Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Baby Foster Bunny With Head Tilt

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author
    • TARM
      Participant
      1253 posts Send Private Message

I haven’t been on in forever to give you guys an update, mostly because taking care of eight extra bunnies in addition to my four, plus three ferrets, two dogs and a rat keeps me quite busy…but the last couple of days has been bad…bad, bad, bad.

I came home from work on Thursday night and noticed that one of the foster babies was tilting her (?) head to the 2:00 position.  As soon as I saw this I called Mary Ellen and she had me call the vet.  They didn’t have any appointments that night or on Friday but they did allow me to drop her off over night so that the vet could squeeze her in at some point on Friday.  This vet is staffed 24 hours so she was in good hands.

Friday evening I was called to come get her.  She doesn’t have an ear infection so we’re treating her, the whole litter, and Mama for e. cunniculi.  She’s too small to be sedated for the test (which I don’t know anything about but Mary Ellen’s first concern was the ability to test her).  So, each bunny is now getting a daily oral medication for a month and an injectable every other day for the next 16 days.  Luckily I’m comfortable giving shots but giving 8 of them one right after the other is nerve racking.

Smudge (the sick bunny) is alert, eats and drinks great, but the tilt is worse.  Our hope is that since it was caught early she’ll straighten back up but I’m becoming less optimistic.  Her head was almost completely upside down this morning.  I was told we’re doing everything we can and that as long as she’s eating and drinking I should give the medicine time to work.  If I notice that she’s lethargic and not eating/drinking I should call the vet and Mary Ellen to figure out if there’s anything else that can be done.

We can use some Binky Bunny healing vibes over here.  I really want this little one to make it.  I want her brothers and sisters and mom to stay healthy.  They’ve come too far to have an unhappy ending. 

• Deb'sBuns
        Participant
        160 posts Send Private Message

They have to have a happy ending. You’re doing everything you can; I hope she gets better soon.

• jerseygirl
          22345 posts Send Private Message

You really are doing everything you can at the moment. Like you said, you got onto pronto so she’s got a fighting chance. You really must have your hands full. Hope they all come thru
            ((((((((((((((((((((((((Smudge, Siblings, Mama and TARM))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

You are a good foster mommy. Sending healing vibes to Smudge and the rest of the bunny family too.

• RabbitPam
              11002 posts Send Private Message

Oh, TARM, that’s so much more care to give so many bunnies. You have angel wings, you know.

{{{{{{{{{{{{Healing vibes for Smudge and the rest of the family, with strength and cheer for TARM}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

• Beka27
                Participant
                16016 posts Send Private Message

Big healing vibes! I couldn’t imagine doing all of that for 8 bunnies! I’m a nervous wreck when I have one sick bun. Please keep us updated on how she does!

(((((Smudge!)))))

• bunnytowne
                  Participant
                  7537 posts Send Private Message

Wow you are doing great.  I know this has to be overwhelming.  All their treatments.  Glad you caught it early.

Good healing vibes coming your way.  You hang in there you are doing great.        

• MooBunnay
                    Participant
                    3087 posts Send Private Message

I’m so glad to hear you caught it early and are able to medicate all of the bunnies. I’m sending many healing bunny vibes your way and I hope that Smudge’s head tilt improves soon. It sounds like he is still doing well though if he is eating and drinking, and he must not be in any pain because I know that they always seem to stop eating if they are in any pain. 8 bunnies is a LOT of injections, so I can understand how hard that must be, I had to do just one and it was very hard for me, but once you are done with all this you’ll probably be an excellent teacher for anyone else that needs help with their bunnies injections, and have lots of tips.
                      Good luck with everything, and let us know how things are going iif you get a chance!

• TARM
                      Participant

The tilt is much worse this morning. Her head is almost completely upside down. She still races around with the others, is eating and drinking normally so I’m guessing she’s not feeling too bad. When I get home tonight and see what she looks like I’ll call Mary Ellen to see if there’s anything else I should do. :0(

• KatnipCrzy
                        Participant
                        2981 posts Send Private Message

So sorry to hear about the foster baby being ill.  Keep us posted!

Healing vibes for Smudge and Health Vibes for littermates and Mom!

• Beka27
                          Participant

I know in many cases they can recover with prompt care. Some recovered HT bunnies will always have a tilt, but even if that’s the case, there’s no reason she couldn’t have a long, healthy, happy life. Continued good vibes!

• MimzMum
                            Participant
                            8029 posts Send Private Message

*prayers and healing vibes for poor Smudgie and all the bunnies and TARM too*

You poor thing! What a lot of trauma to go through. I hope it all comes out right soon!

How about your own bunnies though? Is there any chance of them getting the infection or are they part of the lot you are treating? (I can imagine how thrilled they are for taking preventative medicine, poor buns!)

• TARM
                              Participant

My rabbits aren’t in the same room and I always handle my rabbits before I handle the fosters, just to be on the safe side. Mary Ellen thinks Mama had coccidia and passed it to the babies through the milk. I didn’t think to ask the vet how a rabbit that young would wind up with e. conniculi. Poor thing, watching him race around with his neck all twised hurts my heart. :0(

• LittlePuffyTail
                                18092 posts Send Private Message

Poor little baby!!!!! {{{{{{{Get Better Vibes for Smudge and Family}}}}}}

I can’t even imagine how hard it must be for you going through all this and how hard it must be to care for a headtilt bunny, they just look so pitiful. Try to stay positive for the buns!!!!

