Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Baby C Passed away on Saturday

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
    • vaneza
      Participant
      58 posts Send Private Message

Hello everyone,

I’m sad to say, my youngest baby bunny passed away this saturday.

I have felt so sad these last days, she was so beautiful and happy and just a joy to have around.

Now, I’m worried about Cortes, he’s been eating (but not as much) and he has been looking for her, under the bed, kitchen, bathroom, and he just seems so sad! I don’t know what to do, I don’t want to loose him too… what should I do?

1219161440771.jpg

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

OOHHH your breaking my heart…Poor little guy!! I’m sooo sorry for your loss

Binkyfree baby C!

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

Oh, I’m so sorry!

• kralspace
            Participant
            2663 posts Send Private Message

Such a beautiful bunny, I am so very sorry for you and Cortes.

Kathy

• vaneza
              Participant

thank you so much guys, any tips on how to get Cortes better??? I’m worried about him

• Sage Cat
                Participant
                1883 posts Send Private Message

It is so hard on us when a beloved pet passes. It is even harder to watch your other pets go through the grieving process.

Here are some links that may help:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-1/loss-support.html
                  http://www.coloradohrs.com/articles/care_rabbit_friend_dies.asp

• Thumpers_Mom
                  Participant
                  171 posts Send Private Message

Oh my…I’m so sorry for your and Cortes’ loss. I don’t have any suggestions and for that I’m sorry. I just wanted to express my condolences. Good luck. ((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

• JK
                    Participant
                    2223 posts Send Private Message

Oh I am so sorry too. Do you know what happened? It just seems like these guys are so fragile. Again I’m so sorry.

• vaneza
                      Participant

According to the vet, it was a heart attack, I didn’t know they were so delicate, she had been running around the house all day, and I didn’t put her back in the cage because it seemed like she was having so much fun.

She just came and laid down next to me (out of character) so i pet her, went to the restroom to put make up on ’cause i was getting ready to go out with friends, when I came back she was just laying there and Cortes was licking her, I took her to the vet ride away, but she had already passed

• bunnytowne
                        Participant
                        7537 posts Send Private Message

oh nooo that is terrible. are you considering a friend for cortes? all I can offer is give him extra attention. it is hard all around to watch him search and grieve and for you to grieve too.  oh my.    my bun we put down cuz he was in pain and vet didn’t really know why I was so sad but his friend was so jealous so he doesn’t seem to mind I dont’ think he eats and plays normal he did look for his friend a little bit too. and we moved so that probably gave him something else to ponder on instead. awe. I am so sorry that happened to your bun. how were you to know. was such a gorgeous bun tooo.

• brook
                          Participant
                          55 posts Send Private Message

I am so sorry for your loss. We just lost Bomber a month ago and I understand your pain and sadness. Such a sudden loss too that is horrible. Bomber was sick on a saturday morning and died the next morning at 5 am (same day for us because we never went to sleep). Bomber too had a friend, sophie our cat, they were pretty close and ran and played everyday. She slowed down her eating for a few days and was always looking for him. I cannot imagine with 2 bonded bunnies, I dont know suggestions for you. Maybe another bunny even though it’s hard to think about right now. We lost one of our lovebirds a year ago and as hard as it was the first thing we could think about was her mate, so we immediately that day went out and got another, they bonded instantly and we were lucky. Even if your bun doesnt bond with a new bun right away, it would still be a distraction for Cortes if they could be in cages next to eachother, he would maybe be curious about the new bun and think less of his lost mate. Again I am so sorry for your loss, only time can heal the pain.

• MarkBun
                            Participant
                            2842 posts Send Private Message

I know that the passing was a terribel thing for both you and your bun. Although this may sound morbid, what you should do when one bun of a bonded pair passes away is to take the body and place it with the living bun. You should give him some time to come to terms with the fact that their friend is no longer with them.  It sounds like he was trying to wake her up to go play and didn’t have the time to realize that she had gone onto the rainbow bridge.  It helps with the healing process for them.

Depression for the survivor is rather common. You need to keep on giving them more attention and making sure they keep on eating. Although very rare, some buns can die from a broken heart. I know that the last thing you want to do is begin looking for another bun – it would seem as if you’re replacing C rather quickly. But taking Cortes on some dates might bring his spirits up and you never know who you might find for him.  Barring that, you just need to shower him with extra affection and let him know that he is still loved.

• Beka27
                              Participant
                              16016 posts Send Private Message

i’m so sorry.  that’s always sad, but especially for her to be so young.

• vaneza
                                Participant

Thank you everyone for your sweet words and advice, I actually noticed that Cortes is bonding with a stuffed animal that she used to lay next to… I’m sure he misses her so much.

I took the little one when she was still sort of alive (I think) to the vet, and didn’t bring her back, so I wish I would’ve known, and I would’ve left her with him there to ease the process… I think he’s just waiting for her.

