Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Bindi’s Health Update (Not Doing Well) :(

Viewing 100 reply threads
  • Author
    • LittlePuffyTail
      18092 posts Send Private Message

Hi, everyone. As I mentioned before I’m on a bit of a leave from BB but I wanted to update you all on Bindi’s health and ask for some vibes please. 

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a lump under his chin. It didn’t seem attached to anything. Just sort of free floating in his dewlap area. He has a bit of saggy skin there normally from the Sub Q we give him. Last Tuesday, went to the vet and it was quite large. Very visible and looked really uncomfortable, poor guy. Vet took a sample and it was an abscess. She gave him an injection of antibiotics. Then we scheduled another for 1 week. She said if it didn’t go down we’d need to look at surgical removal. It remained the same most of the week but I was happy to see, on Monday, it shrunk quite significantly. We did his 2nd shot last night so hopefully that will be the end of it. 

However, his teeth are really bad and he needs to get his molars trimmed tomorrow. We need some vibes please. I worry so much every time he goes under and it’s just getting harder as he gets older and the risk goes up. And with Olivia passing after her dental, it’s just a whole lot of stress and worry. 

I love this little guy so much. Unfortunately, the time between him needing his teeth done is getting shorter. It used to be every 6 months, now it’s about every 4 months or so. 

Thanks for any vibes you can throw our way.

• Nibbles
        Participant
        50 posts Send Private Message

❤️❤️(((Bindi)))❤️❤️

• Muchelle
          Participant
          1141 posts Send Private Message

I understand you so much <3 Sending good vibes, let us know how it went <3

• Luna
            Participant
            2219 posts Send Private Message

I’m glad the abscess shrunk. Luna and I send lots of vibes ((((Bindi))))

• BunnyFriends
              Participant
              383 posts Send Private Message

{{{Bindi}}}

• vanessa
                Participant
                2212 posts Send Private Message

(((Bindi)))
                  How old is Bindi now?
                  Poor little guy. Lancelot is also at 4 month intervals.

• jerseygirl
                  22345 posts Send Private Message

Im not throwing any vibes. Im carefully toting them to you in bucketloads!
                    {{{Bindi and LPT}}} I hope his dental goes smoothly and he’s feeling comfortable again in no time.
                    Really pleased to read the antibiotic has been helping with the abscess.

• Q8bunny
                    Participant
                    6345 posts Send Private Message

Oh, LPT, I totally understand your worry… I know how much you love the handsome little curmudgeon. It’s great the abscess responded to the antibiotic shot, so I’m hoping he’ll be just as much of a trooper with his trim. Sending nose boops from Chewie and lots of ((((((Bindi)))))) vibes and a right on the booplesnoot from me. And a hug for you.

• Gina.Jenny
                      Participant
                      2244 posts Send Private Message

(((Bindi)))

• LongEaredLions
                        Participant
                        4482 posts Send Private Message

Oh Bindi, why you gotta cause your mumma so much worry.
                          Poor little Bindi-Loo. Sending him lots of vibes and calming hugs for you, too.

• Bam
                          16877 posts Send Private Message

(((((((Bindi-Loo))))))))

I’m glad the abscess has shrunk.

• Vienna Blue in France
                            Participant
                            5317 posts Send Private Message

((((( Bindi loo )))))))
                              I’ll ‘see’ Jersey’s buckets and I’ll raise you to TRUCK loads from over here

• MimzMum
                              Participant
                              8029 posts Send Private Message

I just popped in here because I’d been thinking of Bindi and wanted to look up how he was doing, I didn’t realize he’d struggled with an abscess recently, poor bub.
                                Glad he’s doing okay now and hoping that his dental goes smoothly. Mimzy is probably due one and because he’s so old and practically infirm, I am loathe to get it done. So I get how you’re feeling.
                                Sending ((((((hugs)))) your way. <3

• LittlePuffyTail

Thanks so much everyone.

Bindi made out really well. The vet said his teeth were really bad on one side, almost like shark teeth. But all nice and even now. And more good news is that the abscess is not dental related, as this would have been a bad scenario. We’re going to continue with the weekly injections until it’s completely gone. Crossing my fingers one more will do it.

I’m lucky in that he is always **knocking on wood for future** fine after his dental and is ready to eat as soon as he gets up. It would really add to the stress if I had to force feed him afterwards. Vet always just sends him home with a few days of Metacam for any mouth pain or swelling.

