Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Birch Plywood

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Trixieandcookies
      Participant
      77 posts Send Private Message

Hello everyone, I know that most plywood’s are bad for bunnies but have never heard of birch plywood. There’s a bunny castle made out of this, knowing that my bun is going to chew this I want to make sure that this is safe for her to ingest. Does anyone know about this, is it safe for rabbits to ingest? Thanks.

• Dface
        Participant
        1084 posts Send Private Message

A lot of hutches are actually made from plywood because its a relativley inexpensive medium. Birch is rabbit safe, so it isnt the wood that is the problem its actually the glue used in manufacturing. However from what I know most plywoods use non toxic glue that’s relatively safe and actually dissolves in water (which is why plywoods get wrecked when they get wet)

So while I wouldn’t encourage her to actually eat it, gnawing on it wont make her sick.

• Trixieandcookies
          Participant

The seller claims the glue to be soy based is this okay too? Thank you

• Trixieandcookies
            Participant

Here’s what it says about the materials: Made in USA. Material: untreated, unfinished baltic birch plywood – we source formaldehyde-free plywood bonded with soy based glue. Natural wood grain irregularities/spots should be expected (nature’s beauty).

• BigJ111
              Participant
              24 posts Send Private Message

Sounds good I would say. I have made myself my bunnies houses out of birch plywood for years and never had any issue. In all honesty, none of my rabbits even chewed on them (i made sure they always have sticks and toys to chew and play with though). And as far as i know, nowadays most pine and birch plywood are glued together with safe products, safe for kids and pets and more and more people do some craft stuff with plywood, at least in europe.

• BigJ111
                Participant
                24 posts Send Private Message

Forgot to mention, just make sure you sand the plywood properly, as depending on the grade, there may be risk of splinters (i wouldn’t use anything lower than BB grade)

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Birch Plywood