Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE April Chat!

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author
    • Azerane
      4688 posts Send Private Message

Apollo, Apollo, Apollo!

One of the animal rescues nearby recently got in about 100 buns from only 2 separate owners. I think 70 of them were from one location and they came from 2 intact buns within 4 months!! Which is just crazy. Keep in mind that’s 100 rabbits just in BEFORE Easter. I can’t imagine what it’s going to be like after. If we weren’t renting I’d probably have another four buns by now, lol. Another rescue has a gorgeous giant pair with dutch markings at the moment. I’d adopt them in a heartbeat if I could. I keep dreaming of the day when a miracle happens and we can afford to buy our own home and have all the pets and foster pets and I won’t have enough time to do everything 😀

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

Yay Apollo!

OMG 100 rabbits! Man, everywhere I turn it seems that rescues are overrun. 🙁

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• prince dorian the bun
          Participant
          743 posts Send Private Message

I was checking on Miu’s parents to see if they got adopted,  but sadly not and there are more rabbits than I have ever seen. I know they were asking for extra foster families for dogs too. I wonder as people are having to go back into work that’s causing them to dump the pets they got during quarantine? I get sometimes for every one involved it is better to surrender an animal that you can’t care for and sometimes life forces you too. But I do wish people would actually think of them as lifetime commitments rather than whims. And also look to shelters before breeders.

Anyway… happy April every one. It’s really been a beautiful spring in the PNW, buns even got some deck time!

• Courtney Wasserstrom
            Participant
            1 posts Send Private Message

Hey guys! I’m new here and don’t really know how to ask a question so I’m gonna do it here I think. My rabbit is 10 years old, he used to have no problem when I groomed him but as he got older he progressively hates it. I will pull the fluffs with my fingers (only the ones sticking out) because thats all he will let me do, and he always snorts and try’s to kick me away. He’s never had this problem before. Today I did a big groom where I did multiple fluffs. I can tell hes getting matted by the tail but he won’t let me do anything about it. He has arthritis so sometimes petting is painful for him, but I can’t imagine that just pulling a fluff from the surface is painful? Any advice?

• prince dorian the bun
                Participant

Hi Courtney, Welcome! I am pretty new to owning buns, so mine are only a few years old. I know with elderly cats grooming is painful, so sure with buns it might be similar. Do you have anything to help with pain? I don’t know if gaberpetin (possibly misspelt) is okay for buns to use, but some bunny safe mild pain meds might help. I would ask this question in  HOUSE RABBIT Q & A  room as you will get more views and hopefully better advice! This thread is more general chart and can not get a lot of traffic.

• Bam
                16878 posts Send Private Message

Hi Courtney and welcome to the BB forums!

It could be that your bun’s arthritis is causing him pain so that he’s become very tender to the touch. Like if a person has generalized pain, pretty much any touch however light might cause pain, because all the pain receptors in the skin are “on edge” and ready to fire. If he’s not already on an anti inflammatory pain med, you could look into putting him on one. A low maintenance dose of Meloxicam can make a huge difference for pretty much any animal that has age-related arthritis. (Longterm meloxicam should be combined with famotidine, a cheap OTC drug that protects the stomach lining).

If he’s already on meloxicam, it might be giving him insufficient pain relief, since arthritis tend to get worse with the years. It can be combined with Gabapentin, as Prince Dorian mentions. And, as Prince Dorian also mentions, questions placed in the Q and A-section of the forums are more likely to be seen and replied to. To create a new topic, you click the Add Topic-button in the upper left corner of the forum section. If you run into trouble doing that, please send me or one of the other moderators a PM, and we’ll be happy to help!

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                  Participant
                  2512 posts Send Private Message

Yikes, you can’t even use the bathroom while bonding bunnies!! I walked back into the living room and found the fence open, with Owen and Molly both out. One of the two has learned how to open the door in the fence panel 😯 Luckily there was no fighting like the last time they were together.

We’re in the process of hutch swapping now. Bonding them seemed to go really well, except when they try to sort out dominance: they are equally stubborn and both refuse to submit.

Bonding them went so well that they could walk around the house together for more than an hour. Two days later there was a big snuggle session in non-neutral terrain. Then they tried to sort out dominance, and it led to a bunny tornado with fur flying. Not just once, but also the next time that they saw each other 🙁

With some excellent help from you lovely people here we’ve reset the process. The fact that they didn’t fight immediately when the door opened is a good sign.

