Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Blood on Ebony’s Belly

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lisa_43
      Participant
      1499 posts Send Private Message

I have noticed Ebony has blood on her fur on the side but closer to under her belly, at first I thought she had layed on top of those red wooden chew toys as the edible dye comes out of them.

I have looked again and I am sure it is blood, I am pretty sure that one of the babies may have bitten her nipple while suckling, it doesn’t seem to be bothering her at all and she is eating etc.

I am taking the babies to find out what sex they are, I think I will take her also just for a check up.

I guess I just want your input, if you think it maybe a good idea to take her for the check up and that they could have bitten her nipple? (Ouch)

Another qustion,

When would I start clipping the babies nails?

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Oh, it is possible one of the babies bit her – hopefully that’s all it is. Let us know what the vet says.

I bet you could start clipping the baby’s nails now.

• babybunsmum
          Participant
          3896 posts Send Private Message

oochy!  poor ebony… what mom’s don’t go thru for their bubs!  couldn’t hurt to have it looked at to be sure it’s healing properly / not infected.  you’re separating the babies from her & by sex after this vet visit right?  then ebony will have a chance to recoop.

• MooBunnay
            Participant
            3087 posts Send Private Message

Yes – its probably a good idea to take her in just in case. Sometimes even small cuts on bunnies can get infected, so its best to get something to take care ofit – the doctor might even recommend antibiotics so that she doesn’t get an infection. Have fun at the vets

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant
              4293 posts Send Private Message

I agree, it sounds like they are getting a lttle rough with trying to nurse on mom and they are ready to be weaned. I’m glad you’re taking them in to be sexed. : )

• Lisa_43
                Participant

Yes I am taking them to the vet today and I will also take Ebony for a check up.

They now live in their condo permanently and last night I got the opportunity to watch them all feed, I do feel sorry for her because they are getting bigger and they all cannot feed at once.

She just sits there while they are pulling at her she defiantly has the patience of a saint.

The babies are 8 weeks today, I cannot believe how quick they have grown.

Sarita, clipping the babies nails is going to be very interesting and I may need a headache tablet afterwards.

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant

Well Lisa, it sounds to me like you’ve done a stellar job with mum and babes. You should be really proud of yourself!

• Lisa_43
                    Participant

Scarlet you must be here the same time as me.

• Scarlet_Rose
                      Participant

I think so! : )

• osprey
                        Participant
                        2065 posts Send Private Message

Lisa,

Be careful trying to trim the babies’ nails.  I think we advise not doing it until they are 3 months old (I will check for a definitive answer for you).  Babies nails also have a relatively long quick, so we suggest just tipping them a few times rather than trimming a lot offf like you would with an adult.

• Lisa_43
                          Participant

Thanks Osprey, I will leave them until they are 3 months.

• osprey
                            Participant
                            2065 posts Send Private Message

I checked with Auntie Heather and qzobevmama who are both very experienced with raising babies.  The consensus is to use an emery board (do they call them that in Australia, a wooden stick with sandpaper on it for shaping human nails?).  Do not use a real clipper until the babies are large enough to see their quicks clearly, and they are used to being handled and will reliably not pull away as you are clipping.  With the emery board, you can safely dull the sharp nails without the risk of cutting them, and you can get the babies used to having their nails done.

• Gravehearted
                              Participant
                              2428 posts Send Private Message

Lisa – what did the vet have to say about the blood on Ebony’s belly? hope all is ok

I’ve always heard emery boards for babies nails too.

• Lisa_43
                                Participant

Thanks Osprey, yes we call them emery boards in Aussie land and I will have a go at filing them, I think to start with I will just lightly run it over the nail just so they get used to the feel of it for a while.

Thanks for asking Gravehearted, the vet said Ebony was in good condition and it looked like she had been bitten on the nipple, he also said she defiantly needed a well earned break because the bubs were so big now and when I we arrived home mum got her break.

He also said the babies were in good condition and they were very friendly, I felt good about that as I have been working on that for quite a while.

It wasn’t easy taking all of them to the vet I needed hubbies help with all the cat crates full of rabbits. LOL

• Scarlet_Rose
                                  Participant

Lisa I am so glad to hear the visit went well! What a compliment from the vet, but I must say I am not surprised that they are so friendly and loving with such a couple of good mums (you and Ebony).

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Blood on Ebony’s Belly