Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Bald spot on nose??

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Alicia Conklin
      Participant
      721 posts Send Private Message

I was cleaning out some cardboard from Tucker’s cage today and I was giving him some bunny pets and I saw that he had a bald spot above his nose…like slightly below his eyes right in the middle.  I honestly don’t know if this has been here since we got him or not because he has only recently been letting me pet him on his face at all and it’s hard to really see at all because his fur covers it mostly.  I moved the fur away and I saw that it’s kind big…maybe the size of a pinky nail?  It’s kind of oval shaped but the skin below it is perfectly fine, no cut, not irritation, just perfect skin.  Any ideas what this could be?  I will try to get a picture of it if you think that would help.  I’m a bit worried…but since the skin below it is perfectly fine I am thinking it’s nothing that serious…but I’m worried that maybe there’s some weird illness that bunnies get that I am unaware of…

Edit: Here is a picture of the spot…it looks a bit red here..but it actually doesn’t look as red as it came out in the picture to me.  And it does not look broken at all…it’s just really weird. 

• JK
        Participant
        2223 posts Send Private Message

Is he doing a major shed right now? If so, it’s possible he’s shedding there. My bun is changing colors and losing hair like crazy right now! He had a white triangle above his nose and it is almost gone in like 3 days! I have noticed his ears seem like they are shedding some too. If he’s not shedding then I’m not sure. Maybe someone else here has some ideas.

• Alicia Conklin
          Participant

Hmm I haven’t noticed any major fur around…just some on his shelf since it’s covered in fleece and tends to pick up hair easily.   It’s weird because it’s such a concentrated spot…it’s like the hair is completely gone…just in that one area.

• MarkBun
            Participant
            2842 posts Send Private Message

I would keep an eye on it and if it starts to grow, then go see a vet but as it looks ok to you, I wouldn’t worry.

Are there any other buns or animals around that groom him? It could be that someone licked that spot bald.

• Alicia Conklin
              Participant

Nope there’s not, but there might have been at his old home.  We’ve only had him a few weeks…so maybe it was over groomed and just hasn’t grown back yet?

• MarkBun
                Participant
                2842 posts Send Private Message

It is possible. Sometimes when a bun is groomed too much, they lose some fur. Then the groomin’ bun notices the spot and grooms it some more, because, well it shouldn’t be there. Then it gets raw and red. The groomin’ bun then says, “Oh no! It’s an injury!” and proceeds to groom it even more.

He’ll probably be fine. Just make sure it doesnt’ increase in size.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant
                  12067 posts Send Private Message

There’s also bunnies who ‘overgroom’ themselves….someone on here had that experience, I can’t remember who though (my memory is great just short ) so hopefully they pop up and help!! But definitely I wouldn’t worry too much just keep an eye on it and watch for changes

• Alicia Conklin
                    Participant

I was thinking that maybe he overgroomed himself but I wasn’t sure how he’d have done that there on top of his nose LOL

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Bald spot on nose??