Just to keep our spirits up: this is what we’re doing it for:

• prince dorian the bun
                    Participant

Good luck Ellie!! In retrospect my bonding was easy, but certainly didn’t feel like it during the process, so you got this!!! It will be so worth it once it’s over!

Dorian has spring fever, he actually tried to mount Miu… he is not a mounter (neither of them did it during bonding so I was a little surprised) and she was a little like nope! and spun around and just looked at him hard, there was no chasing or any aggression and he stopped as soon as she showed lack of interest. He’s had been grooming her and I think got carried away, but who knows what goes on in those bunny brains at times. He also decided at midnight to do zoomies for 15 minutes loudly in the living room (My poor downstairs neighbors) followed by dramatic floop in the middle of the floor.

• DanaNM

Dorian is definitely the MOST dramatic!

I take my 4 to get their first Medgene dose tomorrow. It’s a 2 hour drive but I know I will be so relieved once they get it! And of course after our move I know they can handle some driving. I’m also super thankful that this vet is putting on a lower cost vaccine clinic… it’s still expensive IMO ($80 per rabbit), but much better than the other place I had called which was going to be $140 per rabbit because they were charging for a full exotics consultation PLUS full priced microchipping PLUS the vaccine. Things add up when you have 4! Of course I would find a way to do it either way, but when I got them vaccinated in CA it was only $30 per bun, so the cost stung a little!

I also watched a webinar and one person from a rescue said they vaccinated a 14.5 year old bun and he did great, which made me feel much better about putting Mr Bun Jovi through the ordeal.

Wish us luck!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• DanaNM

Made it home!

All 4 buns did great and started eating right away after we got home. Such troopers!

I’m so relieved! Not looking forward to having to do that drive again in 3 weeks, but hopefully by the time they need their booster it will be more readily available!

• GlennTheLionhead
                          Participant
                          361 posts Send Private Message

Woohoo! Well done bunnies! Long journeys are always so worrying with buns.

My fingers are crossed that they make the vaccine more available in your area soon!

Ellie – good luck with the bonding, hopefully you’ll get there! I am already dreading (but also excited) having to start a whole new bonding process at the end of the month.

• Azerane

So glad the vax trip went well. It’s always a bit nerve wracking having them spend so long in the car.

Ellie, I hope the bonding is going well.

I was able to visit with my sister’s family for the first time in over 2 years yesterday! It was so much fun. They happened to travel interstate right as the pandemic was beginning and they ended up living there permanently as a result. They travelled nearby recently so they could visit with our Nanna in case she passed. Seeing the kids was amazing, they’ve all grown but the biggest “wow” was definitely in the youngest who’s gone from a chubby baby to a sociable 2 year old. The oldest who is 13 is nearly as tall as me!

My Nanna is still hanging in there, she’s slightly improved in a way but I don’t think she’s going to get better, if that makes sense. I think she may hang in there for the moment but it may just be a slow decline from this point on. Whether that’s a few weeks or a few months, who knows.

Apollo and Luna are doing well, Apollo seems to have developed a taste for Luna’s pellet mash so I have to be more careful about supervising meal times now.

I’m writing this while laying in bed, not using my pillow. Both cats were waiting for me on the bed when I got here, Jasiri is on my pillow. First time she’s ever slept on it, I couldn’t bring myself to move her. I assumed she would shift when I got into bed since she doesn’t like the movement, but of course she stayed. Send help.

• prince dorian the bun
                              Participant

Long car trips are never fun, glad they all did well with their vaccine and the journey Dana! I haven’t been able to get it for Dorian and Miu yet. Hoping it’s because no local cases.

Sorry about your Nanna Azerane. It’s never easy to watch the slow decline.

On a happier note, spoiled kitties! I sat on the floor as the buns were hogging the couch the other day, so get it!

Participant

@Dana: I’m so happy that there’s a vaccine, finally! I’m rather worried about RHD2 because there was no vaccine available outside of Europe. It’s a dreadful disease 😥

So happy that your buns got it, even if it needed a long stressful car ride!

@Dorian: Thanks for the well-wishes, and the same to you! You’ve got a beautiful new bunny, and I hope that they’ll make a very cute fluffle together!

@Azerane
                                  : Thanks for the well-wishes as well ^_^ It’s great that you could see your family again, what strange times we had in the last couple of years…

Sorry to hear about your Nanna. Growing old is a blessing, being old is not 🙁 I hope that she has enough help around the house so she can live comfortably.

It’s good to hear that Apollo is eating well again, even if he’s being naughty ^_^

We have a bit of news about the bonding: there’s been a lot of mirroring! I really hope that this is the next step in bonding. For many animals it means that you’re empathising with the other: we humans do it too if we like someone.

