Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Big problem

• This topic has 10sd replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Bam.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • auntie
      Participant
      93 posts Send Private Message

I believe my rabbit is in really big trouble! He turns 3 on 4-8.

a couple days ago I had cut a small piece of apple and strawberry for him and his brother. Before I did I was preparing dinner and I had cut up an onion. I washed my hands before giving the fruit to them. But still had the onion smell. He turned away from it but the other rabbit  ate it. I thought it was odd but thought it was the smell of the onion. Yesterday morning when I went to let him out I had noticed he didn’t touch his food again thought it was odd but thought maybe he was not hungry. last night when I went to put them in their cages for the night I noticed Bear was just hunched over his brothers water bowl. I have never been able to pick them up and when I went to attempt to pick up Bear he let me without a fight and he just was almost like dead weight so I started to panic. I wrapped him in a baby blanket and he just let me cuddle him, his ears are ice cold. I clipped all his nails to see if he would let me and he did I knew something was seriously wrong.  I also noticed his hind legs were not working very well as he had a hard time walking and he seems wobbly. We had a major snowstorm starting last night and today and my vet is 45 minutes away. I tried calling today but they didn’t answer because everything was closed due to the storm.

First picture was taken Easter Sunday morning 3-31-24

the pictures with him laying on the blanket was from last night 4-4 when I discovered something was really wrong

the picture of him in his litter box was taken today. It looked like he was eating hay but not like normal. I kept him in his cage today. He would go in his litter box today and he would stay there for pretty much the whole day or he would lay on his blanket. I’ve tried to get him to eat and drink and nothing. I tried giving him a treat and nothing.

is it too late to take him to the vets?

• LBJ10
        16923 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry to hear Bear is unwell. Considering his hind end weakness, this could be EC. He is going to need to see a vet to get proper treatment. If he isn’t eating, then you may need to feed him CC in the meantime. Pellet slurry would also work in a pinch.

• auntie
          Participant

What is EC? Is this expensive? I’m calling my vet tomorrow morning. He also isn’t drinking water.

• Bam
            16884 posts Send Private Message

EC meds are typically not expensive. Standard treatment is Panacur (fenbendazole) for 28 days, often combined with metacam (meloxocam).

Encephalitozoon cuniculi is a microscopic parasite that lives inside cells. Many rabbits carry it all their lives without ever showing any symptoms. Typical symptoms are hind end weakness, seizures or head tilt/balance problems. It can also cause kidney/urinary problems.

Do you see any poop at all? How does his belly feel? I’d try to syringe him some water if he’s not drinking. If his belly is soft and not tender, it could be good to syringe feed him some pellet mush or Critical Care.

• auntie
              Participant

I’ve tried with gloves to open his mouth and he won’t let me. This morning he did take a quick drink from his water bottle but has not touched the ig bowl of water and food still there untouched.

he came out of his cage for a few last night but he just sits upright and stares.

• auntie
                Participant

Update on Bear

i took him to the vets yesterday and he has a blockage. He will be there all weekend.

the vet called me this morning and said that he has improved 25% which is on track. The vet said he has pooped but still not eating. They are going to try to force feed him to see if that works.
                  the vet is going to call me tomorrow afternoon.

• Bam

Oh poor baby! I’m glad you took him in!

There’s very little we can do at home for a blockage. The bun needs IV- or at least sub q fluids, because food or drink via the oral route will only make matters worse. The bun will also need substantial pain relief and, often, warming up.

Fingers very much crossed for Bear.

• auntie
                    Participant

Thank you

He will be 3 years old on Monday. His brother is really missing him 😞

• Bam

Still so young! But that’s good, because a younger bun is stronger.

Bonded buns do miss each other when one is sick. The only thing we can do is to try and keep the bun at home company, maybe distract with a few extra treats?

• auntie
                        Participant

Great news!!!

Bear gets to come home today 😊

he is eating normally now and acting his normal self

today is also his and his brother’s birthday they turn 3

• Bam

Oh, what a wonderful birthday present for all three of you!! 🎂🎂🎂

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Big problem