Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE blended vegetables?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • moonmoonmoon
      Participant
      26 posts Send Private Message

Hello!! As prior to my question about post spay care, I wonder if we could feed/syringe feed our bunny blended vegetables such as lettuce, cilantro, etc. mix with a little of water or medication given by the vet to make it kind of a smoothie for them when they are not eating or have no energy to chew and eat from the bowl,, I know there is critical care to help but the oxbow brand is quite expensive in my country (but I may get some if I have to) so I am wondering if I can substitute it with the vegetable smoothie instead since I know critical care is somewhat just powdered food/pellet?

• Cinnimon&Ollie
        Participant
        300 posts Send Private Message

I would go with the oxbow critical care. The bag lasted through my bunny spay with leftovers. Veggies on top of it would be great but I differently recommend the oxbow critical care.

• moonmoonmoon
            Participant

Ooo alright thank you!!

• Bam
            16877 posts Send Private Message

You can use pellet mush instead of critical care. You soak pellets in lukewarm water and make a mush that you feed with a syringe. You can absolutely mix the mush withsome “veggie smoothie”, but leafy veg smoothie alone will not provide the bun with all the calories, nutrients and fiber it needs. Wound healing requires quite a bit of protein, because the various tissues in the body mostly consist of protein.

Pellet mush can be too grainy to easily pass through the tip of a syringe. If you use a small syringe you can saw the tip off with a serrated bread knife to make the opening larger. Or you might need to grind the pellets before adding the water (most blenders will be ruined if you grind pellets in them. A coffee bean grinder might work though). You can also grind pellets with a pestle and mortar, but its surprisingly hard work. Hopefully your girl will only need syringe feeding for a day or two though. (I had to grind pellets for my longterm poorly bun when we had a Critical Care shortage due to covid in the spring of 2020, so I’ve experimented quite a bit with various methods. It’s absolutely doable, but rather tedious).

• moonmoonmoon
                Participant

Oooo okayy thank you very much for the information!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE blended vegetables?