Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Barney the biting bunny

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • vanessa.b
      Participant
      15 posts Send Private Message

Thanks to everyone who picked up on my tale of woe with Barney via Dawn and Luey’s thread on aggressive buns.

My daughters rabbits are about 7 months old now and Barney has always been top bun and apart from a two week spell about two weeks after castrating Barney has always been very territorial. For those two weeks I really thought his hormones had settled and things would be OK – but no – Barney has once again after two unprovoked attacks turned into Mr Hyde when I am around. These are not nips but serious bites – I have a nice U shaped scar under where my wedding ring sits. For herbivores Barney sure likes the taste of blood!!!!

I have tried to counteract this by not reacting when he bites but this is not easy when he is hanging off your finger! and by continuing to make friendly overtures. I suspect he despises any attempt at friendliness from me!

I have not tried pushing his head down as I did read somewhere that rabbits lower their head to be groomed by another rabbit and this is a sign of dominance and I do see him pushing his lowered head under Herbie to be washed. Poor Herb is a real softie but gets the aggression if Barney can’t get at me so I hate to do anything to antagonise Barney to protect Herb. They are normally fine together it seems Barney really dislikes me near him or Herbie or doing anything within ‘his space’.

As far as my daughter goes she can do anything with Barney and he doesn’t bat an eyelid and whilst this is the case I am happy to give Barney a wide berth as much as possible. Louise has no qualms about holding Barney in a dominant hold and I guess that is why she is top bunny. Me – I won’t even pick him up now  – I am scared and he knows it. You are right, he shouldn’t be allowed to terrorise us  – I am obviously bottom of the pecking order, and I wish I could believe that he will mellow with  time but I suspect not.

Thanks for the flower essence suggestion, I have just bought some of the Bach Rescue Remedy and Barney has been on this for three days – no improvement yet. I will also try the thick glove/water bottle approach and see if this changes his behaviour

I do suspect however ( and Barney does seem very smart ) that this is his bloody minded nature coming to the fore and I have to accept him and his little foibles!!! A shame however as I would love to love him!

Thanks for all the input

Vanessa.

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Awe Vanessa I really, really hope things go better for all of you. It’s not easy to cope with a bunny who is aggressive towards you especially when you are trying so hard. I really wonder what has his fur all in a gruff over you? It could also be that he knows you are at the top of the pecking order and he is trying to overthrow you too. You’ve got such a sweet nature I hope that he can just do better by you and behave like a good bunny. I think that giving a go with the squirt bottle might help too.

• Gravehearted
          Participant
          2428 posts Send Private Message

it can take about a month for his hormones to calm down after the neuter. It is very frustrating to have such an aggressive bunny.

Think back on instances when he attacked – what was going on? Is there any common thread to the incidents? A lot of bunnies don’t respond well to a hand coming at their face.

When approaching a rabbit that bites use a flat hand, palm side down, with fingers spread as wide as possible. Have the hand several inches above the head and bring it down gently onto the rabbit’s forehead and nose from the front if possible. Pat and reassure bun that you mean it no harm and everything is okay with a loving, soothing voice. Never let anyone poke their fingers at your rabbit’s face; they’re very likely to get bit even if the rabbit isn’t a known biter. Depending on the intensity of your rabbit’s bite and your experience, you may want to use a pair of thick gloves at first to prevent any bites. When you become more comfortable, you can start practicing without the gloves. In time, the behavior will improve as the rabbit unlearns it with your help, patience and love.

I’ve found another good article on working with a biting / aggressive bun, it’s a bit long but there are some very good suggestions.

http://www.wisconsinhrs.org/Articles/The%20Biting%20Rabbit.htm

• Deleted User
            Participant
            22064 posts Send Private Message

I was most interested in reading the article about the aggressive grouchy biting bunny.  It was very informative and well written.

Vanessa – I hope all goes well with Barney … I feel sad that he will not interact with you and your family.  It is a real shame.  Let us know if you do decide to take up the advice from the article by the Wisconsin Rabbit Society.

Don’t run away!

Dawn xx

• vanessa.b
              Participant
              15 posts Send Private Message

Hi
                Thanksfor the replies.
                Barney has been more amenable today so maybe the Bach flower stuff is starting to work – please please please!

To answer a question Barney started biting about two weeks before he was castrated – I guess he was overloaded with hormones as he was constantly mounting Herbie. The biting is obviously territorial – he reacts to me entering his space to fill up bowls. clean up poops etc etc. I try to do this when he is not watching but he will poop everywhere, again territorial? and I get the impression he is watching me ready to make a mistake so he can attack! It’s fine for Louise to enter his space so I do not think he is just out and out vicious.

We did have a two week window after castration where he seemed much better but then he attacked again with no warning as I went to stroke him. We are now at a stage where he comes and sniffs me and I sit there on pins in case he is going to bite. I am sure he knows this and gets some perverse kick out of it! He will let me stroke him but I am not allowed to mess with his space/belongings. Do I accept this as strong minded normal bunny behaviour, but I just hate it when he attacks Herb when he can’t get at me.

Thanks for the wisconsin article – that was useful reading.

Will let you know how things progress
                Vanessa.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Barney the biting bunny