Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Attempt to bonding using 24/7 method

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • khushi2020
      Participant
      20 posts Send Private Message
        I am trying to bond my bunnies using the 24/7 method. I started them off in a small space and when the fighting subsided upgraded them to a bigger space.
        That seemed to go well. When I went one more size up, I changed the type of enclosure. I was using bins before that blocked their view to C&C grids.
        Once I moved them into the C&C grid enclosure one of the buns could see he was in a familiar space (the living room) he started becoming territorial. Every time the other bunny tried to venture to the other side of the enclosure a fight would break out . Our theory was since now he could see he was in a familiar space (the living room) he started becoming territorial.
        There is only one space in the house that is “neutral” by our coat closet, but you can easily see into the living room from there… Our first bunny has pretty much been in every part of the house, so other than the alcove I mentioned above I don’t have neutral territory. I am thinking of just getting bigger and bigger bins to upgrade them into to block the view so the 1st bun can’t tell where he is, and I have been using Febreze to change the scent of the room.
        I moved them back into the bigger bin, and my 2nd bun seems a lot more relaxed and the 1st bun isn’t being territorial anymore. The last stage I thought of once I go to the biggest size of bin is to move them into the x-pen that belonged to my 1st bun, and if frequent fighting occurred downsize them again.
        Depending on how well they did, switching them back and forth between their previous x-pens before free roaming them again. Anyone else had any success with the 24/7 bonding method with no neutral territory left in the house?

• Wick & Fable
        5782 posts Send Private Message

It would be helpful to get some more information about the rabbits themselves. While structurally there are steps to consider in bonding, rabbit personality can also impact recommendations, like how much to involve yourself and such. We have a bonding template here you can copy and paste with: https://binkybunny.com/forums/topic/bonding-template-read-me-for-bonding-help/

Is your bathroom a neutral space/could be made neutral? I had success with my rabbits being better tolerant of each other when in the bathroom:

… As you can see, very little room to navigate, but we knew it was temporary and for good cause! There are two litter boxes in there (one on the opposite wall, covered by yellow towel).

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• khushi2020
          Participant
          20 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for getting back to me Wick.  Unfortunately our bathroom is way too small, and also is not neutral as the 1st bunny has been in there.  Below are the responses. I like what you did to cover the wall. So we are going to move them into the ex-pen and covered the sides with blankets that I laundered and then sprayed with febreeze so they don’t have any familiar smells and can’t see where the pen is located. Hoping that goes well.

Spay/Neuter

Are your bunnies spayed/neutered?- Yes both male rabbits are neutured 
            If so, for how long (for each)?- 1st bunny was neutured 2.5 months ago. 2nd bunny was neutured 5 weeks ago 

Housing
            Please describe your bunnies’ current housing set-up (living together, as neighbors, etc.).- 1st bunny was freeroam in the house. 2nd bunny had his own designated room. 1st bunny was allowed to go see 2nd bunny through a gate everyday. 

Bonding background
            Did you allow the bunnies to “settle-in”?- Yes
            How would you describe your bunnies reactions towards each other (answer for each bunny): shy, scared, curious, calm, aggressive, excited, affectionate, etc.?- When they first met 2nd bunny was still not neutured so he was very territorial and would grunt and thump and leave territorial poops. Then after neutering the thumping, grunts and territorial poops basically went away. They would be curious but after a while it seemed like someone wanted to nip at the other bunny which is when I would intervene and stop the meeting. 

Have you done any “pre-bonding” (cage or litter box swaps, etc.)?- Yes 
            If so, for how long?- litterbox, toys, food bowls were all swapped it was done for about 2.5 weeks 
            Have you started sessions yet?- Yes, currently on Day 4 of 24/7 bonding 
            How long have you been working on bonding your bunnies?- Using the 24/7 method this is Day 4. They have gone on a “bunny date” once prior in the bathtub  
            How frequently do you have bonding sessions, and how long are they?- They are together 24/7 for the past 4 days 
            Have you tried any stressing techniques?- Car rides, shaking their enclosure 

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

Neutral territory is really important, so you can try disguising the area a bit more. I would go back to the last set-up where things were going well and spend more time in that enclosure before moving on to the next step. Once you start seeing positive behaviors you want to really let those behaviors cement before moving them or changing things around.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Attempt to bonding using 24/7 method