Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Binky or something else

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Jenn
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

Hello guys!

I have noticed that my rabbit kind of jumps or move his head from side to side really fast when I talk to him for example when I kind of call him he does this or tend to run really fast from side to side.

is he doing this due to his excitement or is he afraid or me ? I thought he did it kind of like a play with me thing but now I’m curious to know.

thank you !

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like it’s probably a binky  🙂

When rabbits run out of fear they usually bolt to a hiding spot or panic and crash into things. 🙁

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bam
          16878 posts Send Private Message

Is your rabbit young? I’m not quite sure I understand exactly how you mean, but it sounds like a young rabbit using its repertoire of clever jumping. A binky is typically a turn or half turn in the air, but I often see my girl bun make sideways leaps.

Rabbits and hares are extremely good at changing their track by jumping sideways. Its a very good way to throw a predator off their track. You can also sometimes see wild hares do it on fields as a part of their March Madness mating “dance”. It is believed to be a show of physical fitness, which of course is sth that hares look for in a partner.

• Jenn
            Participant
            6 posts Send Private Message

Yea he is pretty young ( 3 months)

hard to explain what he does but is not a full binky when I call him he moves his head from side to side really quick as some dogs do when they want to play “tag” that’s the best way I can explain it lol.

and sometimes instead of moving his head he starts running from side to side as if he were having zoomies.

• Bam
              16878 posts Send Private Message

If he’s so young, I think he’s just enjoying being young and happy! All young animals need exercise to develop their muscles and quick reflexes and speed. They do that by playing and its very good for them 😃

He might go through a little fearful period when he hits puberty -it’s known as the spook age. During that period a bun (or pup) can be spooked by just about anything incl their own shadow. Its a normal part of growing up and it subsides.

• LBJ10
                16908 posts Send Private Message

Probably what is sometimes referred to as a “head binky”.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Binky or something else