Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Are these bunnies strays?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • Hannah
      Participant
      274 posts Send Private Message

I was walking around my campus at about 2am last night, and at one poitn I walked up a set of stairs and, to my great surprise, noticed two little bunnies to my left. Without really thinking much about it I pulled out my camera to take a picture, but the more I thought about it and watched how they were acting, the less I was sure they were wild bunnies. On the one hand, they *were* small and brown with white undersides, but they also didn’t seem very scared of me (they did still try to run away, but they let me get much closer than say, the bunnies in my backyard), had shortish ears, and one of them washed his face in front of me. I also thought it was strange that they were out not only together, but at 2am. So, without further ado, here’s the picture I took– what do you guys think? Am I being paranoid, or do they look like strays?

12174924571.jpg

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Very hard to tell with that picture really. All I see are glowing eyes really.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
          Participant
          12067 posts Send Private Message

yeh I find it hard to tell as well. What do wild rabbits in your area look like…Do these resemble them at all?

• kralspace
            Participant
            2663 posts Send Private Message

I copied the photo and washed it out til you can see their outlines, sorry, it was so dark (well, she did say it was 2am…lol) there weren’t a lot of details to be brought out.

121235645971.jpg

• Hannah
              Participant

I had thought that they didn’t, because the bunnies in my backyard are much “pointier” looking than these ones. They have longer limbs and ears, and more streamlined faces– however, one of my suitemates just informed me that the bunnies at his house on the Cape look like that, and that North Quad (where I was wandering around) is known to have a lot of bunnies, and that he’s seen them there before. Apparently it’s the bunnies in my yard that are strange! We may have a different kind of cottontail there than here. So anyway, I think it’s been resolved, but I’m going to go back around the same time tonight if I can and see if they’re still there.

• Hannah
                Participant

(Also, I apologize for how dark the picture was– I took a few and that was the best. u___u The flash didn’t do a very good job of lighting up the environment.)

• angoralvr
                  Participant
                  500 posts Send Private Message

If these bunnies are indeed wild bunnies from the area. I would think it is likely that much of the “wildlife” in the area has probably become accustomed to seeing lots of people. Do you go to a big school? If so, it’s not all that uncommon on big university campuses (and popular vacation resorts for that matter) to see wildlife that doesn’t really seem to be scared of passersby. At least that’s how it is around here.

• xnovalentine
                    Participant
                    309 posts Send Private Message

Along the lines of what Angoragrl is saying, at my school the squirrels are so accustomed to people, they let us feed them and they will sit next to you on the benches (it happend to me once…it was sooo funny!). Maybe they were just accustomed to see people around, even at that time at night (it is a university!!!).

• MimzMum
                      Participant
                      8029 posts Send Private Message

When I autofixed the levels on the picture, the buns were very brownish looking to me with very bright white fluffy tails. Where I am, our wild buns can look like that, but usually have a longer head and neck. These little guys have theirs tucked in pretty tight, so it’s hard to tell.
                        If I had to take a guess, I’d say wild. But I don’t know every variation of the species, so…. :/

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant
                        4293 posts Send Private Message

They look wild to me, espcially with that brown agouti color.  Here are some pictures I located of wild rabbits;

What was that I heard?

http://www.laspilitas.com/easy/easycritters.htm

Take a look here for some wild MA rabbits found by the Charles (these look like a match):

http://www.northrup.org/photos/crap/Animals2/nl-80.htm

• skunklionshow
                          Participant
                          1257 posts Send Private Message

I agree that college animals tend to be overly friendly.  I went to undergrad in Chgo and our campus was directly on the lake shore.  We had the fattest friendliest squirrals around.  One of the little guys used to do tricks for food.  What I’m trying to say is often wild animals can develop odd social habits for food & survival.  I’m guessing they are wild.

• wendyzski
                            Participant
                            1312 posts Send Private Message

Northwestern or U of C?

• skunklionshow
                              Participant
                              1257 posts Send Private Message

I went to Mundelein College.  It is on the shore side of Loyola Univ.  Mundelein was taken over by Loyola during my freshman year.  Loyola ended up taking away my scholarship and my major.  I ended up completing undergrad at Columbia College in the S. Loop.

• xXPanicXx
                                Participant
                                286 posts Send Private Message

i always see thos bunnies at the U of C. i think the ones in the pic arnt wild, but thats my opinion ^.^

• Vinnie D.
                                  Participant
                                  55 posts Send Private Message

Those pointier bunnies are probably hares which have longer faces, longer limbs and a more elongated body, and are overall larger. Rabbits, wild and domestic are shorter and have that cuter pudgieness. Those look like american cottontails, which are genuine rabbits. And as well fed as those look, they’re probably not starving abandoned bunnies.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Are these bunnies strays?