Vanessa, Bindi is about 10 now. He was a few months old when I got him and we are celebrating his 10th Gotcha Day on June 6th.

(((hugs))) back to you, Mimz. Is Mimzy the same age as Bindi? 

• LongEaredLions
                                  Participant
                                  4482 posts Send Private Message

Great news! Silly Bindi growing shark toofers.
                                    (((((continued vibes)))))

• vanessa
                                    Participant

Poor little Bindi. Glad he got his shark teeth sorted out.

• jerseygirl

Bindi is a trooper. So relieved he is doing well, LPT. Sending nose rubs!

• Q8bunny
                                        Participant

Yay Bindi-Loo! Such a good great white bun

• Bam

Yay!!! So happy to read this!!! Bindi, you’re the best!

• Vienna Blue in France
                                            Participant

Bindi Loo you are marvel-loo !!!!

• Muchelle
                                              Participant

Yeeeee! Go Bindi Go!

• Q8bunny
                                                Participant

Does Bindi do this a lot?

And maybe dreams of doing this?

• LittlePuffyTail

Bindi appreciates all the love. I bet he would chin you all if he could.

Haha, love those Q8Bunny!!! He’s probably trying to scare his Daddy, who really hates sharks. He can’t even watch them on TV.

• LittlePuffyTail

Bindi went for his 3rd injection last night. It’s just a tiny little thing now. One more scheduled for next week, if needed.

• jerseygirl

Great outcome! Is it penicillin injections he’s having?
                                                        He’s eating well since dental?

• LittlePuffyTail

I’m actually not sure. She just said “Antibiotics”. I am curious now so will ask next time.

Yes, eating wonderfully. If Bindi doesn’t want to eat, Momma panics! B Bear loves his food!!! 

• Q8bunny
                                                          Participant

Yay Bindi-pooh!

• LittlePuffyTail

So bad news I went to bed Thursday night around 11:30 pm and Bindi was fine. The next morning, his abscess was completely filled up again. Poor guy looks like he has a huge goiter on his chin. So I had to bring him to the vet Saturday for another injection. She sent him home with antibiotics for 14 days (TMS, the same stuff he was on for one of his latest ear infections). It’s gone down quite a bit but I’m just worried this is gonna be yet another recurring problem for him. And it’s more on the side of his bad ear so concerned it may have something to do with all the infections he’s been getting. Sigh…..

• vanessa
                                                              Participant

Oh dear 🙁 I don’t know a whole lot about abscesses. What causes them – and why do they keep coming back?

• Vienna Blue in France
                                                                Participant

((((( Bindi-loo ))). Come on mate. Respond well to the AB please and stop worrying LPT….

• Luna
                                                                  Participant

Luna sends vibes  ((((Bindi))))

• Bam

Me and Bam send lots and lots of vibes (((((Bindi-Loo)))))
                                                                      We demand you fight this, Bindi!

• Q8bunny
                                                                      Participant

Chewie and I are cheering Bindi-Loo on ((((((Bindi)))))) C’mon pooh bear!

• pinknfwuffy
                                                                        Participant
                                                                        660 posts Send Private Message

You can do it, Bindibear! All the love and good vibes. Get well soon, little butterbean.

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                          Moderator

Thanks. It’s gone down quite a bit so it’s no longer visible but I can still feel a mass there. Another injection Thursday night.

I totally don’t get how it can fill up so huge like it did just overnight. And I really want to know what is causing it. Wondering maybe if it’s a complication with his Sub Q fluids. Just really hope this is not going to be a problem that keeps happening over and over, like his ear infections.

He’s feeling great though. Taking his meds really well. It takes a lot to bring this little bear down….

• Vienna Blue in France
                                                                            Participant

He really is an amazing little bun !!

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                              Moderator

Had his shot today. I’ve lost track of how many. Hopefully it won’t fill up again before his next Thursday shot. I didn’t get to talk to the vet. They just took him out back and did it. Hopefully next time I will be able to talk to her and see what she thinks.

• Vienna Blue in France
                                                                                Participant

((( Bindi Bear in a Pine Loo )))

• Bam
                                                                                  Moderator

(((((Bindi Looooooooo)))))

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                    2512 posts Send Private Message

Get well soon you little trooper, we’re all rooting for a speedy recovery!

