Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Baby Bunny worried

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Mancub
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

So I got my bun 1,5 weeks ago, he’s 10 weeks old and acclimated well to my apartment. He’s been social with me licking my nose and forehead, lots of binkies, zooming etc. Sure he has been spooked sometimes when I enter the room and he is not used to being pet or hold. But even there I have been able to give him a couple of pets on his forehead when giving him treats.

Anyway to my question..

I did a few adjustments to his corner 2 days ago. I removed the ”open” playpen he had and put it around my bed instead (that he frequently hides under and pooped under even with having 2 litter boxes nearby).
        After this he has been distancing himself from his corner and my main-room in my apartment is this because I changed it? He hid in my hallway behind a box. So I felt bad and removed the playpen parts from my bed. He is back under there coming out sometimes eating, drinking and pooping and lays down near me for a while before hiding away again.

I want him to be happy and relaxed, should I just let him get back to that by letting him have some alone time?

• Cinnimon&Ollie
        Participant
        300 posts Send Private Message

It sounds like you let him roam without a cage all day. Which is great if that is what you are doing. I would put a home base up for him and keep the door open so he could come out when he feels like it. If I misunderstood what you wrote I am sorry.

• Mancub
            Participant

Correct he is free roaming! I put it up again just now and I feel like he is a bit more relaxed. With the Door open. Maybe the playpen made him protected and not so exposed perhaps and then it’s more his own decision to come “out”. Maybe I pushed him to much he just seemed so comfortable around here before so I thought it was time, but to much to soon I guess

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

I do think that bunnies feel safer when they have a “home base”, such as a pen, cage, or condo, even if it’s left open all the time. That way they feel like they have a safe spot to retreat to if they feel threatened.

So I think I would keep a pen around his corner, as you had, even if you choose to leave it open all the time. Then you can get a second pen to block off your bed if needed.

He’s also around the age where he might start to hit puberty (and get some adult instincts), so you might expect to see some hormone-based personality changes happening around 12-16 weeks. These should settle down as he gets older and once he is neutered.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Mancub
                Participant

Yeah, I think you are right. I put it back up and kind of already saw him gaining more confidence again. Feel so stupid for pushing him out of his safe spot 🙁 .

Oh I wasn’t aware it could start that early! I will definitely be looking out for any sign of him having any behavioral changes. Thank you so much for your answer

• DanaNM
                8935 posts Send Private Message

You’re welcome! Glad he’s acting more relaxed again 🙂

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Baby Bunny worried