Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Baby bun runs to me for attention, then runs away

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lionlove429
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

I have a 5week old lionhead. I know. Wayyy too early to be separated from his mom. Unfortunately, she started attacking him when he was just under 4 weeks old. He’s been fed alfalfa pellets, hay, and oats to try and make up for some of the calories he’s missing out on. She will attack him if he’s even put in her area for a few minutes. She is getting spayed and they are separated. He was the only surviving bunny in her litter, so he got a lot of attention. Bindi was borderline obese until around 3 weeks, he’s still a sturdy little guy, but seems to have grown into his skin.

When she started attacking him (biting, hair pulling, chasing) I took him out of her room and put him in a large litter box with feline pine covered in alfalfa and pellets, with a water bowl. He goes where I go, spends some time in his box but mostly likes to hop around the couch or bed. For his age he’s doing great with potty training. He just has some funny behaviors. A new one is that he’ll run up to me with a boop, when I pet him he runs away and does a binky or two. After that, he’ll run up to me again and do the same thing. I’m assuming it’s a game? He seems to like it if I bounce my hand after him.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with a similar situation or behavior?  Thank you in advance for any advice!

• Wick & Fable
        5782 posts Send Private Message

Has he been weaned successfully? While 5 weeks is younger for when we’d want him separated from his mother, if he is showing adequate ability to eat pellets and hay on his own, separation would be fine. Re-introducing milk or other things to a weaned kit’s diet can cause gastric distress.

It sounds like there is a feeling of general comfort and energy around you. In some contexts, binkying is actually an evasive maneuver (i.e. flinging into the air can potentially dodge an attack). If the baby’s ears are not flat back, it suggests that this is not aggressive and is likely more playful or just a want for some interaction. You can offer some toys to redirect that energy and “play”, if appropriate.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Lionlove429
          Participant
          2 posts Send Private Message

Yes, he’s eating and I’m constantly keeping an eye on his stools. He’s definetly happy, he does the same thing before flopping down for a nap. I’ve seen bunnies sleep in strange positions, but he takes the cake. On his back, sideways, half twisted, whatever position he can get into he will! I’ve tried some toys, but no luck yet. He does like when I tilt his carrier up though, he’ll jump to the top and slide down over and over 🙂

• LBJ10
            16908 posts Send Private Message

This isn’t unusual behavior for a young bunny. And yes, I have always interpreted it as some sort of game. Boop, “Hi”, runs away, “Ok, bye”.

• SophiaRayen
              Participant
              10 posts Send Private Message

My girl, Ginki has been doing this for a while now. First I misinterpreted this behavior as a call for attention. I didn’t understand why she runs away though. And one day it dawned on me: she wants to play tag. I have read on every forum that bunnies don’t like to be chased, but I guess she is special. She loves running around the room with me following (I look like a complete idiot), she does binkies, zoomies, hides and than storms out like crazy. And when we are done she comes to me for a treat 🙂 Maybe your bunny also wants to run around together. They are very social after all. Just be cautious, don’t startle him.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Baby bun runs to me for attention, then runs away