Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Baby Rabbit Being Lazy?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Teambenji543
      Participant
      31 posts Send Private Message

Hello! I’m pretty new to rabbits and I’ve been fostering this rabbit named Buster.

According to the shelter he is a baby, but he just sits and sleeps all day. When we put him outside to play, he just sat there, doing nothing. He’s also pretty big and completely fine with cuddles and being held. Is this normal for baby rabbits?

Thank You!

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

Is he eating and pooping well?

How old is he?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Teambenji543
          Participant

Yes, he is eating and pooping well. The shelter said that he was a baby, and I don’t really know how old he is. Is there a way to tell the age of a rabbit?

• bunnytowne
            Participant
            7537 posts Send Private Message

My ruby was that way. Loved to cuddle. She didnt ever care to play outside. She just sat there while my other bunny ran all over the place. Was so funny holding rubys leash going nowhere and trying to follow cotton who was trying to run all over. Lol. Ruby ran in the house a little but. Nothing compared to Cotton. She was very laid back. Calm cool and classy it seemed. All that running and binkying were beneath her. Lol. Unless she was chasing Cotton. Then i had to keep them seperated as it got violent. Hope this helps.

• DanaNM

He could just be a mellow bun. He also could still be settling in, or his exercise time isn’t lining up with his most active hours.

Ideally a bun should be able to come out of their main enclosure on their own to get to their exercise space. Not sure what his set-up is like, but if he is taken from a cage, and then just put outside, he might be too scared to explore or run around. (Also be aware that there are lots of dangers outside, like birds of prey and other predators).

Bunnies are most active morning and at night, so it’s best to give them at least some of their exercise time during those hours.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Teambenji543
                Participant

Yes, he has a play pen, but I leave it open all day for him to explore the house. That one time that I let him outside, he was in a playpen and I was sitting with him. So I guess he’s just an easygoing bunny!

• DanaNM

Some bunnies are mellow. 🙂 It can be tricky at first to learn what’s normal for you bun, and what’s a symptom of them not feeling well. You might find your bun comes out of his shell a bit and gets more adventurous with time, or he may just be a cuddle bug. If he’s eating well, pooping well, and isn’t showing other signs of pain (sitting hunched, loud teeth grinding, squinting, very cold ears), then he’s probably just relaxing.

One other random thought, if the floor is slippery he prob won’t be as inclined to run around. So putting down some blankets or rugs will help. My buns only zoomie and binky on the rugs now that we have wood flooring.

• Teambenji543
                    Participant

Yeah, Put fleece on the ground, and every day I let him explore around in my basement which is carpeted. Other then that, I don’t think that he’s in any pain or anything. 🙂

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Baby Rabbit Being Lazy?