focus on his life being as best as it can be as a single bun I know many people who’ve had single buns living until they’re 10+ so don’t worry about that.

• mschoonover11
                  Participant

Thanks for the advice

Very wise words from A&B. The only reason I would consider a second bun is because I’m going back to school next year and I won’t be able to spend as muuch time with him. I feel like he’d get lonely at home all day by himself. I don’t want him to get depressed. And if I were to get a second, it would be from the HRS. If you adopt a bun from there, their physical is already covered because they do one on the bun right before you bring it home. Also, the buns there are already spayed/neutered. They also have pre-bondig/stress bonding classes. And soon, I may start working at Publix for a very small and short shift so maybe I can help or fully pay for their vet/food costs.

I’m not trying to go against what A&B said or insist at all. I’m just doing this for Toby as I notice he gets bored a lot and I myself don’t have the ability to give him all the attention he needs. I just feel like bonding would help him out and make him a happier bun. I’m not saying it’s a for sure thing but I am possibly considering it. With the information I gave, does it maybe sound more possible for me to bond now?

• sarahthegemini
                    Participant
                    5584 posts Send Private Message

Bunnies are ALWAYS better off with a bun friend IMO. Sure they can be happy as a solo, but chances are they’ll be much happiER with a bun-panion.

Having said that, seeing how your parents are with Toby, no you shouldn’t get another bun. They barely care for one rabbit, let alone two. No offence. It would be lovely for Toby to have a friend but I fear, you’ll just end up with two neglected bunnies :-/

• Deleted User
                      Participant
                      22064 posts Send Private Message

All that stuff that you mention requires money. Money that isn’t really yours to decide what to do with. Yes bonders are great, if you’re willing to pay the fee. Yes another bunny is great if you’re willing to pay for all the extra bells and whistles. But again, it’s not your money. It’s theres. And they hardly part with it for Toby.

• kurottabun
                        Participant
                        908 posts Send Private Message

I’d have to agree with A&B on this one. My last bunny died when I was 14, and I waited 12 years before I got Kurotta. I’m also 26, married and financially independent). Even with both of us working full-time, we still can’t afford another bunny when there’s rent, daily expenses and a bunch of other commitments to be responsible for financially. To make up for that we try to spend as much time as possible with Kurotta and he gets to run around everyday.

One-off fees such as neuters/spays aren’t the concern. It’s the long-term expenses like food, litter and sudden vet costs dropping from the sky. These may seem insignificant but they can and will become a burden if you don’t have enough finances to sustain that lifestyle. I’m not sure about wages in the U.S, but I highly doubt a part time job while schooling is enough to sustain what is required for two bunnies without getting money from the parents.

Your care for Toby is commendable – unfortunately practicality is currently an issue.

• mschoonover11
                          Participant

Thanks guys… After I thought about it, yes, it’s not wise for me to get another one. I just feel bad for Toby. My parents aren’t the type that would let Toby free-roam around the house. They want him to stay in the play pen. But we’re starting to work things out now. We were thinking of buying another playpen and connecting it with our current one to make a large space for him to play in. They only thing is the carpet. (I’ll post another forum asking for play pen flooring ideas.) They don’t want him peeing on the carpet. So now, they just want to leave him in the basement all alone, and I’m trying to convince them to let me bring Toby upstairs in his play pen with me. This is the routine I was planning with him next year for when I go to school. Let me know what you guys think

Morning before school: Take Toby out of his cage and put him in his play pen up stairs. Top up hay, water. Give veggies.
                            After school: Socialize with him. Feed him an oxbow simple rewards treat. Let him out while I do homework. (hopefully I can let him out for 4+ Hours. )
                            Before bed: Top off hay, water. Feed 1/4 cup of pellets. Put him back in his cage for bedtime.

That routine is my goal but hopefully my parents allow it…

• kurottabun
                            Participant

I’m a little confused. So with the new routine, will his cage still be in the basement and the play pen upstairs in your room, or both his cage and pen will be in your room? And does “letting him out” mean out of his cage, or out of his pen to roam your room?

• sarahthegemini
                              Participant
                              5584 posts Send Private Message

If that routine is your goal, what is your routine now? Why on earth would your parents not allow it? It’s hardly extravagant :-/

• mschoonover11
                                Participant

Posted By kurottabun on 5/16/2018 7:32 PM

I’m a little confused. So with the new routine, will his cage still be in the basement and the play pen upstairs in your room, or both his cage and pen will be in your room? And does “letting him out” mean out of his cage, or out of his pen to roam your room?

Yes, his cage will be in the basement and his play pen will be in my room. And yes, letting him out means he can free roam in my room.

• kurottabun
                                  Participant

Is there any reason why he can’t be in the pen in your room during the night? Sounds easier if you could just completely switch his living quarters to your room instead of still having the cage in the basement

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A bonded vs single?