Today Bas sneakily made this pic of Owen and Molly flopping. Owen flopped first and Molly followed.

There was more mirroring yesterday: they follow each other if they move, and they copy each other.

Molly had already eaten her food, but Owen went back for round two. Molly followed and just licked the rim of her bowl for show.

It’s not only Molly who mirrors though: Owen had just drank a lot, but when Molly went to drink he copied her and just took two sips.

• DanaNM

Awww would ya look at them! Mirroring is a good sign for sure!

• Bam

Az, I’m sorry about your Nanna.

Ellie, that pic is bunderful!

Hoppy Easter everybunny!

I’m making air fryer beetroot chips (crisps, for British readers).

• GlennTheLionhead
                                      Participant
                                      361 posts Send Private Message

Azerane, sending well wishes for you and your Nanna, sounds like a hard time. I am glad the bunnies are doing well though!

Ellie that looks like agreat sign! What cuties!

Ooooh Bam those beetroot chips look great! I love them and so do the bunnies 🙂

I was at the supermarket today and found this cute easter decorations to put in the bunnies room all year round! It had never occurred to me before that easter decs could actually make great bunny room deco

View post on imgur.com

• Bobby & Lulu
                                        Participant
                                        1 posts Send Private Message

Hi, sorry I’m new to the platform and I’m not sure where I’m meant to ask questions…so I thought I’d ask mine here? If you can tell me how to submit them usually that would be great! I have two rabbits, male and female. Both are fixed. They’ve been bonded for over a year now and in the last week the male had an eye infection. Gave him the drops prescribed by the vet and his eye is a lot better. I’ve noticed that since his eye recovering he’s been humping the female a lot more. He’s always humped her, even after bonding, but never as much as he is now. They still lie together and eat together, as well as grooming each other. I was wondering if anyone has any previous experience with this? Or thinks that their bond could be broken or that they should be separated and ‘rebonded’? Thankyou!

• BunnyLass568
                                            Participant
                                            446 posts Send Private Message

I’m new to owning bunnies so take what I say with some salt so to speak. Are they fixed? If not the seperate them or else you’ll have a bunch of kits (baby bunnies) on your hands! If they are fixed then I wouldn’t worry about it too much since doing that is a dominance thing so he’s basically saying “I’m the boss here” but if they start fighting then separate them. I hope you get advice from someone with more experience because, again, I’m new to owning bunnies too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)💔💔💔💔

• BunnyLass568
                                            Participant

To the people who need help making a thread; go to the Forum then go to where you need to go then click “Create Topic” and it’ll scroll you to the bottom of the page. Put in your title and description then hit “Submit” and you’re done! I wanted to add pictures but for some reason I can’t but I hope this helps and that I explained it well enough.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)💔💔💔💔

Participant

@Bam: Wow, those look amazing! Those rich colours are really appetising, it would make a great decoration for an autumn or Christmas dish too!

@Glenn: Cute! ^_^ Yes, we couldn’t help ourselves either, so we bought cute rabbit-themed things too!

There’s this pot which is going to be the new treat jar:

And there’s a breakfast set that’s going to be a gift for my best friend. She had a bloody awful year with lots of bunny problems: 3 sick rabbits, one rabbit death, and a big mistake by the shelter who bonded her remaining bunny.

They bonded him to an intact female, while the staff said that she was fixed. As a cherry on the cake she turned out to be partially urine incontinent as well! 😯

My friend is home with a burnout now, and I really hope that these will cheer her up a little:

• prince dorian the bun
                                                Participant

I am glad I’m not the only one who goes a little crazy with Easter stuff! I got cute carrot placemats for the buns and small container. Thinking of going back after Easter and see what’s on sale! Had a rough night with Miu, she’s molting and think she had bloat. Luckily 3rd dose of simethecone and belly massage got things moving around 3am. I was just about to full on panic as nearest emergency vet that has bun vet on staff was a 2hour drive. Really don’t get why in a urban area there aren’t more options.

Ellie looks like the bonding is going well!

• BunnyLass568
                                                  Participant

I already made this as a topic but decided to add it here too if it’s ok. Hoppy Easter to those whom celebrate! To those who don’t, I hope you have an amazing Sunday!

Participant

Dear Owen, could you please stop trying to get yourself into trouble? I admire your creativity and curiosity to find new ways, but you’re driving me up the wall… 🙄

Long story short: Owen probably ate 1,5 cm of a tie-wrap yesterday. He seems to be totally fine, my nerves are anything but. Young bunnies….