• Q8bunny
                                                                                      Participant

Bindi Bindi
                                                                                        He’s our bun
                                                                                        If he can’t do it
                                                                                        It can’t be done

• jerseygirl
                                                                                        Moderator

*picking up my faux puffy tail pom-poms, joining in the cheer*

Lpt, I’m amazed the injections bring it down so quickly. I’m sorry it’s recurring though. I remember Jelly’s abscess filled fast overnight one time. He’d had is surgically opened twice before that happened.

I’ve found a lump just near base of Rumballs ear and REALLY don’t want him go through what Jelly or Goosey did. So I’m encouraged that Bindi’s can be treated this way.

I wonder whether they produce pus that quickly or could Bindi’s be building up elsewhere then escaping into this area where you feel it??

• Q8bunny
                                                                                          Participant

I’m wondering if it’s maybe not just pus but edema fluids for some reason…

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                            Moderator

Bindi is not doing well.

His abscess was totally gone Thursday when he went for his shot (at least I couldn’t feel it). Now today it’s completely filled back up and he is only eating half his meals and having teeny tiny poops. Mega tummy gurgles. Giving him simethicone and will keep an eye on him overnight.  Vibes needed please.

• vanessa
                                                                                              Participant

(((Bindi)))

• BunnyFriends
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                383 posts Send Private Message

{{{Bindi}}}

• Muchelle
                                                                                                  Participant

Go Bindi Go! Fight back!

• Luna
                                                                                                    Participant

((((Bindi))))

• NewBunnyOwner123
                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                      1930 posts Send Private Message

Sending so many vibes bindi’s way! Man he’s such a tough little fella. I remember him when I joined the forum years ago!

• jerseygirl
                                                                                                        Moderator

Oh LPT, What a worry with both Kyle and Bindi having trouble. Sending many {{{vibes}}} for Bindi and (((hugs))) for you.

• LBJ10
                                                                                                          Moderator
                                                                                                          16908 posts Send Private Message

Oh no, poor Bindi. I was hoping there would be better news. Sending get well vibes his way! This has to be so hard on you, especially with the other animal problems you’re having right now as well.

• Vienna Blue in France
                                                                                                            Participant

(((( bindi loo ))))

Participant

Oh no, poor Bindi! Sending you all our ((((vibes))))

• Bam
                                                                                                                Moderator

Oh, Bindi =(

((((((((((((Bindi-Loo)))))))))))

• Q8bunny
                                                                                                                  Participant

Oh, no, LPT!
                                                                                                                    Isn’t there some other approach the vet can take re: the abscess? It’s weird that it refills so quickly and soon after clearly responding to the antibiotics. Is he sure there isn’t some other trigger/cause?

We’re rooting for you here. He’s such a special and tough little guy. (((((((((Bindi Loo)))))))))

• jerseygirl
                                                                                                                    Moderator

If he has to have surgery on this and you opt for a culture, make certain they send away sample from the abscess capsule wall. This will give a better idea of what bacteria is responsible. I wish I knew that when had Jelly’s abscess cultured years ago. I got a negative result.

Is the current antibiotic (for abscess) still helping keep his ear infections under control?

• vanessa
                                                                                                                      Participant

I can’t help but wonder too if the pus is draining from an infection somewhere else.

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                                                        Moderator

Bindi has an apt. tonight for his abscess. He’s been off and on all weekend. Saturday he had hardly any appetite, was only pooping mushy cecals and his belly was making horrible gurgling sounds. Simethicon off and on all weekend and Metacam and he is doing better but still not 100% with appetite and poops are still less and small.

It’s been a hard weekend. Kyle, my kitty, has been unwell and is at the vet right now. I brought him in this morning and they admitted him. Not sure what’s wrong at this point. 2 at the vet in 1 day. You’d think that would be a record but I’m pretty sure it happened before.

My animals need to give me a break.

Participant

I’m so sorry that this is all happening to you at once Hopefully they’ll find what’s ailing them at the clinic. Wishing you and your furmonsters all the best!

• Bam
                                                                                                                            Moderator

I’m so sorry, LPT. Many, many vibes for both Bindi and Kyle.

• Dface
                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                              1084 posts Send Private Message

(((Bindi)))
                                                                                                                                (((Kyle)))

• Q8bunny
                                                                                                                                Participant

Vibes for both furballs and nose rubs for (((Bindi))) because I have such a soft spot for him.

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                                                                  Moderator

So I didn’t really get any answers to B’s situation. His abcsess has actually gone back down quite a bit which is really weird. He got another shot. She checked his teeth. Those are fine as they were done very recently. She thinks it may be something bothering him causing him lack of appetite. Possibly the abscess or maybe he’s having a sinusitis flare up. She gave me Metacam for a few days and if the situation persists, we will have to look at bloodwork and Xrays. I can’t help but wonder if it’s maybe an age-related thing. He is 10 after all.

