Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Blood in urine?!

• This topic has 4sd replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by LBJ10.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • The P Squad
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

I use newspaper to line the litter boxes. As I was rolling the newspaper up while cleaning the litter box, I noticed a bunch of large red spots. I haven’t seen this before. My bunny was acting just fine today, eating as always, pooping as always, and even binkying a bunch. He’s been eating green and red leaf lettuce recently, and a few blueberries, carrots, or kale sometimes as treats. Is this blood, and should I be worried? I’ll attach a photo.

• Doodler
        Participant
        337 posts Send Private Message

I wouldn’t be worried at this point. This is a common occurrence in rabbits, especially with the diet you mentioned. What you are most likely seeing is just the plant pigment from the food. I know it’s very alarming the first time you see it! Typically if it was true blood it will have a slight tinge of red that can sometimes be hard to even see. Depending on the cause of blood it may be easier to see or you may even see clotting. Of course your vet will have a dipstick that can test for blood in the urine if it becomes necessary but if your bunny is acting normally and going to the bathroom fine I would say that they are just a normal bunny with normal bunny pee.

• Bam
          16836 posts Send Private Message

As Doodles says, red urine isn’t abnormal in a bun. Here is an article on the subject:
            http://rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html

If you want to test bunny urine for blood, you can drip some hydrogen peroxide on it. If it foams a lot, tgeresblood. If it doesn’t foam, it’s just red pee. Forum leader Jerseygirl has tried this test and it works.

• The P Squad
            Participant
            6 posts Send Private Message

Thank you both! I’m so relieved. I already tossed the old litter, but if I see it again, I’ll try the H2O2 trick!

I forgot to attach the pic last time, but here it is:

• LBJ10
              16869 posts Send Private Message

I think it’s just the way it soaked through the newspaper. Otherwise, it looks like normal reddish pee to me.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Blood in urine?!