Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Birds

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • bunnylova123
      Participant
      255 posts Send Private Message

Can bunnies understand birds: warning signals and stuff. When Vienna is outside in the run and there is a loud bird call she’ll sometimes thump and run inside ( nothing happens and we are always on red alert when she looks worried ) or run around doing binkies. Is it just because it’s loud, or does she actually speak bird?

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Because they are loud.

• bunnylova123
          Participant

Oh well, I was hoping I had a bird speaking bunny 

• Sarita
            Participant

I have a cockatiel that speaks car alarm – mainly he’s just a loud little fellow especially when the clothes washer or dishwasher are going because he can hear it but he can’t see it (not sure he would know if he saw it anyway) and it sends him into squawking fits. My rabbits seem to ignore it though but sometimes Bobby will thump. My husband and I just yell at him – doesn’t work though, he still screeches.

• Stickerbunny
              Participant
              4128 posts Send Private Message

Birds warning calls are often the first line of defense in nature for prey animals, it means a predator is in the neighborhood. Our domestic rabbits don’t have this teaching, since they have never lived in the wild nearby birds, but their instinct is probably still there. In the wild, if a bird goes into loud squawk mode, something is wrong and it means hide. For our domestic birds, it can mean any number of things – I am hungry, I am angry, etc. And when they get used to the birds being noisy, the bunnies don’t seem to react much, except maybe out of annoyance. I have a cockatiel as well, he’s a loud brat and all he does is make Stickers thump in annoyance at times. However, the wild birds warning calls will set off both my rabbits and my bird to being super alert when there is a predator nearby, so some of that instinct is still there.

• Sarita
                Participant

That’s good to know Sticker – I know my bird is very hypersensitive – my rabbits just don’t seem to be, but maybe it’s just my rabbits.

• Stickerbunny
                  Participant
                  4128 posts Send Private Message

I think our house rabbits probably aren’t that in tune with how to be safe from predators, especially those of us with birds that are loud for no reason. They’ve never had to learn it. One reason it’s so mean to throw them out in the wild, there are a lot of skills they’ve never developed. Mine are pretty good at knowing when there is a dangerous animal in the area, but then, Powder will at times sleep right through all the warnings and not even notice… even if Stickers is running around giving warning thumps.

• LittlePuffyTail
                    18092 posts Send Private Message

We have pheasants that live around our house. Not sure if you guys have any of those near you but they make this horrible loud “Bak Bak” followed by a loud purring type sound. They come around in the morning and Olivia always periscopes when she hears them.

• bunnylova123
                      Participant

We have loads of birds, mostly blue tits and robins, next door has a big fruit tree. Vienna isn’t scared of most birds, she likes to chase pigeons 

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Birds