Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Bad at bonding or just personality?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • DustyBuns
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

Hi this is Dusty Buns!
        I have a question about bonding with your rabbit:) How long does it take? Will he ever be cuddly and love pets or is it his personality?

He is 3 1/2 months old male, I’ve had him since January. He is super skittish and it seems like he doesn’t like to be pet or held. After the first couple weeks I saw a good sign that he liked me because I would lay on the ground and he would lick me. Then he also would sometimes let me pet him when he was resting (never pick up). Lately he will not lick me or let me pet him. I’ve watched probably every YouTube there is to know about bunnies and I’ve tried treat training but nothing seems to be working😩😩

I don’t know if it’s because he may have had bad breeders? Or it’s my bonding techniques? Or maybe just his personality?

I pick him up to groom him and he always will kick even if I’m under his bum. The first time I cut his toenails I accidentally cut his quick so maybe I traumatized him? But it’s weird because I have groomed and cut his nails since and he has been less quirmy. Just the past three weeks he has been off. Lately I avoid touching him otherwise he will avoid me.

• Bam
        16871 posts Send Private Message

It’s too soon to tell if he will become a cuddly bun. Most buns do like being pet, esp on the forehead and around the ears. It often takes time though.

Right now Dusty Bun is starting puberty, which means he can have mood swings, be extra skittish, pee and poop mark, display courtship behaviours and just generally be rather restless.

This is perfectly normal.

I dont think you are doing anything wrong. Since he’s a lionhead you do need to groom him, so not picking him up isnt really an option. Rabbits dont like being picked up, but they can learn to accept it most of the times.

I think you just need patience. Moderator Dana always says to play hard to get with a new rabbit. You can for example sit on the floor and read a book, without even looking at the rabbit, and just let all attempts at interaction come from him.

• DanaNM
          8930 posts Send Private Message

Most buns don’t like being picked up (and might not ever learn to like it), but I agree it’s too soon to tell if he will learn to like pets. Lionheads know they are gorgeous and make you work for their love! LOL

I don’t think you traumatized him! Keep laying on the ground with him and yes, play hard to get! Beat him at his own game 😉

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Bad at bonding or just personality?