Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Bonded partner passed

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Salem Fluffle
      Participant
      47 posts Send Private Message

Freckles passed away today and I’m worried about Rascal – her surviving (true) brother. I’ve never had a bonded pair before them so this is my first time dealing with it. Obviously they shared everything so her scent is all over. Do I try to remove some of her scent to make this easier for him? Do I leave everything as is for him to keep processing that she’s gone? We were on the way to the vet in an emergency for her when she passed. Rascal spent about 20 minutes in the carrier in the car with her, and then when we made it to the vet we put a blanket on the floor so he could be with her body. He spent about 40 minutes with her, sometimes grooming her face, sometimes just laying next to her. When he finally went back into the open carrier on his own we said our final goodbyes to her body and took Rascal home. I just want to make sure we do everything we can to make this easier for him since they had been together since birth.

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

I’m so so sorry for your loss. 🙁

It’s really good he was able to spend time with her body and say his goodbyes. Bunnies that are able to do that usually handle things quite well (sometimes better than we do honestly).

Her scent will naturally decline over time, he will be able to tell between “fresh” and “old” smells, so I wouldn’t worry about removing her scent or anything like that. I would keep his area just the same for now, so it’s not so many changes all at once.

All you can do for him now is spend extra time with him (even if its just hanging out in the room with him), and make sure he keeps eating and pooping. He may be a bit more quiet than usual, but if he stops eating he may need to be syringe fed. If you have other bunnies, he might like seeing them as neighbors if you notice he starts to get depressed. Some bunnies also like having a “stuffy” to cuddle with.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Salem Fluffle
          Participant
          47 posts Send Private Message

Thank you, Dana. Rascal seems to be doing okay. The first day was tough – he ran a couple of laps in the pen area looking for her. Now he occasionally goes to rest in the corner she claimed during these last three weeks. I’m relieved he’s still eating, pooping, and sleeping the same. I think he misses his sister but we’re spoiling him with extra pets and treats. We have the other two bunnies so I finally took down the visual barrier and we’ll begin the process of bonding them again.

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

((( Rascal ))) <3

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Bonded partner passed