• MooBunnay
                                  Participant

It probably doesn’t hurt your little foster bun as much as it hurts you to see it, baby bunnies are very happy-go-lucky, and he might not even realize that anything is wrong if he is still able to zoom all around. If you are giving him love, and attention, and proper care (which it definitely sounds like you are) then you are giving him much more than many other homeless bunnies get, and I”m sure he is very appreciative!

• KytKattin
                                    Participant
                                    1195 posts Send Private Message

I agree with MooBunnay, he probably doesn’t even realize that something is wrong! Animals of any age adapt very well, and since he is a baby, if this is permanent he will adapt even better, probably thinking it is just the way he is. Plus the other rabbits he is with probably don’t treat him any different. If only humans were as accepting as they are with ‘disabled’ people in our own society.

• TARM
                                      Participant

Smudge is doing much worse today. After almost a week of treatment (s)he can’t sit without rolling around and must be insanely dizzy. She’s just laying there limp and looking miserable. Her neck is twisted to what has to be an uncomfortable position. I called Mary Ellen and we decided it would be kindest to let her go. I’ll be taking her to the vet at 8 to be put to sleep.

RIP Smudge. :0(

• Binkles
                                        Participant
                                        823 posts Send Private Message

Are you positive it’s E.C. and not an ear infection? How did they rule out ear infection?

I just have to ask, this being similar to my experience when Little-Bit first came to me as a baby.

• KatnipCrzy
                                          Participant
                                          2981 posts Send Private Message

TARM- so sorry to hear that Smudge is doing so poorly.  At least Smudge had a loving caring home in her/his short life which is more than some bunnies ever have. 

• TARM
                                            Participant

The local rabbit expert vet examined Smudge and observed her for a day and ruled out an ear infection. I take this woman’s word as gospel when it comes to rabbits. She’s the one who told us to give Smudge a chance with medicine before making the decision to put her down.

I stayed with her through the whole thing. They sedated her first and she finally relaxed so that she wasn’t shaped like a coil. She was to the point where she just rolled around in circles and couldn’t stop unless she was pinned against something. My daughter literally had to hold her down inside the carrier during the car ride because she was just flopping around in circles. The tech came in the room and gave her the first shot. She fell alseep in my arns and then 10 minutes later the vet came back in to finish. It was quick and peaceful and I was whispering in her ear that she was a good bunny.

• jerseygirl
                                              22345 posts Send Private Message

How heartbreaking! Binky Free little one. (((hugs to you and your girls TARM)))

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                18092 posts Send Private Message

Oh, I’m so sorry you had to lose the little one. So sad that she was so young. I never even seen a pic and I’m getting teary eyed about this.

• Binkles
                                                  Participant
                                                  823 posts Send Private Message

D: I’m so sorry TARM. What a tough decision, but the baby is pain-free now.

• MimzMum
                                                    Participant
                                                    8029 posts Send Private Message

Oh that is too sad! *cries* I am so sorry TARM, but I am sure you made the best decision for poor Smudgie. ((((((((hugs)))))))
                                                      Binky free little Smudgie! Everything is all better now. *blows kisses to bunny*

• RabbitPam
                                                      11002 posts Send Private Message

TARM, I’m so sorry.
                                                        Little Smudge is at peace now and resting comfortably. The terrible suffering is over, and I’m sure she’s sending you little kisses from over the Bridge.
                                                        If you feel tickling on your arms, legs or hair, that’s her. You did everything you could.
                                                        {{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}

• Sarita
                                                        Participant
                                                        18851 posts Send Private Message

Hugs to you TARM.

I know it was hard but you did the right thing for this little one.

• Beka27
                                                          Participant

I’m sorry TARM. I really am. My thoughts are with you, and I hope the other babies and mama continue to thrive. You are doing an amazing job taking care of so many furbabies. Hugs.

Binky Free Smudge!

• KytKattin
                                                            Participant
                                                            1195 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry TARM. How are all the others doing? Did they ever have any signs of what Smudge had? Give all of them extra loving! They might have all been euthenized for no good reason at all if you weren’t there to foster them. Thank you so much for all you’ve done for this bunny family!

• sibley
                                                              Participant
                                                              305 posts Send Private Message

Poor baby =( That’s so scary that the bun was flopping around like that. It sounds like you really had no choice… did everything possible and couldn’t wait any longer to make a decision.

Maybe Smudge’s illness ended up saving the rest of the babies.

• bunnytowne
                                                                Participant
                                                                7537 posts Send Private Message

OH my thats a lot.   It must be hard for you to see her like that.  I dont’ know if I could bear it.  I really hope there is something that can be done to make her better. Am so glad you are trying for her to get well.

• MooBunnay
                                                                  Participant

I’m so sorry to hear that you had to make such a tough decision, but it really sounds like it was the best decision for the little sweetie. Its so great that you were able to be with her and comfort her.

Viewing 30 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Baby Foster Bunny With Head Tilt