Owen is very much a free bunny: he hates being confined to a hutch or a pen, no matter how large it is. It was his time in the exercise pen again and he disagreed with it, loudly. He grabbed the pen in his mouth, lifted it up and slammed it up and down.

I was completely sleep drunk yesterday morning because Owen woke me up 4 times that night with his antics with the execute pen. I decided to tie a weight to the exercise pen with a tie-wrap.

As I was finishing the project the end of the tie-wrap bounced away into his pen, and I thought: I’ll have to pick that up once I finish this here. But I was so sleep-deprived that I forgot it within seconds, and I remembered it just as I was in bed and dozing off. You guessed it: it was nowhere to be found… 🙁

The vet told me to watch him closely, feed him a lot of hay and to give him some “ontbijtkoek”. That’s a sticky kind of Dutch breakfast cake, and the vet said that it can help to catch and coat small sharp particles.

Owen is totally fine, pooping like a champion and eating a lot. I never found the piece of the tie-wrap, not even after a big sweep through the pen. Owen is a lovely cuddlebug and very energetic, but his antics are so dangerous at times 🙁

• Azerane

Thank you everyone for your thoughts about my Nanna 🙂

Cute bunny Easter supplies! Fortunately I didn’t have any money to spend this year, lol.

Ellie, I hope Owen came through his tie-wrap eating episode ok. Bunnies get into the silliest things.

I have been having major “new pet needs” recently. At least that’s what I’m calling it. I’ve been wanting Spinifex hopping mice for years now and last week out of nowhere I got a little bug in my brain about a potential cage design for them. So I had to get that down on paper and draw it up, and then of course I had to research the things I would put in the cage and how much they would cost etc. lol. It’s not something I can afford at the moment anyway but it’s been fun researching and drawing up plans etc. At least I’ll be organised. xD

Participant

He did pull through and is eating and pooping well 🙂

I’ve never had bunnies as young as they are, and it’s a lot of work to keep them safe. They have so much energy and want to explore everything. You can try to bunny-proof everything, but they’ll still find a way to get into trouble.

To be really honest: I actually wanted an older bunny, doesn’t matter if they have health issues or behaviour problems. Bunnies calm down quickly around me, and it would have been lovely to have a bun who is calm enough to cuddle up. It’s a shame that the shelters wouldn’t cooperate, I’d gladly have adopted a problem rabbit.

It’s the cuddles and the feeling of warm bunny fur against me that I miss the most. Breintje absolutely loved skin contact: it made him very relaxed and sleepy. He picked at my clothes at times if he wanted me to roll up my sleeve.

I often rolled back my sleeves and put a bare arm around him. He’d lean into it and purred. Or I’d slip into my nightie so he could snuggle up against my leg for the evening.

Owen and Molly are still way too energetic to cuddle, but we are working on petting them. It would be fantastic to have a bunny sleep against me again on the sofa, it was so relaxing for me as well.

• Bam

Az, I’ve never even heard of hopping mice! Must google! I follow a few Aussie wombat rescue accounts on insta, though. I obviously cant get to foster a wombat, but maybe you could and post a gazillion pics for us to feast our eyes on? 😃 😂 (Jk, of course).

Ellie, I so hear you about young rabbits! I think cuddliness comes with time though. When I got my Yohio back in the day he was ostentatively not cuddly -who has time for cuddles when there’s hot water bottles to chew, shoe laces to snip, leather bags to eat chunks out of?

• Azerane

Ellie I’m glad to hear there weren’t any issues with Owen. Young rabbits are so very different to middle-aged and older buns. Apollo and Luna really don’t do much at all, lol.

Bam, hopping mice are the cutest things. I could only find this picture of a hopping mouse on my computer at the moment from a pet store. I’m not actually sure if it’s a Spinifex hopping mouse, or a Mitchell’s hopping mouse, since it was the largest mouse in the tank and much more sandy in colour than the others. But they look almost identical anyway, lol. They’re so cute, big eyes because they’re nocturnal, big back feet and long tufted tails. They’re not truly domesticated and they’re not a good species to handle but they can be hand tamed and petted. Also they’re adorable, which is probably the most important factor in addition to the fact that they don’t have that strong mousey smell that domestic mice have. I’m also keen on Dunnarts as well, they are sort of dwarf hamster-sized insectivorous/carnivorous marsupials, but they have a much shorter lifespan. The hopping mice can live 4-6 years in captivity.

