Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Are leashes safe and ethical?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • PocketFaeries
      Participant
      81 posts Send Private Message

Hello, bunny buddies!

I would like to gather your thoughts, feelings, opinions, and personal experiences regarding leashes for rabbits. I have seen these products for sale, but have been hesitant to buy one because I would like to know more about the practice of leashing rabbits before I decide.  I have a background with other exotic animals where leashes are sold, but are NOT a safe, responsible option so my worries may be carrying over into the bunny world.

Do leashes put the rabbit at any increased risk of injury?  Are they generally accepted in the rabbit community, or regarded as inappropriate by some?  My home has a lovely organic grass lawn and garden, and I would be happy to put a pen area outside for Finn to explore in, but wondered about trips outside on a leash. I’m just not sure what I think of them yet.  Any experiences or thoughts from those of you with more knowledge on this than I would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  Jen

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

It depends on your rabbit. Because Rabbits move soo quickly they *could* easily hurt themselves on a leash. Also, you would never want to put a coller or harness on your bunny and leave her unsupervised!
          However, I leash my kokanee; I put her leash and coller on and take her outside and let her run around. That way, if she were to escape the yard, I could grab her leash. I just let her run around, supervised the whole time, with her leash dangling.
          BUT if you would consider putting a pen in your yard, I’m sure your bunny would prefer it!

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

Hi Jen, I tried this on my first rabbit too before I decided this was an awful idea for him and other rabbits. He just got all stressed out and tangled up in it – I thought it was just too risky and stressful. I don’t think rabbits outside are a good idea anyway, at least where I live – even though you have an organic garden there are still dangers.

Here is an article Dr. Patenburg wrote for the North Texas Rabbit Sanctuary about dangers outdoors for rabbits. Dr. P is one of the best vets in Texas for rabbits – she’s see alot so she knows what she is talking about.

Sarita
            —————————–

The Indoor Bunny
            by Loretta Pantenburg, DVM
            Summertree Animal & Bird Clinic

I know rabbit owners often think that their rabbits would love to be able to play outside, but is that what your bunny really wants? And, more importantly, is that what is best for your bunny? As a veterinarian, I see the sad side of what happens when pet rabbits are allowed outside. I see the rabbits with heat stress that die because their owners did not realize that rabbits do not tolerate temperatures over 80 degrees for long. Rabbits that are kept inside in the cool air conditioning, then put outside to “play” in temperatures they are not accustomed to, often get heat stress, or worse, heat stroke. The few rabbits that survive heatstroke must be monitored for days afterwards for signs of kidney failure.

Sometimes when rabbits are let outside the neighborhood dog or cat gets in the yard, resulting in injuries or heat stress from being chased, or bite wounds from the dog or cat. Anything that frightens a rabbit (ie: dog, cat, loud noises, etc.) can result in the bunny kicking and hurting, or even possibly breaking, its back.

What other problems do we see when rabbits are kept outside? Rabbits are very good at escaping from very small gaps in a fence and they almost never survive to return home. External parasites are a big problem, especially in Texas and other warm states. The most common parasites we see are fleas and mites. These can lead to skin irritation and, in severe cases, significant blood loss or anemia. Fleas are a host for tapeworms.

We also see fly larvae (Cuterebra) and tapeworm infestation. This begins as eggs or larvae in the soil which then migrates through the skin to cause local abscesses and infection. In severe cases, brain or neurological damage may occur. Treatment often requires surgery or prolonged antibiotic therapy. Fly bites may carry pox virus, which can cause lesions that occlude the rabbits sight or breathing and make them vulnerable to infection. Shope’s fibroma is a tumor caused by a virus, carried by vectors (like flies), that is seen in rabbits.

By far the most common, and worst, thing we see is the bunny that comes in with maggots in its skin. This is usually around the rectal area, secondary to urine or feces getting on the fur, and flies laying eggs on the area. The result is usually a very sick rabbit with severe skin wounds and infection. Treatment usually involves anesthetizing the rabbit, removing the maggots, cleaning and debriding the wounds, treating with antibiotics, and LOTS of follow-up care by both the owner and the veterinarian.

So what do I, as a veterinarian, recommend? Try setting up a play area inside your house. Include a variety of play toys, items to chew on, and ideally a companion rabbit. Provide a rabbit-safe environment, free from the worries of heat stress, injury, trauma, and parasites, and your bunny won’t miss the outside. He will also enjoy a longer, healthier, happier life.

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

Sarita, that was a great read, thank you for sharing.  I don’t like the leash or harness idea. In fact I like leashes less as those are restricted to the neck and a bunny can get its neck broken easily that way if it is jerked.  Rabbit motion is also sporadic and hopping, jerky movements for a leash, so imagine trying to keep up.  I would stick with a pen and enjoy having a sit with them inside of it on the grass (if you still want to take them outdoors).  I think I can say that all of us with bunny rescue experience or volunteers have seen or know a few sad stories of owners who "just turned their back for a second" and it ended in tradgedy. As a personal choice, my two stay inside and come out for occasional visits on a covered porch when I am out reading so I can keep an eye out as well as a squirt bottle or hose for any cat that wants to drop by.

Here is another article about outings for a rabbit:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/outdoors.html

• xirishsweetheartx
              Participant
              70 posts Send Private Message

I always wondered about the leash thing to your posts answered my thoughts. Thanks.

• wendyzski
                Participant
                1312 posts Send Private Message

My Pepper very much enjoys the occasional trip outdoors.  I have a harness for her that has a Y-strap arrangement over her chest.  She’s not very fond of it, and wiggles a lot when I put it on, but then I have a terrible time trying to get her to come back in.  I only take her out when the weather is cool enough. 

I have the kind of dog lead that extends unless you "brake" it with your thumb, which prevents her being hurt by a sudden leap or change in direction. She usually runs about for a bit, then she stretches out on the grass and lets me pluck all her loose fur off.  Then she will hop around a bit, and nibble on some particularly tasty grass, and then comes the "but mom – I don’t WANNA come in!" chase.  All told, about 45-60 minutes max.

I know there are risks when a rabbit goes outside, but in her case I think they are balanced by how much she enjoys new experiences.

• Gravehearted
                  Participant
                  2428 posts Send Private Message

One of my dear friends had a bunny who LOVED to walk on a leash. In my lifetime I’ve been slave to seven rabbits. Not a one of them has liked to walk on a leash. It just seems stressful for them and something they just don’t especially enjoy. I do have a neat front pack for dogs that my buns think is only slightly less stupid that leashes.

I personally think some time in a pen is much more appreciated by bunnies. But, I also have real concerns about a bird of prey swooping down on the pen, which is a terrifying idea.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Are leashes safe and ethical?