Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Are crows dangerous to house rabbits?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Fiver
      Participant
      22 posts Send Private Message

We just set up our covered porch to allow our two rabbits to go outside and enjoy the day.  The porch has a fence which will not allow the rabbits to go out into the yard.  We never let the rabbits out there unless they are surpervised due to the many animals:  foxes, raccoons, etc.  The problem is that we have noticed a couple of large crows hanging around when the rabbits are out.  Not that we think a crow could carry off a rabbit.  But we have heard of smaller birds of prey attacking rabbits… I won’t go into the details.  Our one rabbit is only 3 pounds so a large crow could be a problem.  The porch is rather long.  If a clever crow managed to land on the roof above the rabbit without the supervisor noticing, they may not be able to scare the crow off before the crow hurt our rabbit.  Are crows considered dangerous to rabbits?

• JK
        Participant
        2223 posts Send Private Message

Absolutely! They can be very nasty. I would not take any chance at all. A few months ago, one of our members here had a hawk try and take one of her rabbits and the bun had two toenails tear off from trying to get away. Not worth the risk.

• JodiM
          Participant
          99 posts Send Private Message

Have you considered making a scarecrow??  Or get one of those plastic owls, aren’t they to scare off birds??

• Alicia Conklin
            Participant
            721 posts Send Private Message

I don’t know if this would be possible at all but I know they make netting like a mesh that goes under covered porch roofs and like goes on a track…kind of like a hospital partion? to close the porch off to make it like a screen porch.  I have no idea if this is an option or anything ..but if it is that might help..and you might be able to create something like that yourself to offer them some protection…or even those tunnels that they make for cats to go outside in?

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant
              4293 posts Send Private Message

lecasler – I would not put it past a crow to cause harm to a rabbit (especially if they went after their food). I have not heard of any cases regarding this specific species but I think it would be worth the extra effort to buy a deterrent for the crows. And never ever leave your rabbits outside unattended.

• Nicci607
                Participant
                320 posts Send Private Message

lecasler:

A crow definitely can carry off a bunny rabbit. You know, those crows are hanging around for one reason!! > your Rabbits <. Bet, those crows can't wait to get a hold of them!!

Be VERY careful, and AWARE!! As crows are very tricky!! And, yes, they are a danger to your rabbits. I would never ever leave your bunnies unattended when they are outside!! Not even for a minute!! Freak “accidents” happen all the time!!

*Bunny-Hugs*

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Are crows dangerous to house rabbits?