Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Behavior change in 7 1/2 yr old bunny

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • DaisyMae
      Participant
      69 posts Send Private Message

We’ve had our bunny since she was a juvenile, and for the past several years, she’s had a routine where she is most active early in the morning, naps in her binky bunny mini haven in our bedroom from noon until dinner time, and then generally lounges around in the evening. She usually lays at the foot of our bed for awhile in the evening before going under the bed late at night for a few hours sleep, so she is used to being in our bed.  This past week, she’s gone absolutely nuts! She’s up all night, demanding attention. She comes up in bed and if we don’t pet her, she nudges us and digs at us keeping us up all night. During the day, she’s not napping in her mini haven .. in fact .. she’s not really napping at all.  I noticed she’s grinding her teeth a lot, so i put a call into the vet for an appointment.  In the past, when she’s had issues with stasis, she retreats, and doesn’t want to be around us.  This is the complete opposite.  She just flits from one place to the next, getting in as much trouble as she possibly can.  Right now, as I’m trying to write this, she’s behind the bed pulling up the carpet.  I constantly have to jump up to keep her out of trouble. It’s like she’s on crack!  It’s exhausting!

Last year she went through something where she was peeing and pooping in our bed, so we had to put a cage around it.  We eventually got through that, and were able to take the cage down, but I know if I put it back up, she’ll rattle it all night long, or worse … she’ll go under the bed and pull up carpet because she knows that gets our attention.  Fortunately, we’re getting all our carpets removed in a few weeks, and it can’t come soon enough.  My question is, I’m curious if anyone has experienced a bun who has gone through this.  I’m wondering if she’s having dental issues which is why I’m going to take her for a check up, but is it common for a bun in pain to act like this? Why else could she be acting like this?

• Hazel
        Participant
        2587 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry your bun is making you worry. Is she spayed?

• DaisyMae
            Participant
            69 posts Send Private Message

She was spayed as a youngster.  One other thing I forgot to mention … she has these “logs” made of compressed hay that she loves to chew on. I’ve noticed around the time this behavior started, she hasn’t been chewing on them, which is another reason I’m wondering if it’s a dental issue.  Hopefully the vet can get us in soon (waiting for a call back).  I just thought when bunnies had pain, they retreated, like ours does when she’s had issues with stasis.  This is the complete opposite.

• DanaNM
            8930 posts Send Private Message

That is unusual! I haven’t had something like that happen with my buns, but I think a vet visit is a good idea. I have had buns change their chewing preferences when they are uncomfortable, so it could be something like her teeth making her restless.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Behavior change in 7 1/2 yr old bunny