Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Boarding bunny question!

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
    • JK
      Participant
      2223 posts Send Private Message

I will be going on vacation in the near future and am starting to worry about boarding Edson.  No way could anyone come to my house as I really need someone to come twice a day AND I have had a very horrible experience with pet sitters. I hired someone once to come in to take care of my cat and she didn’t come everyday as I had requested. She came only twice in that week.  When I got home the cat had no food or water and the litter box was disgusting.  This was a bonded and insured company!  So I want to board my bunny at Save A Bunny, the rescue where I got Edson, but do you think this totally stresses out the rabbit? Thanks!!!!

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

do you have friends or family nearby… or a neighbor that you trust who could pop over twice a day?  i know you’re probably concerned too with Edson’s drinking issue.  i think boarding will be somewhat stressful for him, but i guess it’s better than being neglected by a pet sitter.  would you have time to find a better pet sitter?  there was a thread not long ago about pet sitters.

• JK
          Participant

I don’t feel like I can ask neighbors or friends.  They are NOT bunny people!  Edson needs to have his litter box changed daily and water filled and pellets given and greens given and cage cleaned up!  I’m so anal about his upkeep! It’s kind of a lot to ask anyone that’s not in the business of pet sitting. That’s why at least at Save A Bunny I know for sure he’d get great care but then of course I am worried about how he will react. I guess really I should just ask them since they are the experts.  Thanks.

• Beka27
            Participant

is there an older teenager (betw/ 16-18 years old) around your neighborhood who might be able to help you out if you kicked some money their way?  they wouldn’t mind helping for some extra cash i’m sure… they might even have fun with him.

• JK
              Participant

Mmmmm teenagers?  They sleep till 2!  Edson actually might be more lonely at home since he’s such a social butterfly.  I know my cat is.  I have plenty of time to figure this out.  Thanks for the idea.

• Bunnies4ever
                Participant
                368 posts Send Private Message

I know how you feel….House Rabbit Society boards. They’re in Richmond which is a ways from you, but they would take excellent care of Edson. Save A Bunny is closer and they’re good also. There are some rabbit sitters in Concord as well. They’re pretty good. I live in Antioch and I would only board my buns at HRS. It might be worth the drive. Just a suggestion…

• JK
                  Participant

Glad to know you board yours at HRS.  It’s a piece of mind knowing they for sure without question are getting excellent care at the rescue. With Edson’s case I am sure they will do the "extra" that he needs even if I have to pay a little more. Save a Bunny is 2 miles from me so if they are full I will contact HRS.  Oh how much does HRS charge for boarding? Thanks!!!!

• Bunnies4ever
                    Participant

For non-members, they charge $105/weekley. For members it’s $95. They take EXCELLENT care of your bunny e.g., speciial diet, food, medications, etc. I use to foster for them, so I can vouch for HRS. They’re wonderful! The Richmond office is the national headquarters.

• JK
                      Participant

Great to know!  Save a Bunny is $25/day.  Do they have a special area for boarders?  Have you seen Save A Bunny before?  Just wondering how it compares. Thanks again.

• Beka27
                        Participant

wow… HRS is a considerable savings… it would be cool if you went with HRS if you could donate some more to them out of that savings… i’m sure they’d appreciate it greatly!

• Bunnies4ever
                          Participant

HRS has a special room just for boarders, although one side of the room is where they have their foster bunnies looking to get adopted. They have about eight to ten large cages. They will always try to do their best to accommodate you if there isn’t enough room. They also have two cages in the bonding room that they can use for boarding. If you have a larger bunny (like flemish) they have a room where the bunny can stay. Their office is small. I don’t know how they do it, but they do. It’s where I get all my supplies, toys, etc. at a discount. They also have a separate room for the sick, elderly bunnies. Whenever I go, I usually will pop my head in and talk to the buns. They do grooming, nail trimming, even massages, everything at a reasonable cost. For me, it’s worth the drive. Good luck and let me know if I can help you out in any way!

• JK
                            Participant

Thanks for the information.  I don’t think Save A Bunny has that much room for boarders – maybe space for 4 or 5 but they are in xpens.  Do you think I could swing by there sometime and look at the boarding area? That IS quite a drive for you so it must be a great place.  Thanks again!

• Bunnies4ever
                              Participant

You can give them a call at (510) 970-7575 or check out their website at http://www.rabbit.org/rabbit-center/. They are open 12-5 on the weekends.

If that link doesn’t work, you can google house rabbit society, richmond, ca.

Let us know how it turns out!

• MarkBun
                                Participant
                                2842 posts Send Private Message

They are open 12-5 every day so if you want to go there during the week you can. They are letting me bring my bunnies there to do bonding on neutral territory – they supply hay and litter and all of this without expecting anything in return. The people there care alot about the bunnies, the cages are very clean and they also give them exercise time in X-pens as well. They are currently making what looks like hundreds of bunny presents for X-mas.

• JK
                                  Participant

I like the fact they have xpens too since that’s what Edson is used to.  I assume they have people clean daily.  The one "extra" I need is to have his litterbox dumped out every day since he is peeing so much. Do you think they would do that?  I would pay extra.  Thanks so much for the info.

• Bunnies4ever
                                    Participant

One year they were overcrowded with boarders, they made extra room with x-pens. There were about 4 separate x-pens with bunnies. They really try to accommodate you the best they can. If Edson likes x-pens instead of a cage, they will do that for you.

• MarkBun
                                      Participant
                                      2842 posts Send Private Message

They change all bunny boxes daily (AFAIK). If it gets messy sooner, they’ll take care of it then. They really care for their guys.

• JK
                                        Participant

That sounds great! Thanks.

• bigsis7
                                          Participant
                                          732 posts Send Private Message

Boarding can be a little stressing as the bunny is out of his space. His house. Do you have friends, family, neighbors that can take care of him? Maybe at their house? I would pet sit for you if I didn’t live on the other side of the country!

• Frostyleo8
                                            Participant
                                            25 posts Send Private Message

You might also try asking around the veterinary offices in your area (those that see rabbits regularly).  I happened to learn that a reputable vet-tech at my bunnies’ vet has two of his own and was happy to take care of our rabbits (for a small fee, of course).  I ended up not needing him, because my neice took care of them instead when we went out of town.  But, I thought this might be worth a try for you if the boarding doesn’t work out.  It’s SO much better to keep them in their familiar homes if at all possible.

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Boarding bunny question!