Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Best Angora Brush?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • PocketFaeries
      Participant
      81 posts Send Private Message

I’m hoping to find out about the best type of brushing tool to use on my sweet Finn.  Right now, I have a brush that is entirely plastic.  Initially, we thought this would be great as a gentle introduction into being brushed, since Finn was neglected in the grooming department before.  Well, the brush doesn’t bother Finn at all, and it’s a very comfortable routine we have with it.

My concern/question is about whether or not this brush is actually doing the job as effectively as it should be.  It *appears* to me like it does a fine job of just sort of "combing" the surface fur, but I don’t think it’s penetrating the top layer and getting into the really fluffy dander areas below.

I have thought about those metal brushes but they are so prickly even on my own skin to the touch that I worry this could hurt Finn. 

If anyone has *any* helpful suggestions on the type of brushing tool that is both gentle and effective on angoras, or just grooming advice for angoras at all, I’d be thankful.   Right now, Finn’s coat is big, fluffly, and adorable, but I’m worried that if I am not really getting the job done with this brush, we may end up with some unwanted mats and tangles.  On that adorable site I linked to in the Lounge section of this forum, (I can’t recall the name of it now), I noticed those angoras were groomed to the hilt! I’m not sure I can be that "coiffy" with Finn, but I do want to ensure the coat is well cared for and doesn’t become uncomfortable for Finn.

Thanks so much for any guidance!

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

i have a similar question… does anyone use the metal slicker brushes?  Meadow is shedding and i’m not sure if that would do a better job of getting out the lose hairs.  they do seem kinda stiff to me.

• MooBunnay
          Participant
          3087 posts Send Private Message

For angoras, I have heard that sometimes the metal brushes are used, and that sometimes the way to really get to the base of the fur is people will brush the opposite direction of the fur first, and then the normal way. Since Finn is still young, maybe can you try brushing the opposite direction of his fur, but with the brush that you have now. Then, as his hair gets longer, you can use the metal brush.

For Meadow – since she is not an angora, I’d recommend one of those plastic brushes, but try doing a once the opposite direction of the fur, and then going with the fur.

I originally had not seen people groom bunnies the opposite direction of the fur, however, at the rescue I work at, I saw one lady giving a bunny that was very much in need of a groom a good grooming. By going the opposite direction for one or two quick strokes, she was able to get out those furs that have already come out, but are caught up in the bunny’s regular fur.

Does anyone else know anything about brushing a rabbit the opposite direction of their fur? Is it OK to do?

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

i’ll try the opposite direction.  she actually likes being petted in the opposite direction and i notice it does seem to bring up more fur on my hand and on me.  not a bad idea.  i’ll try it very gently and see how she reacts and if it seems to work.

• angoralvr
              Participant
              500 posts Send Private Message

I use a metal rake brush on Henri. I got it from the dog section of the pet store. I was also worried about the stiffness of the bristles so I got one that has rotating tines. That way it doesn’t get tangled in Henri’s hair. This is the best way I have found to quickly and effectively groom his underocat. I haven’t had him for much more then a month though so that’s really the only advice I have.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Best Angora Brush?