Kyle is still at the vet. He had to stay overnight. Still not eating or pooping.

Participant

So frustrating that you still don’t have an answer to Bindi’s and Kyle’s health problems. I really hope that they’ll be able to treat and cure them. ((((vibes))))

• Bam
                                                                                                                                      Moderator

How very worrisome =( Bindi’s age simply can’t but influence his condition, he is as you say a very old (and beautiful) man. But Kyle is a youngster, isn’t he?

Many many more vibes! They couldn’t be in better hands, that’s for certain.

• Luna
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Luna and Oreo send vibes ((((Bindi)))) ((((Kyle))))

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                                                                          Moderator

Thanks, guys. Kyle came home today. I’m so happy but frustrated because there is no explanation as to what was ailing him. And you’re right Bam, he is young, about 1 1/2- 2 years.

• Bam
                                                                                                                                            Moderator

I’m glad he’s back home with you. Poor little guy. How is Bindi doing now?

• vanessa
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Yay for Kyle! 🙂

• pinknfwuffy
                                                                                                                                                Participant

So happy to heat Kyle is home and, hopefully, doing better.

Still rooting for Bindi during this on-going situation. Such a little fighter.

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                                                                                  Moderator

Bindi is doing better. His appetite and poops are back. Abscess is still down for now.

• Q8bunny
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

That’s great news!

Participant

Whew, that’s a relief! Keep the good news coming Bindi

• Muchelle
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Great news!!!

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                                                                                          Moderator

Abscess is back…..oy…..so frustrating…I’m gonna wait a couple of days as it has gone away on it’s own before. And if not gone by Thursday, I will probably bring him back in for another injection.

I really suspect it has something to do with the Sub Q fluids. Gonna mention it to the vet.

• Q8bunny
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

((((((Bindi Loo bear))))))

• vanessa
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

;-/ Shucks.

• Bam
                                                                                                                                                                Moderator

Oh, Bindi =(

((((((((Bindi))))))))

Participant

Yikes, not again… Wishing you both all the best! How’s Kyle doing in the meantime?

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                                                                                                    Moderator

Kyle is good. He is stuck to me like a shadow since he’s been home and feeling better. Loveable but kinda annoying lol. I think he was a bit worried with the kittens here and then being at the vet for 3 days. He’s very needy and needs lots of reassurance that Mommy loves him. Which he gets!

Blurry but cute pic from last night. If I’m hanging out in the bunny room and Bindi’s condo is open, Kyle loves hanging out in there. The exact same thing is happening now as I type.  Bunk Bed Buddies!

• Luna
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Lol, bunk bed buddies. Adorable!

• Gina.Jenny
                                                                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                                                                        2244 posts Send Private Message

(((Bindi))) (((Kyle))) hopefully that companionship will help them both feel better x

• Vienna Blue in France
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

I could NOT work out that photo. I could only see Kyle trying to jump over a black thing with his bottom half being lighter in colour than his top half !!!!
                                                                                                                                                                            Now i see it….. how cute !!!!!

• Q8bunny
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

OMG! Bindi’s there too! I also thought Kyle lightened up since I last saw him.

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                                                                                                              Moderator

Okay, so not good news. I called the vet today as I knew she was in. I left a message that it came back. The receptionist just called and said the vet doesn’t think the injections are worth it at this point. She wants to Xray and remove it surgically. I have some concerns about that. For one, I’m not sure he’s healthy enough to undergo this at this point. He is having some tummy issues, gurgling tummy, lots of smooshy cecals and episodes of small poops. Couple with his age. And another concern is that there would be an incision where his Sub Q fluids tend to accumulate so I would be worried about it leaking. Sounds weird but he’s a very unique situation. And I feel like it would maybe come back anyways since my suspicions are that it has something to do with the fluids in the first place.

I’m gonna send my vet an e-mail later today with my concerns. I’d like your input as well, guys.

• Sr. Melangell
                                                                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                1708 posts Send Private Message

I’ve never had to deal with anything like that, I just hope that everything will turn out right, operation or not, sending vibes and Olly sends noes rubs for Bindi x

• pinknfwuffy
                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Awe, Bindi. I’m sorry to hear that. I don’t have any practical advice for your situation, sadly, but wishing you both the best. Definitely seems like a treatment catch-22. I hope your vet factors your considerations into the process.

