Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums DIET & CARE Best vacuum cleaner for homes with bunnies?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    joea64
    Participant

I’m shopping for a vacuum to replace my Bissell, which was given to me as a housewarming gift by my parents when I moved into my current apartment back in 2013. The Bissell is a good vacuum, but it’s fairly noisy and we all know bunnies dislike loud noises. So I’m looking for a quieter model – I know there are vacuums that have decibel ratings of about the same loudness as normal human conversation or normal TV volume, so that’s what I’m looking for. Most of them are fairly pricey but there are a couple of models by Shark (the NV501 and NV680) that I’m looking at which I can get for $175-$200 new or as low as $125 refurbished from Shark via Amazon. Recommendations on these or other models (not REAL expensive, please; I’m trying to watch my credit-card balances!) ?

ThorBunny
    Participant

I have a Shark vacuum (I think the NV501). We had it before we got Thor, but I’m honestly very happy with how it’s held up against the constant fur and hay onslaught. Nice thing is it comes with a detachable hose, and lots of attachments (including pet fur roller) so you can get into little nooks and crannies. The hose does clog sometimes if I vacuum up lots of large pieces of hay, although that has been less of a problem since I switched to 3rd cut Timmothy.

I’m not sure how its sound compares to other vacuums however, Thor has never been fussed about noises (in fact she chases the Shark vacuum around like its a toy). It’s certainly not uber loud, but it’s not uber quiet either.

Good luck! Vacuuming is the bane of all bunny ownership…

joea64
    Participant

Posted By ThorBunny on 8/23/2018 6:58 AM

I have a Shark vacuum (I think the NV501). We had it before we got Thor, but I’m honestly very happy with how it’s held up against the constant fur and hay onslaught. Nice thing is it comes with a detachable hose, and lots of attachments (including pet fur roller) so you can get into little nooks and crannies. The hose does clog sometimes if I vacuum up lots of large pieces of hay, although that has been less of a problem since I switched to 3rd cut Timmothy.

I’m not sure how its sound compares to other vacuums however, Thor has never been fussed about noises (in fact she chases the Shark vacuum around like its a toy). It’s certainly not uber loud, but it’s not uber quiet either.

Good luck! Vacuuming is the bane of all bunny ownership…

Shark vacs look pretty good overall – there are a lot of nooks and crannies in my small apartment. The NV680 can be had for $126 refurbished (not including tax and protection plan) from the manufacturer via Amazon, so I might look into that. The NV501 runs for $175-$200 depending on source.

Bunny House
    Participant

Honesty, I’ve tried so many that the best one I found is a good old shop vac, you can totally abuse it with hay and poops and still works like a charm and if it does it’s $40 to get a new one( but they last forever and are so cheap, ment go clean garages)

JackRabbit
    Participant

Shop vac with larger diameter hose for bunny areas and whatever you like best for non-bunny areas. Shop vac with good size hose will suck up pretty much any bunny mess! I’ll admit that I’ve even used it to suck dirty litter out of the litterbox (only time it totally clogged doing that was when Moshi buried a toy in the litterbox and I didn’t know it!)

joea64
    Participant

Aren’t Shop-Vacs really, really LOUD, though? I have one (though I haven’t used it in some time) and I remember it made a heck of a lot of noise.

Q8bunny
    Participant

It’s too soon for me to shop around for a vac yet, but I’d definitely go with one that is officially prepared for pet hair lol So I would consider an attachment for that purpose a promising thing

Bunny House
    Participant

They can be loud but then again, it depends on how strong of a shop vac you buy ( big one, small one, powerful one, not powerful one-all make the sounds different)

joea64
    Participant

Posted By Q8bunny on 8/24/2018 6:53 AM

It’s too soon for me to shop around for a vac yet, but I’d definitely go with one that is officially prepared for pet hair lol So I would consider an attachment for that purpose a promising thing

That’s one reason why I’m looking at Shark vacuums – they all seem to have specially designed and purposed attachments for picking up pet hair. Though, in the case of bunnies, usually it’s the hay that’s the real issue. As I found a couple of small pieces of hay in my lunch today, the issue is approaching critical mass.

joea64
    Participant

I just found the NV501 for $175.99 at Best Buy’s site (not sure if this price is online-only or also in-store). I’ll go by this weekend, maybe even today after work, to check on it; it’s currently in stock at my local Best Buy so if I like what I see when I get there and look at it I’ll likely buy it. I was considering the refurbished NV680 but buying new may be better.

Update: Bought the NV501. The store price was $6 higher but I showed them the site price and they brought it down. It was quite easy to assemble, more so than my old Bissell. Let’s hope the buns don’t get spooked too badly when I turn it on; I remember reading here some time ago that it helps to start vacuuming as far away from them as possible and keep yourself between the bunnies and the vacuum at all times.

Q8bunny
    Participant

Congrats, Joe! May the two of you vanquish hay like bosses.

Keep in mind that the buns may just devide that Mr Shark is just another blowhard hoomin and nonchalantly ignore all the noise.

joea64
    Participant

Well, I actually tested the new Shark this morning. Even a quiet vacuum will make an unpleasant noise, and Panda and Fernando scooted for the safety of the hidey boxes/litterbox in their condo cage immediately. They recovered their equilibrium within minutes of the machine’s shutting off, though. I think I just need to get them used to it by using it regularly henceforth. (The Shark picked up a LOT of hay dust and fragments; it’s marketed specifically for handling pet fur and allergens.)

Gordo and Janice
    Participant

I’m sure they will become more accustomed to it in time. Icey did. At first the body language was butt real low, shoulders real high, eyes real wide, ears at full sail, and then scramble for perceived safety when the vacuum would be turned on. I would always talk to her more loudly, warn her, let her see it before turning it on so as not to surprise her. Over time the body language became more of just being annoyed. When we turned on the vacuum later on, the ears would reflexively respond accordingly, she would just look in the direction casually (seemingly annoyed), and after a minute get up and slowly saunter (bunny style) to find a more quiet space. We used a combination of the super light Oreck and the small Stinger shop vac.

At our age…lightest weight wins every time.  Every time.  Now if I could only find a lightweight high horse power lawn mower, I’d be in heaven.  Alas no such thing exists……yet.  Come on technology!

ThorBunny
    Participant

Glad the Shark is working well for you so far

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.