Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR awe now whats wrong

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • bunnytowne
      Participant
      7537 posts Send Private Message

why is he doing this? cotton comes digs smooths licks then jumps off like he wants to pee on the couch and I wont’ let him and repeats again. then finally he pees on me. now it isn’t like he isn’t using the litterbox. I am getting really frustrated with his behavior. I guess next time he does the hop off hop on thing run him to the litterbox. i know he knows and I am going to get another litterbox with a top wire thingy so stuff doesn’t get all over the floor and put it on the floor by the couch and his house. I  don’t know what else to do take him to the vet maybe? everything else looks and seems normal he went from the couch to me. and I just chased him off teh couch he knows. and cornered him he jumped into my arms again awe I can’t resist giving him loves and I put him on the litterbox he should be using. oh darn rabbits.

• RabbitPam
        11002 posts Send Private Message

I’m pretty baffled about why he does this so much too, but had one suggestion.

Maybe he is trying to tell you he has to pee soon when he first jumps up and down once. You could scoop him up at that moment and put him in his litter box. Stay with him there until he pees, then you both can go back to the couch area. My bunny used to get kind of agitated and jumpy when he had to go (don’t we all). Sometimes he would have liked his litter pan but just couldn’t hold it. If Cotton goes enough in his pan, he won’t need to go again. Is he neutered? I forgot.

• bunnytowne
          Participant

yes he is neutered and I will run him to his litterpan next time. I put him 2 big storage containers for litterpans maybe he would like that better and I am putting the grated one under the table we rearranged and the desk he liked his stuff under was moved 2 weeks ago so maybe under the table might help we will certainly find out. yes he does look agitated when he comes and digs smooths and licks the 2nd time he gets more frantic with the digging probably what he is trying to tell me. I gotta go NOW HELP ME

• Deleted User
            Participant
            22064 posts Send Private Message

Sprinkles does not too … but only with me … like the jump on thing scratchy scatchy jump off and then jump on again and pee pee on me.  I know she is going to pee on me so I have to race her off to her litterbox hoping she will do it in there, but half the time it does not happen.

Sprinkles is also spayed but she lives with my ex boyfriend, but she never does it to him … only with me when I visit.  She goes nuts when she sees me.  Its like oh here’s Mum again and I have not marked her for so long …. Mmmm I’ll wait till she sits on the couch.

However, having said that when she was with me she would do it all the time.  Forever washing pee pee towels and blankies (and my clothes LOL).

Its like they are marking you as ownership … like when they mark the house I suppose.  I really dont have any other explanation for the peeing thing.  Sprinkles is a slow learner with using the littertray (should I say not using it!).  She still pees around ex’s place when she is out and about.

I know its frustrating and I can understand what you are going through.  But you are doing the right thing by rushing him to his littertray area … maybe just pop a few more around when Cotton is sitting with you and when the diggy thing starts up pop him in his tray and offer a small treat.  Its consistency, patience and constant reiterating of letting Cotton know where he needs to go to pee/poop.

Oh yes, I agree with you DARN bunnies!

Dawn xx

• Gravehearted
              Participant
              2428 posts Send Private Message

he’s wanting to mark the couch as his territory, as Dawn said. It does not sound like a health related thing, but more a behavioral one.
                Perhaps putting lil treats in his litterboxes will encourage him to use them when he’s out – like a sprig of his favorite herb or veggie?

have you tried really cleaning the couch with vinegar / water to remove the scent? honestly- i don’t think there is an easy way to get him to stop. the box by the couch may help, but it’s likely going on because he wants to mark the couch as his territory.

you don’t have any other pets who lay on the couch by chance?

• Deleted User
                Participant
                22064 posts Send Private Message

Bunnytowne

An idea I tried with Sprinkles was to reduce her running space and place her back in her pen area and reinforce the littertray habit. 

Perhaps you could try this with Cotton … I know you like to have him out with you for cuddles etc, but I personally feel reducing his area and maybe putting him away for a few days will not hurt … just until he gets the hang of it again.  Then you could give him a bit more space … a little bit at a time.. but reinforcing the habit.

Unfortunately, with Sprinkles it just did not work … I kinda gave up with the littertraining after 12 months.  I had her in one room to run around in and had about four litterboxes scattered around.  It is definitely hard work …but hey not all bunnies are like Sprinkles.  Most of them get it in the end.  Fingers crossed for Cotton and your sanity LOL.

Dawn xx

• bunnytowne
                  Participant

hey I took cotton out to shop for his green she enjoyed the grass more heheee. I took him in his carrier on his leash I took him out while outside waiting on hubby. he dug so I put him down to see if he go pee. nope then I put him on the grass I think he peed and ate the grass. eeew all those nasty cigarette butts there I made sure none were  near bun bun.   then we get home I set him out took his leash off he jumped to the couch oh noo I said he ran off I picked him up put him in his 3rd pan by the couch and he did excellent I put some hay 3 kinds in there he goes and nibbles and pees he used the 2nd box too. hehee. the 1st pan I put under the table he doesnt’ like it  is the one with the tray I guess he doesn’t care for it. he used to use it when it was the only one but I think he likes the big one better. I put a paper for him to chew and a paper towel roll so now he goes in there chews eats and it seems to be working I haven’t seen him on the couch in coupel of hours. I am about to go lie on it tho. and I have only 1 pet cotton I am the only one who lies on that couch hubby uses the other one. he just started this in feb when we moved. maybe I got it now 2 big littter pans with stuff to eat and play in . seems he likes that. the one he hangs in but doesn’t pee in is on top of his food container he hangs out in there I put hay in it for him. I put his rose petals hibiscus stick and leaf lettuce and parsley and cilantro in his cage I have to give the papaya last to get him in his cage without me picking him up. well hope fully we got it down now and I have to spray the couch with vinegar next and the pillow wash that one. I can still smell it. alright lets see what tomorrow brings  or maybe he wants to mark me as his since is first time hubby has stayed home this long. who knows

• RabbitPam
                    11002 posts Send Private Message

Sounds promising.
                      A word of caution: some public places use pesticides on their grounds, so the cig. butts may not be the only risky things in the grass. You know your own lawn is safe.
                      When is Cotton getting his driver’s license?

(“Hey, Ma, why don’t you tell that big animal you call Hubby to make himself useful and go get me some treats or a nice head of lettuce. I’m busy playing here.”)

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR awe now whats wrong