• LBJ10
                                                                16908 posts Send Private Message

WANT!

Participant

So cute! 🥰 It’s also great that they live much longer than other species.

I love rats because they’re so clever, but I couldn’t deal with their short lifespans. It’s 2-2,5 years tops for pet rats, and that’s barely enough time to bond.

• BZOO
                                                                    Participant
                                                                    330 posts Send Private Message

I had a rat we raised from a pinky live to almost five.

I bond immediately, which is why I grabbed him away from the stupid kid that brought him to school to do God knows what.

• prince dorian the bun
                                                                    Participant

Hopping mice are so cute, I had a pair of white mice when I was little,  but like Ellie with having a hard time with the short life spans.

And Ellie, I get the young bun not stay still for cuddles. Dorian snuggles with me on couch in evening and will just melt anytime you pet him, but Miu barely stays still. I worry sometimes I won’t bond as well with her as she just wiggles off and so I end up hanging out with just Dorian.  But then I remembered it took him a couple years to get this snuggly. Just be patient,  they will get there, though it’s hard if you’re missing Breintje

Participant

Thank you for your kind words, Bam, Azerane and Dorian! Yes, I’m still missing Breintje every day.

As the vet said: he’s bonded to you like to a bonded mate. I guess I’m experiencing what bonded bunnies miss when they lose their mate: the loss of always being together and caring for each other. We were practically glued to each other in his later years: always sitting or napping against each other.

Bas said that Breintje wasn’t as sociable as well in his first 2 years. I wouldn’t know of course, because we met when he was out of his adolescent phase already.

I guess I’ll have to wait until Owen and Molly are a little older and work on our bond in a way that fits their age. There is some bond already. They do follow me around all day and try to attract my attention. When I wake up Bas has already given them breakfast, but I’m still getting binkies when I step into the living room.

What hinders me in bonding with them is that I have problems getting on the floor. I can only manage that on very good days, so I have to find a way to get them on the sofa to interact with them.

I bought some dried herbs at the prey shop, and I crumbled them. Then I put them on a little blanket which is in the sofa next to me. They hop onto the sofa sometimes to browse for herbs, and this is how I can make them comfortable around me.

Molly is a bag of nerves, so I have to sit still with my phone on silent. I can’t pet her yet, but sometimes she gives my hand a few licks. I purr or speak cute words and give her a raisin. I managed to sneak this picture of her:

Owen is a lot more relaxed, and sometimes he even sits down on the sofa after a browsing session. He was on the sofa for half an hour yesterday, and I could pet him for 10 minutes. He was clearly enjoying himself. 🥰

• Bam
                                                                        Moderator

It sounds like you’re making progress, Ellie! Owen certainly looks very comfortable in that picture 😃 Really clever of you to make the sofa an interesting spot with herbs!

Participant

LOL, I just noticed the typo in my post. “Prey shop” instead of pet shop. Oh my…

Yes, Owen’s always been the laid back one. I hope that he’ll calm his sister down a bit when they’re bonded.

Molly is very sweet and she can be very sociable at times, but she’s oh so nervous… She’s had 3 real panic attacks during her 5 months here.

I’ve started to make a little more noise and movements on purpose, in the hope that it’ll slowly desensitise her. When she’s in her pen and resting calmly I sometimes do things like shuffling my feet, moving my arms towards my head and crinkling with a bag. When she’s on the sofa I’m quiet and still, so she feels at ease.

• prince dorian the bun
                                                                            Participant

You’ll get there Ellie!

• Azerane
                                                                              Moderator

Believe it or not, today is Dory’s 6th gotcha day!!! How time flies… (bad bird pun). We’ve had plenty of ups and downs with her, but she’s still keeping busy destroying toys, making a mess, talking the house down and making noises that are too loud for my ears! Since we moved last year the layout of the house is actually much better for me to get separation from the noise she makes which was difficult at the last house. I love her, but I don’t cope well with sudden loud noises or incessant high pitched squeaks. As far as birds go she’s actually pretty quiet, but when she’s loud, it’s deafening, lol. We’re still battling with her plucking issues, I think that could very well be lifelong at this point, but trying my best to keep her entertained. Even if the cats complain about being shut away when Dory comes out for some exercise.

• BZOO
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                  330 posts Send Private Message

We have a Senegal that is completely bald on her entire chest/belly.

Her previous home only fed her sunflower seeds, smoked and two of the people apparently didn’t like her (she’s a very nice little bird) and yelled at her a lot.

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE April Chat!