I’m so glad to be able to speak with people that understand what I’m going through, some people have rolled their eyes at what I’m feeling… the support is appreciated.

• RabbitPam
                                  11002 posts Send Private Message

I read your post first, but found it hard to answer because it is so heartbreaking. I’m so very sorry. That’s such a shock.
                                    Was Cortes related to C? If not then he doesn’t have a weak heart too, genetically, so will probably not have the same health problem. I’m glad the vet diagnosed C for you so you know it wasn’t a contagious infection.

I can’t offer better advice than those who have already. Just that you will both comfort each other. Maybe dates for him won’t result in a new mate to come home right away, but would give him some “play date” time to visit with other bunnies. (I hope that wouldn’t make it worse for him not to have a companion at home too.)

Is the picture Baby C or Cortes? So beautiful.

• Scarlet_Rose
                                    Participant
                                    4293 posts Send Private Message

Vaneza I am very sorry for what has happened.  Poor little doll.  Spend extra time and love on Cortes at least he had a little time with her. Hang in there and rely on one another for comfort.

• babybunsmum
                                      Participant
                                      3896 posts Send Private Message

i’m so so sorry.  how sad   the only thing i can think of for cortes is – as others have already suggested – to give lots & lots of attention & affection.  ((((((hugs for you & cortes))))))

• vaneza
                                        Participant

That’s little C, this is a picture of Cortes about 6 months ago, he’s a lot bigger now…

I’ve been laying down on my stomach on the floor and petting him a lot, he actually loves it when I kiss him on his forhead, so I’ll keep doing that, he started jumping on my bed again, (wich he stopped doing after I got little C) and demanding attention.

We’ve been relying on eachother a lot, I just hate that I have to come to work and leave him alone for so long

1219315920171.JPG

• Lion_Lop_Lover
                                          Participant
                                          971 posts Send Private Message

My sympathies

• MooBunnay
                                            Participant
                                            3087 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry to hear you lost your little bun I know how heartbreaking it is when a young bun passes away. I would definitely recommend keeping an extra close eye on Cortes, give him lots of treats and attention and make sure periodically throughout the day that he is still eating and pooping. Are you considering getting Cortes a new companion? I know its probably a hard thing to think about, but if it is something you are considering, taking Cortes on a few bunny dates at a rescue might help him feel some companionship and cheer him up a bit.

I hope that you are feeling OK, and we are always here for you

• RabbitPam
                                              11002 posts Send Private Message

Oh, he’s so sweet! Thank you for putting up his picture.

I just had a thought – what about getting him a little stuffed bunny, like the others have used when they are bonding bunnies? I’m not sure what’s the safest type (what do you all buy?) but maybe a little toy companion would keep him company during the day. Not with Baby C’s scent on it, though maybe yours, but just his own to snuggle with.

Bunny/Mummy kisses back and forth heal all heartaches.

{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}

• jellyrose
                                                Participant
                                                111 posts Send Private Message

Big hugs for you and nose rubs for Cortes! I think rabbitpam might be right…. try getting him a fluffy friend and give him lots of attention. I’ll make you feel better too!

• osprey
                                                  Participant
                                                  2065 posts Send Private Message

Binky free, little one, and hugs to you.  So hard to lose them so young.

• MarkBun
                                                    Participant
                                                    2842 posts Send Private Message

Yeah, he’s still waiting for her to come home.  The stuffed animal that cortes is now lying with will help with the sadness. I think he’ll be be fine in the long run. Just stay strong for him and love him. They are both lovely.

• Gravehearted
                                                      Participant
                                                      2428 posts Send Private Message

I am so very sad to hear about your loss, sending you and Cortes lots of healing wishes during such a sad time.
                                                        Keeping a careful eye and lots of extra love to Cortes is really important right now. some bunnies are so grief stricken that they stop wanting to eat, so then it becomes necessary to find then a new friend.

• Lisa_43
                                                        Participant
                                                        1499 posts Send Private Message

I am so sorry for your loss, It is really heart breaking to loose a much loved pet.

• kimberleyanddarren
                                                          Participant
                                                          2520 posts Send Private Message

how old was s/he? very sad

• vaneza
                                                            Participant

She was 4 months old…

Last night I let him roam around my apartment like old times (he was a free range bunny) and he chewed through my phone charger

I thought he was acting up, but after a little while, I was sitting on the floor doing and ab work out and he kept playing with me, demanding attention and laying behind me (it was a hard work out). I noticed that he’s demanding a lot more attention than usual, which I’m happy to give him, but I think he’ll be fine…

Thank you everyone for your support, I am going to get him a brand new stuffed bunny for him to play with, I know he was really close to them when he was younger

Viewing 27 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Baby C Passed away on Saturday