Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS area rug suggestions for hock issues?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • DanaNM
      8935 posts Send Private Message

So, Myra’s hocks were getting better at our old place, but I just noticed they seem to have gotten worse. I think they are still in the callus phase. We have all the same rugs that we did at our old place, plus I just lined their whole pen with shepette (a faux shearling fabric), so I’m stumped!

My only suspicion is that Myra has taken to hanging out in front of the fire place (not lit), which is brick. I just added a soft fleecy blanket on top of that area, because it’s really the only thing that’s different and worse in terms of flooring!

In case that doesn’t help, does anyone have suggestions for area rugs that are both easy to clean (Bun Jovi has some accidents, plus you know how hay pieces are), and are soft on bunny feet?

Affordable is also a consideration! Currently 1 rug is a woven cotton rug, the other are these short low rugs. They all feel pretty soft but aren’t plush by any means.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
        16908 posts Send Private Message

What’s underneath? If the floor is hard, perhaps she just needs some cushion under there.

• Wick & Fable
          5782 posts Send Private Message

Agreed that cushioning may help. Joann Fabrics has become my friend because I recently learned you can not only purchase bulk fleece there, but also large cuts of memory foam! From Wick’s enclosure, I know that Sheepette will cling beautiful to memory foam — I use 0.5in height for Wick. If you lay either fleece or Sheepette on top, it will 100% not budge and both fleece and Sheepette will take the bulk if not all the urine/moisture accidents which would occur instead of it getting into the memory foam (admittedly Wick’s pees and tendencies haven’t test that rigorously, but the small accidents he’s had haven’t leaked through, even when I don’t notice them immediately).

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM

Ooh that’s a good idea. Currently under the sheepette is a pee pad, then foam puzzle mats. So it’s not super hard, but not that soft either. Then the area rugs are just on wood sub-floor (the flooring is one of the things on our big list of To-Do’s in the new house).

I do wonder if I could swap out one of the current area rugs for  from of those woven cotton rugs that would be softer. It’s really just an expense issue, since the area is so large.

She also hasn’t been hanging out on the bricks since I put the blanket there, so that’s good.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Ellie from The Netherlands
              Participant
              2512 posts Send Private Message

Glad that I may be able to help you for once Dana! ^_^

We had to do a complete overhaul of the living room to welcome Owen and Molly. When we first clipped Molly’s nails we saw that she was getting sore hocks as well: hair loss and dark pink skin.

We have bought 1 large rug and several small rugs from IKEA. Even though they’re synthetic they don’t give rug burn, and it reversed Molly’s sore hocks within 2 weeks.

On the floor we have a 2 by 3 metre Tyvelse, it comes in several sizes.

https://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/p/tyvelse-vloerkleed-laagpolig-donkerrood-60426854/

As a lining for the hutches and to cover small empty spots in the room we have bought several small Toftlund sheepskin-style rugs. They’re super easy to exchange and barely cost a thing. We have washed them several times on a delicate setting, and they’re still good ^_^

https://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/p/toftlund-vloerkleed-wit-20420241/

• DanaNM

Oooh thanks! That Tyvelse one looks gorgeous, I wonder if it’s available in the US?

And I actually have a few of those Toftlund rugs already! Myra would just avoids them, LOL! What is up with buns just avoiding all the soft things we put down for them? I swear my buns run in the gaps between the rugs.

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                  Participant
                  2512 posts Send Private Message

That Tyvelse really surprised me, because it’s a short-pile rug but still really soft. Normally people advise against synthetic short-pile rugs, but it doesn’t seem to cause irritation.

I tested the rugs at IKEA by sliding the inside of my wrist across the carpet really roughly. (With, against and across the direction of the pile). “If we get rug burn or an irritation, so will the bunnies”, was my logic.

• DanaNM

That’s a great way to check!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS area rug suggestions for hock issues?