Curious, are the SQs saline-based, lactated ringers, or dextrose? I’ve read that dextrose-based fluids can increase the chances of an abscess.

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                                                                                                                    Moderator

Thank you. Fluids are Lactated Ringers

• Bam
                                                                                                                                                                                      Moderator

Really difficult, this, LPT. Your vet seems trustworthy though, and she’s known Bindi a long time.

• Vienna Blue in France
                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

((((Bindi Loo))))
                                                                                                                                                                                          Go with your heart dear LPT and as bam says, if you trust your vet, she’s known him a long time, it sounds as if you can discuss with her….

(((( Hugs ))))

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                                                                                                                          Moderator

Thanks guys. Yes, I haven’t got around to it yet but I”m going to send her an e-mail with my concerns. She is a wonderful vet and is always very great at responding to my emails and concerns. We will see what she says.

But when I think about it, and I spent some time thinking about it last night, he’s not the same Bindi anymore. And it’s been like that for a while. I think he’s still decently happy and not at that point yet, but just different. Not as snuggly, often doesn’t want to be pet, never lounges or lays down while he’s out anymore. Doesn’t explore much anymore. Mostly just hangs out in the bunny room and living room. And often if given the choice, he will just stay in his condo instead of coming out.

And to add to everything, I think Kyle is blocked up again. I suspect hay this time. Gave him some laxatives, hoping it will help. He’s turning out to be almost as high maintenance as B.

• vanessa
                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

http://rabbit.org/abcesses-in-rabbits/
                                                                                                                                                                                              Here’s an article I found on abscesses. You may have read it already. It sounds like your vet is suggesting the best option. From what I read, abscesses in rabbits are harder to drain/treat than in dogs, cats, or humans, because they are missing an enzyme that makes the pus more liquidy and easier to drain treat. Antibiotics don’t penetrate the abscess wall that well. The walls of the pus cavity form fingerling projections that have to be thoroughly cleaned or the abscess will return. It sounds like the best way to treat an abscess is to surgically remove it. The article also talks about rabbits living for years with routine abscess drainings. If I were you – I’d be weighing the optiosn of surgery vs Bindi’s overall condition. Not an easy choice. But it does sound to me that antibiotics have no chance of curing an abscess. I routinely have to choose between anesthesia for teeth filings – or waiting till Lancelot is feeling better… different, but that’s where I’d be if I were you.

• vanessa
                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

• Q8bunny
                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

No personal experience from my end either, LPT, but it sounds like you’re considering all the relevant factors. It’s good that your vet is the way she is, too. All I can do is wish the little curmudgeon as well as he can be. (((((((((Bindi)))))))))

• LBJ10
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                                                                                                                                  16908 posts Send Private Message

Poor Bindi. We’re not giving up on him yet.

• Muchelle
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Since your vet seems skilled & attentive, you could discuss the chance to have Bindi undergo removal surgery in quick anesthesia mode (only gas product, vet that does his thing as fast as possible, immediate post-op awakening), that is basically the method that let K survive last time.

Anything you decide, I hope it goes for the best, both for you and Bindi <3

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Moderator

Okay, so had to bring Kyle to the vet yesterday (more on that later) and I had a chance to talk to her about B.

Basically, she feels that surgery is not a good option as something is causing this abscess and depending on what it is, it will probably have a high likelihood of coming back. We are going to schedule a head Xray to see. She suspects possibly sinus issue or dental root issue. Then after we know more about it, we will decide whether it’s going to be surgery or just injections on a weekly or bi-weekly basis to maintain quality of life.

As for now, he is pretty happy. As I mentioned before, slowed down but I need to remember his age as well. But he’s eating well and as long as he seems happy, I will do whatever it takes to keep him happy, even if that means a quick once a week vet trip.

Im going to book the Xray as soon as we get things sorted out with Kyle.

• Q8bunny
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

((((((Bindi Loo))))))

• vanessa
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Shame, poor little guy 🙁

• Bam
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Moderator

(((((Bindi Loo)))))

I know you’ll do anything and everything to keep him happy and comfy.

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                                                                                                                                              Moderator

Absolutely, Bam Will book him in for Xray soon and hopefully the injections will help keep it at bay. . Right now I’m trying to focus on the positive. It’s his Bunniversary/Birthday today! See thread in Lounge!

Viewing 100 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Bindi’s Health Update (Not Doing Well) :(