Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Biting the carpet

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Tripppysmurf
      Participant
      10 posts Send Private Message

Hye all. I hope everyone’s little bundle of joys are doing well. I was wondering how to prevent a bunny from tearing the carpet up. We have been letting Honey stay out all night if she wants sometimes and the other night I was in room with ym GF and we came out to a small area of the carpet bit into pretty bad. I don’t think honey got any in her but I am worried this could create a bad habit. Any help would be appreciated.

• Floppy
        Participant
        490 posts Send Private Message

Have You given Honey and other alternatives? Like toys that are left out for her? Something else
          to play with besides the carpet? also if you can catch her doing it and say “NO” I find a lil water spray
          does a whole lot! Also, if she isn’t spayed yet, when she does get spayed it will also help her behavior!
          I think also, there might be sprays that have some sort of smell which discourages pets to chew stuff.
          I hope that helps!

• Gravehearted
          Participant
          2428 posts Send Private Message

we use maize and seagrass mats in places where the bunnies seem to be chewing the carpet and it helps a lot!

• MooBunnay
            Participant
            3087 posts Send Private Message

Often my bunnies will start chewing at the edge of a carpet, or because there is a kind of loose thread that they get ahold of and then become very fascinated and pull at it. If this does turn into a habit you could consider keeping Honey in an expen at night, and buying an inexpensive rug from Walmart or Big Lots and putting the ex-pen on that, that way she can’t get to the carpet.

Also, I’ve found that those bunny condo’s that are made out of cardboard are very good for distracting bunnies (or any cardboard box thing you can make for her) and they can usually get out their chewing urges by renovating the cardboard. I would recommend putting the cardboard house on top of a carpet square or blanket just because sometimes they like to start “burrowing” under the house and can pull at the carpet when they are on the bottom floor of the house.

• BinkyBunny
              8776 posts Send Private Message

If your bunny insists on carpet even with toys around, you can try the perfume trick. Spray a little perfume on the area. I am not fond of the strong smell of perfume, so I have sprayed perfume into a paper towel, and rubbed the paper towel on the chewing hot spot. Usually the perfume will die down within an hour. Some people have found they have to refresh it every few days, while others can wait a few weeks. (and on a few occasions, it doesn’t slow down a bunny at all – but it’s worth a try) Usually a bunny who insist on carpet will find other places to chew, so you have to be on top of it, so that every time there is a place that a bunny chews, you mark it with perfume. Hopefully, your bunny will decide carpet equals ick!

• MStewart87
                Participant
                41 posts Send Private Message

I also know they have the sour apple spray at pet stores that is for dogs and cats that says it does not stain carpet or furniture…but who knows bunnies might like the taste of it. It might be worth a try though.

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant
                  4293 posts Send Private Message

Personally, I use pure lemon oil and rub it on the spots and my buns steer clear of it. The sour apple has flopped with more people because their buns end up loving the taste of it, just a forewarning.

• Deleted User
                    Participant
                    22064 posts Send Private Message

I have used floor tiles to discourage Sprinkles digging the carpet up (after she had dug her way to kingdom come!).  Some areas of my carpet have been dug down to the concrete but luckily these parts are behind clumpy furniture.

I had some unused bathroom tiles lying around so I placed those around the areas where she used to dig, however they blended in with the carpet so did not look too out of place.

Can you get hold of the plastic carpet protectors … the ones with those small spikes underneath.  I have also used those but put the plastic upside down so the spikey bits are facing upwards.  Sprinkles did not like walking on this (but who would).  It also kept her away from chewing the corners of my leather lounge.

Dawn xx

• Tripppysmurf
                      Participant
                      10 posts Send Private Message

Well Honey has moved on from biting the carpet to trying to diassemble the house from the baseboards up. I am really wondering ow to stop this. she has started attacking the baseboards in the kitchen if we leave her free to roam there. any ideas. I am lost

• BinkyBunny
                        8776 posts Send Private Message

One of our members, Fujoethebunny, was going through a destruction nightmare with her first bunny (before he was neutered)  We went through tons of different solutions.  Maybe some will work for you. 

Here is the link https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&forumid=3&tpage=2&view=Topic&postid=85

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Biting the carpet