Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Baby Bunny diet?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • COOKIE'N FLUFF MOMMA
      Participant
      182 posts Send Private Message

I am a proud new mommy of 2,    8 1\2 week old baby lionhead bunnies. I”ve had them for about a week 1/2 and this is pretty much my 1st time raising bunnies. The diet i have them on now is a pellet made with timothy hay and regular timothy hay. I was wondering if this is the right diet for their age and what changes i should make if any. Any info will help me. thanks a bunch!

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

young buns can have alfalfa hay. the tim pellets are good, and you can give them in unlimited amounts until 7 months. at 7 months switch over to tim hay as well. within the next month you can start introducing veggies. they will need approx. 2 cups of veggies per day per bun.

• Lion_Lop_Lover
          Participant
          971 posts Send Private Message

Do you know what sex they both are? Once they reach sexual maturity it will be hard keeping them together (if they are same sex) if they are male and female you will need to separate them by 10 weeks old. You can keep them bonded by dividing the cage in half so they can still see/smell each other…
            As for diet, yes alfalfa hay is very good for young buns and if you can get Martin’s Rabbit Pellets, which are alfalfa based you can feed those for the first little while, then switch to Martin’s Less Active rabbit pellets which are timothy based.

Any pics?

• COOKIE'N FLUFF MOMMA
            Participant

They are both females. Dont have pics on the computer yet but will really soon. The lady i got them from said since they are sisters they should be fine in the same cage. Dont know if that is true or not.

as for the diet problem i guess i need to switch them to a Alfalfa diet instead of timothy till they get a little older. Since they have long hair i was concernd about digestion and heard timothy hay was good for loosening up their food and hair in their tummy.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
              Participant
              12067 posts Send Private Message

The one thing you want to be very careful of is, false-female…it’s very very hard to sex bunnies so you *may* have one male and one female or two males. What you DO NOT want is a male and a female in the same cage, who aren’t altered.

It’s good to take them in for a yearly check up-As well they need a check up before a vet will spay/neuter…so you might want to take them in for a check up and have the vet re-sex them. Just to be certain!! I can’t tell you the number of accidental litters that we’ve seen on here!!

You can feed them a mix of alfalfa and timothy-no need to throw out your timothy hay (others -please correct me if I’m wrong! But I’m pretty sure…)

Anyways Welcome to binkybunny !! I can’t wait to see pictures of your little fuzzballs!!

• Sarita
                Participant
                18851 posts Send Private Message

They need timothy hay too and I would not stop with that. You can give them a nice handful of the alfalfa hay daily as well but don’t stop with the timothy.

We have fed baby bunnies timothy pellets from the time they are old enough to eat on their own at the rescue I help at and they are just fine – we just supplement with the alfalfa hay and continue to feed the timothy unlimited too.

• Beka27
                  Participant

silly me, i didn’t even welcome you properly!

WELCOME!

yes, the timothy pellets are definitely good. i wouldn’t switch those at all. just the alfalfa hay. or like Sarita said, offer both for some variety.

i’m guesing the woman meant well, but being sisters has nothing to do with whether they can be in the same cage. any two buns can be housed together when they are very young, but once they reach sexual maturity, they will need to be split up until altered. it’s rare for two buns, esp. two unspayed female buns to be able to be housed together with aggression. females are actually more territorial than males.

i would make a vet appt as soon as possible to have them both sexed by a professional (by “professional” i mean a vet). if they are in fact both female, they will probably be okay caged together for another couple months, but then you will need alternative housing until after the surgeries.

have you done research on altering rabbits yet?

• Gravehearted
                    Participant
                    2428 posts Send Private Message

welcome to binky bunny! I would agree with everyone else – keep them on the timothy pellets and hay – but add in the alfalfa hay too. Rabbits are VERY commonly mis-sexed, so I would also recommend getting them into the vet to ensure they’ve been properly sexed. Bunnies reach sexual maturity at 3-4 months for small breeds and 4-6 month for larger breeds, so it is important to get them checked before that point.

• COOKIE'N FLUFF MOMMA
                      Participant

I WILL BE SURE TO GO GET SOME ALFALFA TO ADD TO THEIR DIET. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

I WILL ALSO BE CALLING THE VET SOON FOR THEIR 1ST CHECK UP. CAN’T WAIT TO INTRODUCE THEM TO THEIR VET. I KNOW ALL ABOUT MIS SEXING ANIMALS. I HAD GOTTEN A KITTEN ONCE I WAS TOLD WAS A GIRL. SO…I NAMED HER PHOEBE AND NOT EVEN WORRYING ABOUT CHECKIN MYSELF. FEW MONTHS LATER I SAW SOMETHING BETWEEN HER LEGS AND WAS LIKE “OH CRAP” . SO NOW I HAVE A BOY CAT NAMED PHOEBE. THE VET GETS A GOOD LAUGH OUT OF IT. MY FRIENDS CALL HIM  HEBE NOW   LOL

• Beka27
                        Participant

^^^lol! Hebe!

• kralspace
                          Participant
                          2663 posts Send Private Message

hahahhah

My vet says my male siamese cat has a nasty attitude because we mis named him Katie!
                            (uh, the vet is the one who told us he was a she…..)

Kathy

• COOKIE'N FLUFF MOMMA
                            Participant

Finally got some pics up on my profile

• Beka27
                              Participant

they are beautiful! i love the nose to nose shot!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                Participant
                                12067 posts Send Private Message

Thats a great story!! hebe!! LOL!!

Cute pic of your bunny!

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Baby Bunny diet?