Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Better to have two?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ana
      Participant
      182 posts Send Private Message

I’m trying REALLY hard not to adopt a cute lionhead that has been on craigslist for months.  I was wondering, though, if it’s better for buns to have a playmate.  I have roommates, and come home in between jobs and class, so she’s never alone all day long, but still.  She’s such a lovebug I want to make sure she’s happy.

It seems like people either have a lot of buns, or just one…  Is a pair better?  If so, what about sex?  Male + female better than two females (all fixed)?

Thanks!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

Definitely I’ve found they love the company! But they must be fixed, obviously to avoid litters and all the health reasons of course and to avoid fighting and make bonding easier

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

the best pairing is altered male and female, preferably adults. your first step is getting her spayed and healed for at least one month. is the other bunny altered? if not that would have to be done also, before being introduced. having two bunnies is double the time, money, and vet care. many bunnies like having a friend, but if she gets enough attention from you during the day, it’s not necessary to have a second. you also need to be able and wiling to keep them both separately during the bonding time (two cages, double supplies, separate run-time) and possibly forever if they never do bond.

the ideal would be to have her spayed and then take her on bunny dates at a local shelter/rescue to meet with other neutered bunnies.

• kralspace
            Participant
            2663 posts Send Private Message

I would definitely take your bun ‘dating’. Before I took my Daisy to the North Texas Sanctuary, I had picked out my favorites online through Petfinder.

Got up there and Daisy made it clear he (yes, I am gender name challenged) did NOT share my views and instead chose a lovely white rex, Lola. He was indifferent to the one I really liked and tried to fight the others so I’m really glad we went to meet all the ladies.

Kathy

• dmh426
              Participant
              433 posts Send Private Message

i’ve taken sophie “dating” and um, yeah….no….she’s not interested in other bunnies. at all. she made it very clear that she is perfectly happy being an only child. Some bunnies are happy being solo….

• Ana
                Participant
                182 posts Send Private Message

Ooh, I like the sound of bunny dating.  Can you just bring your bunny to a shelter, or should it be arranged first? 

• Beka27
                  Participant
                  16016 posts Send Private Message

your bunny will need to be spayed and healed. at that point i think you can contact the shelter and see if they need appts or if you can just come in.

• osprey
                    Participant
                    2065 posts Send Private Message

Not all shelters provide “match making” services, but almost all rescues do.  If there is a rabbit advocate at the shelter, that would be the person to contact about dating.  It really helps to have someone experienced with bonding help you start the process, because the signs are sometimes subtle that indicate if the bunnies like each other.  Are there any rescues near you?  They can also help pick likely candidates based on your bunny’s personality.

• TARM
                      Participant
                      1253 posts Send Private Message

When I took the boys to visit the rabbit rescue the founder told me she was glad I took two. She said they do so much better in pairs. Hopefully since they’re brothers they’ll stay bonded and not turn intolerant of each other at maturity.

• rabbitsmba
                        Participant
                        475 posts Send Private Message

While there are certain bunnies who prefer to be solo, I have two bonded pairs who are absolutely madly in love with each other!

People often say, “But I give them everything they could ever possibly want, especially love. How could they need more?” and I always answer…

“Imagine you lived in a house full of bunnies. They were your family and you were their pet. They gave you all the food you could ever want, treated you like a queen, spoiled you rotten and loved you more than you could ever be loved. And you loved them too. But there was just something missing….

Then one day, they bring home another person. You set eyes on them and think ‘Hey! It’s another person! Just like me!’ And all of a sudden you don’t feel quite so alone. Althought your bunny family gave you everything you could possibly need to survive and live a happy life, there was just something missing, and that something was another just like you.”

Let’s face it, I can love my bunnies until the end of time, but when a bonded pair snuggles and grooms each other, gives ear licks and they fall asleep with their little heads touching, no human can give them that sort of comfort.

Try your local rescue. You could foster a bunny and see how they get along, try bonding, and if it doesn’t work out, you can try another one instead…..

“Bunnies are like potato chips…you can’t have just one.”

• kralspace
                          Participant
                          2663 posts Send Private Message

rabbitsmba,

add to that potato chip saying something about even though you spay and neuter everybody, the rabbits just seem to multiply! (I have 6 now)

Mine gang up on me, instead of one little sad face asking to come out, there are 2 squashed together at the door…..poor babies

• MooBunnay
                            Participant
                            3087 posts Send Private Message

I have heard from several rescuers that since in the wild rabbits generally live in colonies, that rabbits feel safer and are more relaxed in pairs rather than as single bunnies. While some do prefer to live on their own, I would say the majority probably do better with a companion, just because thats a friend they can spend all their time with, groom, play with, and also it makes them feel safer to have another bun around to “keep watch.”

The best way, as others mentioned, is to introduce your rabbits to several bunnies to see whom he/she likes best, because it will be much easier to bond them if they get along in the beginning. Do note that bunnies “ignoring” each other when they first meet is actually a GOOD sign, because the way that bunnies demonstrate to each other that they “mean no harm” is to ignore the other one.

• kimberleyanddarren
                              Participant
                              2520 posts Send Private Message

ive found that hopscotch is much happier now he has daxter to be with, obviously we all cant be around 24/7 so we know they are happy and playing at home and it sure puts my mind at ease, its alot of work to get them bonded etc but i think in the end its worth it, the only thing that chills me to my core is what happens (which i know wont be for years as they arent even 1 yet but i still cant help worrying) when one passes over to the rainbow bridge, will the other be distraught? That kinda made me feel like maybe its for his own good that we dont have one? But then i figured that 10 or so years with a loving companion is better than not having one at all just to avoid the heartache right? Hmm.. its a tough decision belive me!

• Veronica Vigilant
                                Participant
                                186 posts Send Private Message

At first I thought my lop Ember wouldn’t like a second bun- she seemed totally content and was so happy cuddling with me every night that I worried she might not want a bunny friend…. but I couldn’t resist and got her a lionhead friend- after a few scuffles in the beginning (all instigated by Ember who is apparently the top bun of the world) she decided that her new friend, Teddy, wasn’t too bad after all…. and now she is soooo happy having him to snuggle with and play with that I’m glad I went for it! So, I guess what I’m saying is that I second everyone else who says that a second bun is usually good- especially if you take your gal on “dates” and you’re sure that you can handle a second one!

• MimzMum
                                  Participant
                                  8029 posts Send Private Message

My two are funny…somedays they seem to enjoy being together, and others not. But I cannot imagine my life, or theirs, without the two of them together. I think my Mimz would’ve been very lonely without his little Pippi. ^_^
                                    My problem is now, should I add a third? And what gender should it be if so?

Boy…girl….ummmmm…… 0_o

• Veronica Vigilant
                                    Participant
                                    186 posts Send Private Message

Ah MimzMum… I have the same problem now! And should I add a 3rd now or wait until I get a bigger apt… should I get a little Holland lop or a big ol’ French lop or just whatever bunny fits best!!!!

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Better to have two?