Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bloody urine!?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Kenzie
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

Hello
        My rabbit Dusty uses a litter box and I noticed a redish hue in the litter. His litter box leaks urine underneath so I keep paper towels under it at all times. Upon lifting the litter box, I noticed the entire paper towel is soaked a red/orangey color (pic in link below). He recently stopped taking Meloxican 3 days ago that he’d been taking following a dental procedure he had, but he is still on another medicine that is a bright pepto-bismo colored pink, if this makes any difference. (added a pic of it under the original photo to show exactly what it is). He does have a vet appointment scheduled for three days from now, but I am just curious as to what people on this forum think it could be. I know rabbits can have bright orangey colored urine but this is brighter than its ever been and I am worried about if it actually looks like blood and if it is, what to do for now until his appointment. What do you guys think?
        Thanks in advance
        Photos of paper towel and the mediciation: https://imgur.com/a/YgGWrXN

• Wick & Fable
        5782 posts Send Private Message

That looks orange to me. You can do a test where you drop some hydrogen peroxide (typically found where you can by over the counter drugs, because it’s usually in first-aid kits), and if it bubbles, that means it’s blood.

Urine changing color due to medication is not uncommon! When Wick was on azithromycin for syphilis, his urine turned neon orange.

Orange urine is completely normal, but it doesn’t hurt to let your vet know!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Bam
          16877 posts Send Private Message

Medication can change the colour of bun urine. They can also spontaneously release porphyrines into their urine for reasons not fully understood. Actual blood in bunny urine tends to show up as specks of red rather than uniformly red urine.

You can test the urine by dripping hydrogen peroxide on it. If theres blood, it will foam (a lot). If it’s just urine, no foam. Forum leader Jerseygirl has tested this test on a bun she knew had blood in his urine. It foamed. Her other buns’urine didnt foam.

Does he appear to be in any sort of pain when he pees? Does he seem to be straining to pee?

• Kenzie
            Participant
            4 posts Send Private Message

He seems to be peeing normally from what I’ve seen. I’ll try the hydrogen peroxide trick, thanks guys!

• LBJ10
              16908 posts Send Private Message

I agree, it’s most likely the medication. But a quick test with some hydrogen peroxide should put your worries to rest.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bloody urine!?