Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Barbering Issues in boned pair

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • BlobfishBun
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Beware: long story.

I have two recently bonded bunnies Michi (F 11months) and Marlow (M 11months) both fixed.

Neither groom the other but they do almost everything together. Recently, Marlow has started to barber Michis nose fur out. He doesn’t pull her fur but more nibbles it down as low as he can go like he was eating it. They skin is not irritated nor does she have any scabs or anything else. Just little bald patches

There is no violence between the two. No grunting, boxing or growling. I know bunnies will sit there and take whatever grooming they get even if it was negative.

I have tried to cover her nose with the bitter apple spray: nothing. Baby neosporin: nothing. New toys: nothing.

They free roam during the day and only go into a ~5 1/2ft x 10 ft cage at night (which is quite possibly when the barbering is occurring). They’ve been separated in side by side (then three inches apart) cages but even then they barbering still occurred when one of the other would free roam + the separation made them depressed.

Do you think being ‘trapped’ in the cage could be the reason this happens? Should I just let them free roam full time and let them have the cage as their home base? Or is the barbering just going to continue no matter ehat and I find a way to break the bond and keep them fully separated?

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

How long have they been bonded? Have there been any stressful events in the house? Some bunnies do overgroom when they are stressed, so I’m wondering if that’s what’s going on.

I think a 5 ft x 10 ft cage is big enough that they should be ok in their cage.  But maybe you could try giving them some extra toys to keep them busy? I wouldn’t separate them unless you see aggressive behaviors.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• BlobfishBun
          Participant
          2 posts Send Private Message

They’ve been fully bonded for about a month and a half now. Living together for two weeks. Thankfully there has not been any stresses in the house since they’ve bonded or living together.

Ive been researching different types boredom breakers for them and have made a few already. I’m also going to try a dig/forage box for him to see if that keeps him focused on something else.

Thank you for your reply!

• DanaNM
            8930 posts Send Private Message

So, if they have only been living together 24/7 for two weeks, I would consider that to be their “fully bonded” date. Being separated repeatedly can cause buns to have to somewhat reestablish things when they get back together.

Since this is a very new bond (even if you go of the 1.5 month timeline), I would just keep monitoring things. As long as there are not signs of actual aggression they are OK to stay together. I have a suspicion it will calm down with time as they settle into their relationship.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Barbering Issues in boned pair