Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING attempt at unaltered bonds…

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
    • MirBear
      Participant
      1412 posts Send Private Message

My mom says im strkictly NOT allowed to fix either bun untill ive tryed bonding them at least… so here we go… AGAIN!

my little sister helped me today for the firstmeeting… it went GREAT!

we started by letting twix hop around the bathroom before we broght hershey in. when i brought hershey in i let her lie between my legs on the floor. twjx had a few territorial poops and cametl say hello… at first she stood back to see what  hershey would do. then came and sniffered her… it was perfect.. twix didnt lunge or anything. she started grooming hershey   next we switched.. i held twix while hershey ran around… she ignored twix for the most part… the third time we switched hershey was being held when twix walked up. she thumped at twix but twix just walked away. next time we switched i held twix… hershey approached twix and twixed kunged (i had my hands around her so she didnt go anywhere) we decided to end it then so ill update tomorrow..

Srry forgot to take pics..

• Deleted User
        Participant
        22064 posts Send Private Message

It is a bad idea. You are setting yourself up for more trouble. can you afford a vet if an ear gets torn off? Intact females sometimes coexist in a very large space but usually not before a serious fight has scared the other bunny into submission.

• Monkeybun
          Participant
          10479 posts Send Private Message

definitely definitely do not bond them unaltered! ESPECIALLY since a vet has not sexed Twix!!

• MarkBun
            Participant
            2842 posts Send Private Message

Sorry about the responses but it isn’t a good idea. Hopefully those reactions will have your mom approve of the altering.  Trouble is that bonds can change after alterations since rabbits will ‘smell’ different due to the lack of the hormone production.  Not to mention if there is trouble when trying to introduce two unaltered animals can easily disappear after they are altered.

My response to your mom’s statment would be if she’s OK with spending the money on 7 alterations instead of 2 in case you don’t have the sexing right and you wind up with a litter.  Of course it’s easy for me to say that, my mom lives 3000 miles away.

• MirBear
              Participant

twix has been sexed… she is a female… it was not by a vet but my boss knows her bunnies. (i work at a pet store.. volenteer hours for school)

• MirBear
                Participant

my mom grew up in the country where bunnies were livestock… she accepts them as ‘pets’ but not enough to fix them… im going to at lezst try this if any somewhat seriouse fights break out then i will stop but i have to try for the sake of changing my moms mind.

• Deleted User
                  Participant

MirBear, explain to your mom that intact females are unpredictable and volatile, They have a temper that can hit any time. It is hormones that causes this.
                    Also, you mentioned your sister watches them sometimes, is she old enough?

• Monkeybun
                    Participant

I’ve had bad experiences with pet store people mis-sexing bunnies too… I’d only trust a vet that knows bunnies.

• MirBear
                      Participant

my boss went to vet school but chose to be a groomer instead.. so she does know bunnies and has never been wrong before.. petzy, my little sister is 10 and hershey is HER bunny she knows how to look after them properly…

ive tryed explainging that to my mom.  her grandfather had bunnies when she was younger that lived together in a pen outside and none were altered. (i tryed telling her that those bunnies didnt live full lives so they were a bit different…. they were bred for meat yes… that is NOT the plan for hershey and twix)   she still thinks they would be fine unaltered..

• Deleted User
                        Participant

Certainly your sister then would not be able to stop a rabbit fight. She could even get bitten herself.
                          MirBear, if you can’t get them spayed because your mother doesn’t believe in it, and Hershey belongs to your sister, then I’d suggest keeping the rabbits separately and forget about the bonding.

I know you are trying to do the right thing, but right now you are running the risk of getting Twix and Hershey injured.

• MirBear
                          Participant

my sister is under strick orders not to bring them out together.. that is only if i bring them out together… that was my main point in holding one and letting the other come sniff and then switch… that way i can stop anything before it even happens

• Monkeybun
                            Participant

I agree with Petzy.. just keep them apart. It isn’t worth the risk of injury, especially if vet bills will be your problem.

• MirBear
                              Participant

yeah fair enough… im just thinking if i dont at least tryt hen i wont be allowed to get them fixed and if i have anymore buns while i live here then they wont be allowed to get fixed either….

so it wouldnt just be for hershey and twix but also for future buns

• Monkeybun
                                Participant

Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about new bunnies til you can afford the vet bills regularly. They get expensive!

• MirBear
                                  Participant

what i meant was.. if anything happens to hershey and twix as they get older i would probably get a new one…

• jerseygirl
                                    22345 posts Send Private Message

Mir, your Mum will consider getting them fixed if they don’t bond? Is that right?

• MirBear
                                      Participant

if they dont bond she’ll let me get them fixed… but i still have to pay for it

• MarkBun
                                        Participant
                                        2842 posts Send Private Message

Mir,

Again, I hope that we all are not coming across too harsh – we’ve just encountered here before people who had planned one thing and wound up with something else all together (usually a new litter of baby bunnies). We are not insinuating that you, your sister or your mom are bad people to raise rabbits, just letting you know what we think is best for the buns. I would still get them fixed as soon as you’re able – one thing that hasn’t been brought up is that domestic female rabbits have around an 80% chance of developing uterine cancer by the time that they are 4 years old. That is the main reason that I recommend altering female rabbits. My first rabbit was an unaltered female who was a complete terror and died by the time she was 4 from cancer.

The hardest thing I have found is convincing those who have seen rabbits as livestock and meat that they can be pets that are just like cats (it’s the way I explain it to people who have no idea about rabbits).

• MirBear
                                          Participant

ive told my mom about the cancer thing already.. it didnt have any effect on her… she wont let me alter them unless i have tryed bonding them….
                                            anyways i thought id do 1 more sesion before i would say they “didnt get along”.. there was no grooming but alot of snuggling…. they were floped over lying together… so cute couldnt find my cam untill later today so again.. no pics…

• Beka27
                                            Participant
                                            16016 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits can be happy without a bonded mate as long as they have plenty of playtime and interaction from their people. I wouldn’t even risk trying to bond… for their safety AND the safety of you and your sister. If I remember correctly, this isn’t the first time she’s said one thing and then changed her mind. I truly believe she will not allow you to get them spayed, regardless of what you do.

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING attempt at unaltered bonds…