Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Babies fighting

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lisa_43
      Participant
      1499 posts Send Private Message

My hubby and I just saw the 5 boys in a group huddle running around in circles trying to hump and bite each other, one or two of them ran off and started thumping.

They have now all retreated and seem to be in shock and are resting.

I guess this is hormones and trying to dominate each other.

They are now 9 weeks old, and the one that started it is my little runt.

Surely I don’t have to start separating them as I am defiantly running out of room.

When they do it again should I leave them or Intervene?

• BinkyBunny
        8776 posts Send Private Message

You will need to intervene as they can begin to hurt each other.  I have seen babies inflict serious wounds to eyes, noses and mouths.   Usually there is one or two instigators or one that is being picked on.  So you will have to separate them out.    

• Lisa_43
          Participant

I already know who started it, my little runt Gizmo and Tiger Lilly came in a close second all my others are quite placid. (so far)

It has been nice seing them together and happy, Im not looking forward to this part, watching them fight sure breaks your.

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

Those dang hormones! Hopefully they will be fine until you get them neutered but you will have to watch carefully. Sometimes this happens and sometimes they are just fine together. We had a trio with 2 males and a female and they never ever fought even before being altered. I guess something must have set the boys off. It is a large group so I imagine there has to be one bully in the group.

• babybunsmum
              Participant
              3896 posts Send Private Message

sorry to hear hormones are entering into the picture for you.  maybe just isolating gizmo would help for the time being?  or tiger lilly.  little buggers!

• Beka27
                Participant
                16016 posts Send Private Message

if you’re gonna do the neuters in stages you may want to neuter the troublemakers first…

• osprey
                  Participant
                  2065 posts Send Private Message

The same thing happened with the last litter that we fostered.  At about 10 weeks or so the boys started to fight.  it was quite scary, and I got bitten a couple of times trying to break up fights.  You may have to separate the trouble makers until they are neutered.

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant
                    4293 posts Send Private Message

Lisa I am so sorry to hear about the disharmony with the boys.  Since Osprey mentioned biting, you might want to keep a metal strainer on hand to place over their head to keep them separate but they can still breathe and not bite.

This is what I am talking about:

<a target=_blank href="javascriptpenViewWindow2();”>Oxo Good Grips Double Rod Strainer

• Lisa_43
                      Participant

I like the strainer idea Scarlet, Greg also has police gloves that are toughened for needle stick injury so both will come in handy.

I should of known something like this was going to happen, Gizmo has been starting to nip me and generally being a pain. (I still love him tho)

He is the instigator and Tiger Lilly follows his lead.

It seems to start happening when they have the full run of the outside pen.

I will just have to keep a close eye and if it happens again Gizmo is outa there lol.

I still have another 7 weeks before they can be neutered, I sure will be counting the days down.

Another question, any reason they seem to be very interested in grooming or sniffing each others butts?

Sorry it sounds a bit gross.

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant
                        4293 posts Send Private Message

Thanks! Oh my well you may soon see if those gloves are bunny-proof too! The sniffing sounds like something dogs do, a sort of signifier for who it is and maybe they are checking to see if the other is a girl or not? I have no idea.

• Lisa_43
                          Participant

I am a little worried; I hope the vet got the sexes right as he was not a rabbit savvy vet.

He looked like he knew what he was doing he checked their privates as well as feeling their lower tummies for the testicles; I just don’t want anymore babies.

Beka, I am going to get them neutered all together, Sarita and yourself had said it will be a good idea and I trust your judgments.

I think if they all get done together they can then recover together, easier on them and me.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Babies fighting